N

norm962

Audioholic Intern
I'm using the motorola DC800 stereo gateway and when I use a cheapo interconnect it transmits anything. i recently swapped that out for the top of the line impact acoustics interconnects and cannot get my dvd player (coaxial connection) or my record player (same interconnect as gateway) to transmit via bluetooth. However, everything transmits to the speakers, so its not a problem there and my cable box, radio, cd player and ps2 all transmit over bluetooth (all via analog cables as well). When I switch out the impact acoustics cable the dvd and record player transmit over bluetooth, but I would like to use the better cable since bluetooth is already a compromised signal. Any ideas?

N

norm962

Audioholic Intern
UPDATE: the tech-support for impact acoustics thinks its the fault of the bluetooth gateway and that I should call motorola. Still, i just cannot figure out why some signals are played fine and others aren't at all

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Cheapo best cable

Obviously the cheapo cable is a better cable than the expensive one. Not uncommon. Send the expensive cable back for a refund. Use the cheapo cable and be happy. Whatever "Impact acoustics" say, the problem is clearly with their cable.

Seriously though, be very suspicious of the claims of all manufacturers of expensive cables. Most of this comes into the category of what I term "funny wire".

N

norm962

Audioholic Intern
I just don't get it...if it was all signals going through the impact cable, then I'd be happy to blame them! and if it was all signals that the moto gateway didn't send, then I'd blame them. For now, I'm using the impact acoustics cable and trying to contact moto-support to see if there's anything on their end. Overall, the impact sonicwave cables are great---more detail to my music and very clear...

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I just don't get it...if it was all signals going through the impact cable, then I'd be happy to blame them! and if it was all signals that the moto gateway didn't send, then I'd blame them. For now, I'm using the impact acoustics cable and trying to contact moto-support to see if there's anything on their end. Overall, the impact sonicwave cables are great---more detail to my music and very clear...
You say you are passing digital signals, the SDIF coax output from your DVD for instance. Digital signals are not like analog ones, there are bandwidth issues. Clearly the cheaper cable has the bandwidth to pass all the signals you want. The more expensive one does not. When passing digital signals the the price and make up of the interconnect are irrelevant. The cable has the bandwidth to handle the data stream or it does not. I promise you that even if they send you a cable that does handle the bandwidth, the results will be no better than with the cheaper cable. The sensible thing, and best thing to do is to use the cheaper cable.

N

norm962

Audioholic Intern
yeah, I'm leaning towards using the cheaper cable, but your argument has 1 flaw---its not passing the sound from the record player(over bluetooth), so its not an analog/digital problem----especially since the record player is connected with an identical impact acoustics cable. seriously, thanks for the help, its just mind-boggling!!!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Turntable output

yeah, I'm leaning towards using the cheaper cable, but your argument has 1 flaw---its not passing the sound from the record player(over bluetooth), so its not an analog/digital problem----especially since the record player is connected with an identical impact acoustics cable. seriously, thanks for the help, its just mind-boggling!!!
I assumed you were using a turntable that had a DAC and you were using the USB output. Turntables usually only output a very low voltage that needs RIAA equalization. This is usually accomplished with a preamp that has RIAA equalization or a phono preamp that does. A few turntables have a built in phono preamp, but these days they also usually have a USB output also for archiving to hard drive.

So what sort of output are you using from the turntable?

N

norm962

Audioholic Intern
just the captive plugs and the impact cables are connected to that with RCA female-to-female plugs---there isn't a ground and the phono-stage is built in. Its an older sony that was a part of a shelf system. It works alright, but I want to upgrade. Like I said, the whole bluetooth issues don't make any sense to me

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

It still has to be the cable

The equipment all works with the cheaper cable, so the equipment is all OK. There has to be something about the higher cost cable the system does not like. Without a lot of test gear your not going to find out why.

N

norm962

Audioholic Intern
oh absolutely, you're totally correct---I have no doubts that the motorola piece is fine---works first time and with everything else. No question, its not my reciever either---just for giggles I hooked the record player (with the impact cable) directly into the motorola gateway and still heard absolutely nothing through the headphones (no surprises there). What I don't get is what the problem is with the cable. Maybe I"m just beating a REALLY dead horse here, but shouldn't the cables (regardless of price), just transmit the sound regardless of frequency or bandwidth or anything else? I could see if I was using the interconnects as speaker cables or vice versa, then no sound would make sense--but I'm using a quality product for its intended purpose...oh well, such is life

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis