Blur around objects during fast moving scenes on bluray movies.

E

ehurnie

Junior Audioholic
The setup.
47LH90 47" LG LED TV and PS 3

During fast moving scenes objects will be clear but the scene that outlines the object blurs out. I wanted to know if anyone knows what this is and how to fix it.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I've never tinkered with either, but

on the PS3, see if you can have 24p engaged.

on the LG, play with the dejudder setings, particularly looking for "Real Cinema" which is used for 24p (flim/bluray) sources.

I think, after quick google, that your FI cannot be defeated when using anti-blurring tech. TVs, historically, have had problems with FI engaged on fast moving material, but OTOH I spotted one review that said your unit has excellent FI. CNET says that your unit also suffers some blooming, which I might suspect could exacerbate your issue, but take that with a lot of salt.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Welcome to the unfortunate world of "blooming". Your LG LH90 display is what is known as a "local-dimming" display. Essentially, there are about 80 separate "blocks" of LED backlights behind the LCD panel of your display. Each of those 80 or so "blocks" can dim or brighten independent of all the other LED "blocks". This allows the LH90 to produce a very deep level of black and deliver high contrast.

But there are over 2 million pixels on you 1080p display and only 80 or so "blocks" of LEDs. That means that each "block" is responsible for illuminating many, many pixels. So sometimes, you will have a bright, but small object moving across the screen. The "blocks" have to brighten so that the small, bright object looks bright. But this also means that the darker area around the small, bright object gets brighter because the "block" of LEDs is so much larger than just the object. This creates a "halo" or "blooming" effect around that small, bright object. All the other blocks can dim down, but that one block behind the small, bright object has to lighten and this creates to "bloom" of light that you are seeing.

There is no fix for this. It is one of the biggest problems for local-dimming LED backlit LCD displays. Only using far more "blocks" will reduce the effect and that will require a whole new display.

E

ehurnie

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the explanations, that makes perfect sense. As long as I know what's wrong I'm ok with it.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the explanations, that makes perfect sense. As long as I know what's wrong I'm ok with it.
Please do not ignore my previous post. You might be surprised at how much more judder/bluriness there can be, between outputting with 60p vs 24p, with film material. For me and my limited experiences, it's most obvious with rolling credits. Look up 3:2 pulldown for more info.

E

ehurnie

Junior Audioholic
I have an update. I typed in 47LH90 optimum settings into google and there is an article on cnet that has all the settings listed and what they should be adjusted to. Once I did this the problem went away and someone even replied to the article having the same problem. Hopefully this helps someone else out now.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I have an update. I typed in 47LH90 optimum settings into google and there is an article on cnet that has all the settings listed and what they should be adjusted to. Once I did this the problem went away and someone even replied to the article having the same problem. Hopefully this helps someone else out now.
Very cool. I like it when adjustments can be made to proove wrong the misconceptions of LCDs...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Link to this article or it didn't happen! :p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis