Coult_45

Coult_45

Junior Audioholic
I have a receiver that has hdmi 1.1 but won't decode the new formats like Dobly TrueHD. I am finally going to buy a blu-ray player and I am trying to figure out what will give me the best sound.

I am thinking about a Samsung bd-c6800 and then hooking up the analog outputs. I am open to any other players around $200. (I know there are better players but I don't want to spend much more.)

If I use the analog inputs, will I be loosing sound quality because the sub doesn't have bass management? I am not sure I even understand what that is. I assume it is just what the subs are crossed over at. I don't understand what the sub is crossed over at through the blu-ray player. In the player, does changing the size of the speakers change the crossover frequency or just take the crossover off the speakers.

Would it be better to just use the Hdmi and not get Dobly TrueHD?

Any help would be appreciated.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I believe the new Panasonic with analog outs is just $150 right now. No question, that is what I'd go with. Bass management is in the player when you are using analog. It isn't going to be as good as the receiver's, but it will work.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
A receiver with HDMI 1.1 will accept a decoded signal of TrueHD or DTS MasterHD so all you need is a player that will do the decoding and pass the LPCM signal to the receiver. This way you can use the bass management in the receiver and not have to deal with 6 analog cables.

Coult_45

Coult_45

Junior Audioholic
A receiver with HDMI 1.1 will accept a decoded signal of TrueHD or DTS MasterHD so all you need is a player that will do the decoding and pass the LPCM signal to the receiver. This way you can use the bass management in the receiver and not have to deal with 6 analog cables.
That sounds great if it is true. I have a yamaha RX-V1600 can anyone confirm that my receiver will play these HD signals.

Also I would love to go with Panasonic but their website does not list any new models that have analog outputs. What is the newest model that has this feature. I looked at the bd85k's manual. It doesn't appear to have any crossover settings from what I could read. Is there a newer model with analog outputs?

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I used to have a RX-V1600 and can confirm it will do 5.1 LPCM just fine over HDMI. However, it will not do 7.1 PCM over HDMI (which I have personally confirmed with Yamaha), but you can always apply PLIIx to get 7.1 from any source.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
That sounds great if it is true. I have a yamaha RX-V1600 can anyone confirm that my receiver will play these HD signals.
I owned a Pioneer Elite Receiver that was HDMI 1.1 so I am sure it works this way.

I used to have a RX-V1600 and can confirm it will do 5.1 LPCM just fine over HDMI. However, it will not do 7.1 PCM over HDMI (which I have personally confirmed with Yamaha), but you can always apply PLIIx to get 7.1 from any source.
Thanks for that Glock. I was only in a 5.1 setup when I had the receiver so I did not know about the 7.1 issue.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Also I would love to go with Panasonic but their website does not list any new models that have analog outputs. What is the newest model that has this feature. I looked at the bd85k's manual. It doesn't appear to have any crossover settings from what I could read. Is there a newer model with analog outputs?
Someone asked the same question not too long ago and I posted the new model, but I don't see that thread now?? ALL players that have multichannel out and internal decoding have bass management. There are no crossover settings, just large or small and an 80Hz x-over, and level adjustments and this is typical of most players also. If you want something more configurable, then you will want to go HDMI with the receiver's bass management.

*edit for some reason it looks like the newer model is discontinued (but the 85 is still listed?), so that likely means a new one is coming.

Coult_45

Coult_45

Junior Audioholic
Fail! now on the right track.

Thanks to everyone's help i avoided buying a Samsung player that I really didn't want. Instead I bought a Panasonic bdt210. The audio worked out like people suggested (thanks again.) I wasn't really impressed with the video. Upon further investigation I noticed the receiver would only handle 1080i. I looked it up on the forums and saw that some people reported the rx-v1600 would only handle 1080i and other people got theirs to handle full 1080p. Anyways bestbuy let me take the bdt210 back and I ordered a player that has dual hdmi outputs, the bdt310.

Thanks to those that responded. I would have ended up with an older Samsung player that wouldn't have worked as well with my setup.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis