J

jayleaf

Audioholic Intern
first time poster here. i recently purchased a new sony BD player, only to find out it does not include optical jack. sadly i don't have a 3D capable receiver and the only way i could watch a 3D movie and enjoy surround sound was running the optical cable to the receiver. i was wondering if there is another option to solve this problem or will i have to return the BD player and find one that still has an optical connection. i've been told that many new players no longer have this feature, which seems unreasonable since i'm sure many people don't have 3D receivers at this point. just appreciate any thoughts on this subject. by the way the sound through the TV obviously stinks.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

Which make/model of TV, receiver, and blu-ray player do you have?

J

jayleaf

Audioholic Intern
Welcome to the forum!

Which make/model of TV, receiver, and blu-ray player do you have?
i have a sony S5100 BDP, denon avr3808ci, and mitsubishi WD73640 DLP television.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Are all of the digital coax inputs already filled on your Denon? If not (or if you're willing to swap one), you could connect the digital coax output on the Sony to one of those inputs on the Denon. Those have the same capabilities as an optical cable. If you aren't familiar with digital coax, you can use any RCA cable that you have around.

J

jayleaf

Audioholic Intern
Are all of the digital coax inputs already filled on your Denon? If not (or if you're willing to swap one), you could connect the digital coax output on the Sony to one of those inputs on the Denon. Those have the same capabilities as an optical cable. If you aren't familiar with digital coax, you can use any RCA cable that you have around.
thanks for the advice Adam. i will give that a try on monday. i'm wondering how much trouble i'm going to have figuring out what setting to use on the remote to acquire audio when i'm playing a 3D movie.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi. You'll just want to assign the coax input to whatever input selection you use for your blu-ray player. I got the impression that the Sony replaced an older blu-ray player. If that's the case, then I'm guessing that you have one of the optical audio inputs assigned to the source that you use for the blu-ray player. You'd just go into the Denon menu and assign the coax input for audio versus the optical input.

J

jayleaf

Audioholic Intern
Hi. You'll just want to assign the coax input to whatever input selection you use for your blu-ray player. I got the impression that the Sony replaced an older blu-ray player. If that's the case, then I'm guessing that you have one of the optical audio inputs assigned to the source that you use for the blu-ray player. You'd just go into the Denon menu and assign the coax input for audio versus the optical input.
good to know...your assistance has been much appreciated on this issue.

R

rschleicher

Audioholic
By coincidence, I just purchased the same Sony model (well, it is the Costco version of the S5100, which has a Costco-only number).

It WAS a little surprising to me that Sony decided to provide a digital coax output, instead of an optical output (for us folks with older AVRs that don't haved HDMI).

My receiver is a Yamaha, but your Denon may be similar. In my case, the receiver has three optical digital audio inputs, plus two digital coax. The digital coax inputs are "paired" or associated with two of the three optical inputs. So when the input labeled "DVD" is selected, the receiver automatically detects which of the coax or optical inputs has a signal on it, and uses it. If both are present for some reason, it defaults to the coax one. Interestingly, the one optical input that doesn't have a paired coax input, is the one that is labeled as being for the cable box. Maybe cable boxes were typically providing optical output, but not coax.... (Note that even though Yamaha chose to label these inputs with names, they're all the same, and don't really care what's connected. It just has to do with the default button labels, etc.)

One thing that I did with my old blu-ray (which also had stereo analog audio outputs), is that I ran those to the "CD" analog inputs of the receiver, in addition to the optical audio connection (which the receiver viewed as being from a DVD player). This way I could have different default receiver settings for when I was playing a CD. (For CD listening, I basically used regular stereo, in a straight-through mode of the receiver, with no processing.). Of course, this isn't possible with the new Sony player, since it has no analog outputs of any kind. So now, if I want to listen to a CD in the pass-through mode, I'll have to select it from the remote.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis