Bluetooth Speaker (s)

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I'm looking to buy a Bluetooth enable speaker(or two) for use when outside on my deck this summer. I currently have a JBL 'Charge 2' and while it is a capable little unit I would like something with more 'balls'. I definitely do not want one of those hideous looking units where the speakers flash different colors like some karaoke juke box.

Any suggestions ? I'd like to keep it under $200

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
JBL Charge 3?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'm looking to buy a Bluetooth enable speaker(or two) for use when outside on my deck this summer. I currently have a JBL 'Charge 2' and while it is a capable little unit I would like something with more 'balls'. I definitely do not want one of those hideous looking units where the speakers flash different colors like some karaoke juke box.

Any suggestions ? I'd like to keep it under $200
I got my GF a JBL Xtreme which is pretty much a pumped, 4.8" diameter Charge (which is 3.5") with bigger balls (it also has USB charging ports for your phone etc, like the charge)! It does a good job of satisfying a full sound pool-side and she now uses it anytime she is doing yard work or otherwise outside for more than 15 minutes.
A warning, it is bass heavy indoors, but works well outside. Of course you can always use an EQ setup.
This is a $300 speaker, but I got mine either refurbished or open box for around $200.
I see B&H has it in red for $200:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1182620-REG/jbl_jblxtremeredus_xtreme_portable_bluetooth_speaker.html?ap=y&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyZ6fjc3v2wIVlbXACh0QjAkJEAYYASABEgLvVPD_BwE&smp=y
Link to JBL for specs:
https://www.jbl.com/bluetooth-speakers/XTREME.html?bvstate=pg:6/ct:q

It has 2ea 1.4" tweeters and 2 ea. 2.5" woofers. I would think "wimpy", but have been impressed otherwise. I don't get that as the "end caps" are about 3" and routinely stroke 3/8"! For comparison, the Charge has 2 ea. 2" full range drivers, so the xtreme has larger drivers which are not compromised by the need to produce highs.

Another good alternative that is currently at a great price ($80 vs. $300MSRP) is the refurbished Harman Omni20 being sold by Harman via ebay!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/202285857547?pguid=0c9de5fa1630aa46a665d9e8ffbd1525&siteId=0&AdChoicePreference=true&rmvSB=true

This is not a portable speaker - you need to plug it in!
It is not tuned with the "outdoor" bass of the Xtreme.
However, it has great sound in an easy to carry/setup form factor.
It has 2 ea 3" woofers and 0.75" tweeters. Here is link to Harman for full info:
https://www.harmanaudio.com/speakers/OMNI+20.html?mrkgcl=989&mrkgadid=3291070830&utm_campaign=Con|DSA|Brand&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=paid-search&utm_term=Google_AdGroup&utm_content=Home+Audio|Loudspeakers&adpos=1t1&creative=271469675925&device=c&matchtype=b&network=g&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIto-m7NLv2wIVQ5NpCh1wKA9NEAAYASAAEgKaAPD_BwE

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I am remembering some of the research I did on the Omni 20 before I pulled the trigger. IIRC, the reviews were not very good, but the problem was that the wireless system for interconnecting several was hit or miss and that is how this item is market (I assume a Sonus alternative). I believe all review were favorable regarding sound quality.
Also at $80 (and if you have any use for an extra) you might get two and see of you can get them working either in stereo or as dual mono for better distribution of sound. If so that would be very nice! Don't get me wrong, a single does the job nice as you would expect, just thinking in terms of going from good to really good!

W

Winkleswizard

Audioholic
Have limited personal experience, but my sons have JBL charges and am amazed by the bass. I have an Amazon echo and am surprised by how good it sounds inside. Have not taken it outside. One of my friends sold me his old NAD stuff and he really likes Sonos. Checked amazon and looks like they have some models that meet your budget...

Ww

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis