Bookshelf speaker shootout

P

photoeye

Audioholic
Hi,

just like to know if audioholics will be having another
bookshelf speaker shootout any time soon. If so,
would you consider reviewing the diy Dayton UA701CCK Usher Speaker Kit Curved Cherry from partexpress?

Heard good reviews here and there about this kit. It would be
nice to hear from the guru's here at audioholics. Here is set
where you don't have to take the speakers apart! ;)

thanks.

Happy New Year to everyone! :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
A buddy of mine who has built many DIY speakers said he has heard the Usher kits and they are very nice.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Hi,

just like to know if audioholics will be having another
bookshelf speaker shootout any time soon. If so,
would you consider reviewing the diy Dayton UA701CCK Usher Speaker Kit Curved Cherry from partexpress?

Heard good reviews here and there about this kit. It would be
nice to hear from the guru's here at audioholics. Here is set
where you don't have to take the speakers apart! ;)

thanks.

Happy New Year to everyone! :D
I believe that they are working on having a floorstanding shootout this time around.

SBF1

R-Carpenter

R-Carpenter

Audioholic
Can't say that I heard this particular kit but the drivers are world class, up there with Scans and Seas. Very low distortion.
This kit should be on the same level as $2k a pair commercial loudspeakers in audio salons.

R

RacineBoxer

Audioholic Intern
Can't say that I heard this particular kit but the drivers are world class, up there with Scans and Seas. Very low distortion.
This kit should be on the same level as $2k a pair commercial loudspeakers in audio salons.
What's your thought on their ability to play loud, for HT and rock music (eagles, foo fighters, metallica, alice n chains, etc..) use in a 15x20 living room? I'm looking to build a front 3 for a 60% HT and 40% music system and was looking at these and the dayton 722 Dr.K design. I liked that the 722 has 2 woofers but they are 4ohm which is pretty hard to drive for most basic HT receivers.

Thoughts?

R-Carpenter

R-Carpenter

Audioholic
I've build 4 HT sets based on Dayton RS drivers. They kick behind for HT. Excellent drivers for the price and they can play loud. They will make you feel every bullet, laser or whatever the hell is being shot in the movie. Nice tight bottom end. I do feel that for the music they luck refinement.

I drive my own HT with Marantz 6001 including MTM CC with no problem.

Usher on the other hand is a fantastic driver for music. I've used 8945A and 8945P. I paired them with Hiquphone OW1 which is my favorite silky. For HT they are just not as involving as Dayton RS but boy oh boy, do they shine on the Yo Yo Ma or Stravinsky.
Which one is louder with less distortions? I've pushed Ushers to the point then it looked like the diaphragm would fly out and did it with noise canceling headphones on. It held.
Daytons distort a bit more, then pushed to the limit but you have 2 of them in 722.
Surely all this comments are subjective and crossover design has to be taken in to consideration.
Bad crossover can make a good driver sound like .....
You could always invest a bit of time and alter the crossover later on if you wish.
There's free software like ARTA out there.
Are you open to the idea of having vertical 2-way speaker for a center channel (which will actually perform better then horizontal MTM)?

In short, I'd go with Dayton RS for HT and Ushers for music. Either speaker will sound great and will have great price-quality relationship.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis