R

Ruusta

Audiophyte
Hi Everyone. I have a 20 foot boat, i want to get some speakers for my boat to just play music off my iPhone. I do not want to get a whole receiver/cd player unit, just a pair of speakers and have a wire that I can plug my iPhone into. I am having a hard time finding a simple system/set up for this. I did see one kit by Kicker that was $400...any suggestions?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
"just a pair of speakers"

Hi Everyone. I have a 20 foot boat, i want to get some speakers for my boat to just play music off my iPhone. I do not want to get a whole receiver/cd player unit, just a pair of speakers and have a wire that I can plug my iPhone into. I am having a hard time finding a simple system/set up for this. I did see one kit by Kicker that was $400...any suggestions?
You do realize that" just a par of speakers" require an amplifier of some sort to drive tem, don't you? Do you have some sort of amplification available?

If not, some sort of Ipod dock (or some such) will provide amplification and speakers. OR, a boom box with an auxilliary input will suffice.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Smaller boats often have a 12 Volt DC battery power system, so automobile audio amps will work.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Most boats use similar systems to cars. 12v systems without marine grade head units and marine rated speakers which are cut into speaker locations in the boat. Not sure if your boat supports this, but that will give you solid results.

On the super cheap side...
DUAL MXCP43 Stereo Receiver/Speaker Package at West Marine#

What level of performance and quality do you want? There are tons of marine solutions out there.

S

Smith

Audiophyte
I rebuilt my boat from the ground up over the last few years and I did a lot of research on audio, but I didn't see anything like what you're asking for.

You need to stick with marine audio, especially if you're near saltwater. Marine audio's electronics are built to resist corrosion. Many of the internals are epoxy covered. Secondly, inexpensive marine audio is suspect. I went through two Dual and one Boss unit and had to take them back because two didn't work at all and the other had a defect. I went to West Marine to check out the selection and came away completely unimpressed with anything below $400. I finally decided to spend the extra money on this Clarion. It works beautifully. The black box is mounted in the cabin and I use the commander like a wired remote that's mounted near my driver's seat with Clarion's removable gimble. I haven't tried it, but you're supposed to be able to hook your iPod (not sure about iPhone) to the black box and control it through the remote Commander. I paired it with these Polk speakers. I'm not recommending this for you. Just saying you're probably going to have to spend the money for something that works.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis