Blu ray player with multichannel pcm out?

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I'm looking for a BDP that can output multichannel pcm, the majority of them I've seen do stereo only if pcm is selected. Anybody know of one? Just regular HD, no 4k.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
PS3 will. My medium rent($200) Sony in my bedroom can too. Why wouldn't any BD player do it?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
PS3 will. My medium rent($200) Sony in my bedroom can too. Why wouldn't any BD player do it?
I think I read they save on license fees or a required chip or something for an onboard decoder and since most have an avr to handle...that reminded me to check my Sony 5100s, they will do multich pcm when set to pcm.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I think I read they save on license fees or a required chip or something for an onboard decoder and since most have an avr to handle...that reminded me to check my Sony 5100s, they will do multich pcm when set to pcm.
That's interesting. Might have known it would have to do with fees of some kind. I can't imagine that it would cost much. Maybe? Mine is set to pcm for BD so I never thought about it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
OP--why the concern for having the player decode vs your avr?

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
OP--why the concern for having the player decode vs your avr?
Because onkyo receivers lock their respective object based upmixers to their codecs, I prefer dolby surround, but a majority of blurays are in DTS MA, that leaves me with either converting DTS to lossy dolby digital with my current BDP, or outputting multichannel pcm. I can hear minor compression artifacts with dolby digital even at 640kbps, so I'd rather just have PCM.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis