Blu Ray DVD Ads question...

Serj22

Serj22

Full Audioholic
So I've always wondered why they have advertisements on DVD's for buying Blu Rays, I understand the marketing concept, but they show little clips of movies during action sequences and then say things like "stunning picture quality" "5.1 Surround" etc... are you supposed to look at that clip and go "WOW! THAT REALLY DOES LOOK BETTER!" before realizing it's being played on a standard DVD and there is no difference in what you're seeing right now?

O

oppman99

Senior Audioholic
I had never really thought of it that way. Seems pretty funny if you think about it. Typical marketing. If you see it constantly, you are supposed to want to buy it. Unfortunately, it works in many cases.

H

HDPCsound

Audioholic
Just marketing slogans to sell the product, you should never rely on those...ask for reviews from real people first.

Serj22

Serj22

Full Audioholic
it just seems that in order to demonstrate the visual and sound quality of a blu-ray, you can't show it on a DVD, it just doesn't make sense. You go "WOW! INTENSE ACTION SCENE!" but it's the same if you watch it on DVD, there is no 1080p or anything, it's just regular old DVD quality but it says "Blu RAY!" "HI-DEF" then shows a scene, then "STUNNING" etc... seems like they'd need to sell you a Blu-Ray with the advertisement on it to make any sense.:confused: OR just say "The movie you're watching now would be so much better if you got it on Blu Ray!"

L

ljaggers

Junior Audioholic
I remember when they would advertise DVDs that way on VHS. Guess they count on us being dummies.

J

jvgillow

Full Audioholic
During the HDDVD/BDROM format war a lot of the marketing promo DVDs that were used in retail would show "side by side" comparisons of supposed DVD quality versus HD quality. All they did was make the DVD side of the picture look really crappy, since there was no way to actually put the 1080p quality on a regular DVD.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis