Bookshelf with tweeter control?

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
I read sixmoons from time to time as they have reviews on a lot of mini monitors and I came across these speakers from WLM which has a tweeter control on them. I was wondering what does that do and according to their specs they have a FR of 32Hz–25kHz which is very uncommon for such a small speaker. They are pretty damn sensitive as well at 97 dB – 1m/1W.

http://www.wlm-loudspeakers.com/indexengl.html

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
according to their specs they have a FR of 32Hz–25kHz which is very uncommon for such a small speaker. They are pretty damn sensitive as well at 97 dB – 1m/1W.
At 18" X12"X10" with a 10" woofer, they are not exactly small. They refer to them as "economical" but don't specify the price. Some manufacturers think that $1000/pr is "economical".:eek:

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
From what I can see, it attenuates the high end. Now, from what frequency it starts attenuating and what sort of slope it uses is another question entirely. FWIW. these controls were pretty common back in the day. ..and they helped many a user fit their speakers into their environment.

Also, that the frequency response raises two questions in my mind:

1) There's no deviation (+/- so many db) given

2) It's dependent on a third component as well

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I read sixmoons from time to time as they have reviews on a lot of mini monitors and I came across these speakers from WLM which has a tweeter control on them. I was wondering what does that do and according to their specs they have a FR of 32Hz–25kHz which is very uncommon for such a small speaker. They are pretty damn sensitive as well at 97 dB – 1m/1W.

http://www.wlm-loudspeakers.com/indexengl.html

The control gives you up to 6db attenuation on the output to the tweeter. It is almost certainly a wire wound potentiometer between the output of the high pass filter and the driver. In the good old days just about all speakers had these controls. That was before we leaned to design our crossovers properly. Those drivers by the way look suspiciously like Tannoy knock offs, and might even be Tannoy drivers.

Tannoy by the way have made the finest coaxial speakers since the 1950s. The Tannoy Monitor Golds have always been among the finest drivers available for over fifty years.

http://www.tannoy-speakers.com/s.php?section=Residential&skin=white&sub=1

Take a look at the Prestige line on the above link.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
At 18" X12"X10" with a 10" woofer, they are not exactly small. They refer to them as "economical" but don't specify the price. Some manufacturers think that $1000/pr is "economical".:eek:
Actually they are $2600 Euro! LOL :eek:

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
The control gives you up to 6db attenuation on the output to the tweeter. It is almost certainly a wire wound potentiometer between the output of the high pass filter and the driver. In the good old days just about all speakers had these controls. That was before we leaned to design our crossovers properly. Those drivers by the way look suspiciously like Tannoy knock offs, and might even be Tannoy drivers.

Tannoy by the way have made the finest coaxial speakers since the 1950s. The Tannoy Monitor Golds have always been among the finest drivers available for over fifty years.

http://www.tannoy-speakers.com/s.php?section=Residential&skin=white&sub=1

Take a look at the Prestige line on the above link.
I like the retro look of those Prestige. Bet they are super expensive?

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
funny, made me think of the new SVS MTS line, they have a tweeter attenuator switch on it...

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
funny, made me think of the new SVS MTS line, they have a tweeter attenuator switch on it...
So do the Outlaw bookshelves, which also have boundary switch(for bass) as well.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
In the good old days just about all speakers had these controls. That was before we leaned to design our crossovers properly.
I find a type of tone control to be indispensable. This can be done at the speaker, or ideally, in a proper DSP full active crossover system, or at least a high quality digital studio DSP equalizer between the pre-amp and amplifier. :) But most people will never do those last two things, and the built in treble controls on say the typical receiver are far from ideal. In addition, to effect a a proper tweeter attenuation slope requires knowledge of the speaker's actual inherent response curve.

My view on co-axials; I have yet to see them pulled off without severe compromises. The Tannoys measure well(in context), only when you consider the insane topology they use: large cone mid bass drivers with a tweeter loaded in the center. But utlimately, they measure poorly overall when compared to very good standard layout speakers such as a B&W 802D. One very obvious problem is the degree of reflected/delayed energy as the upper mid and treble bands radiate from the relatively deep mid-bass cone area - the effects upon frequency response and final direct to listener CSD are substantially negative.

Stereophile measured the high end Tannoy Church Hill and one of the Tannoy Dimension models. The off axis response decreased very rapidly on both models in the treble band, as would be expected with this particular design.

Theile co-axials seem to measure better overall, considering both off axis response and reflections showing up in the CSD. But yet, Theile speakers do not seem to have cabinets built as well as the Tannoys, at least when you consider cabinet panel resonance.

-Chris

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis