bookshelf speakers in a bookcase?

R

roland61970

Enthusiast
is this a stupid question? What would be the detriment of actually putting unported bookshelf speakers into the entertainment center ( full wall unit to be built) for my mains?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
If the speakers are sealed (no ports) then the only detriment to putting them in an enclosed space is the possible diffraction of the high frequencies as they hit the front of the cabinet.

If you can pull them out to the lip of the cabinet, you can minimize that effect somewhat. You might not even notice it anyway, but purists would never put any speaker in an enclosed space.

J

jimmit

Junior Audioholic
Like Anonymous said, it can be done but it's possible you could end up with some resonance from the entertainment center shelving. I have bookshelf speakers in an entertainment center, but they rest on the base cabinet of the center, not on a shelf per se. The base cabinet is very solid. I ensure that the front baffles of the speakers are well forward of the edge of the cabinetry. Like anonymous suggested, there are some purists who would gasp at thought.

F

Fb111794

Audioholic Intern
To help minimize resonances, you could use some damping material under and around the speaker enclosure. Sorbathane comes to mind, but is very expensive. A roll of ICE & WATER SHIELD (smooth surfaced) used in roofing applications will work as well as sorbathane at a third of the cost.

Of course, you can buy the Sorbathane by the sheet and the Ice & Water shield, you would need to purchase at HD by the 100 sq. ft. roll. Unless, you call a roofing contractor and ask to purchase some of their un-used partial roll product "left over" from a job. Most would be glad to help you out.

I'm with the other posters though.... speakers placed within an enclosure like an ET center, is just not a good idea..... Sealed enclosure or not. Just too many things WILL go wrong with the sound.

B

bpape

Audioholic Chief
Besides getting all kinds of reflections, you're also going to absolutely trash any sense of a stereo image across the front. If it's what you have to do, then at least put some absorbant material in the space and get them out past the lip as has been previously suggested.

J

jimmit

Junior Audioholic
I have to take exception to what bpape said. Yes, it's possible to get reflections, depending upon your room acoustics and how your speakers are positioned. And yes, it's possible that the imaging may be reduced. But these are not foregone conclusions. As I said before, I have my bookshelf speakers in my wall unit entertainment center. My speakers (Paradigm Reference Studio 20's which are front ported) image as well, if not better, than the 20's did in the three stores where I auditioned them. It can be done.

In the world of electronics, there are some, purists, who are absolutely uncompromising in their quest for audio nirvana. Nothing will get in their way of achieving the "perfect sound." Not that there's anything wrong with that. However, for most of the rest of us, compromises are the norm. We like perfect sound too, but it's not the end of the world if we only get excellent or very good sound. For us, there are other considerations -- money, aesthetics, room configurations, WAF, etc.

My suggestion is to find a dealer who will let you audition them in your home after your wall unit is built -- just to be sure that you get the sound you're looking for. Remember, position them so the front baffles are forward of the edge of whatever they're resting on. Ensure the tweeters are at ear level. Experiment with "aiming" them; in most cases, they sound better when they're toed in slightly so that they're aimed at the listening position.

F

Fb111794

Audioholic Intern
roland61970 said:
is this a stupid question? What would be the detriment of actually putting unported bookshelf speakers into the entertainment center ( full wall unit to be built) for my mains?
Another thought comes to mind....

But, first, a question.... Do you already have your speakers and if so, are you able or willing to consider other options?

Since the wall unit is yet to be constructed.... you could use high quality "in-wall" speakers.... then have the speaker "enclosures" in he wall unit built to the correct size to match your in-wall speakers.

You could then take these enclosures a step further by completely damping the interior of the enclosure with the Ice & Water shield or Sorbathane, and even add some poly fill and you would most likely have MUCH, MUCH better sound than sitting boxes inside of boxes and all of the probelms doing that creates.

And jimmit.... I'm sure your system "sounds" fine, but you just can't ignore physics, no matter how much you would like to. If you took your speakers out of the ET center, placed them on a good sturdy stand.... at the same height and toe in, you would be amazed at the improved side to side and even more importantly, the front to back imaging. I would also bet the middle to upper mids would benifit a bunch as well.

Of course, like you say.... compromises are sometimes necessary. ESPECIALLY when it comes to the WAF! :D

Good luck roland with your project. Let us know how it turnes out!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis