C

collegeaudio

Audioholic
Hi guys,

I had my Infinity 363's powered by an older but powerful Sony receiver up at my apartment while I was out of town. My roommates threw a party, where I'm sure they were cranked up to "11." One of them gave me a call to let me know that they now sound like something is wrong, he described it as sounding like they are being played underwater. Both have the same issue. I'm not there for another week or so but would like to order replacement tweeters if that is the issue. Does this sound like a blown tweeter, or a problem with the amplifier? I'm just glad I didn't have my nicer receiver and 5.1 set up there...

Either way, they will be paying for the replacement, I just want to order to correct things and hopefully without waiting to be there for a diagnostic.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
It's pretty hard to diagnose from here.

It could be the woofer as well. Odds are it's not the amp.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
......I just want to order to correct things and hopefully without waiting to be there for a diagnostic.
That doesn't seem like a very likely outcome.

Is it possible for one of you more competent roommates to put an ear to each driver and give a report?
Roommates and stereo equipment never seem to mix.:D

A

ACsGreens

Full Audioholic
2 step process
1)Get new tweeters
2)Get new roomates

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Blown tweeters are silent. Blown woofers just sound "weird".

Order both, or however many woofers are blown.

C

collegeaudio

Audioholic
I tried to get them to listen to each one, but their incompetence apparently isn't just in my instructions to not use the speakers.

Thanks for the advice. Rather than order things I might not need, I'll listen when I get there and report back. I hope it's not the woofers and tweeters - $50 in tweeters was already stretching the ramen budget thin.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'm guessing the tweeter blew and when it started sounding wrong, they decided to turn up the volume to compensate which blew the mid's!:eek:
Underwater sounds like woofer only to me, but that is just a guess!

My speakers were damaged twice in college - both times when I was away for the weekend! But I have to give them credit - in both cases, they took it upon themselves to fix it (not just paying for the parts).

My roommates were not that reckless, but I think every college party has somebody who thinks "that's a nice system, let's crank it!"

Last edited:
macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
Got a Fry's nearby? Get a new pair for 2 bills and call it a day..

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Got a Fry's nearby? Get a new pair for 2 bills and call it a day..
Good point, for that price it's easier to just replace them (with the roomates money of course).

But, I was once a poor college kid and I know that $200 can be a lot of $ when you are in school, esp since tuition and books just hit.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Good point, for that price it's easier to just replace them (with the roomates money of course).

But, I was once a poor college kid and I know that $200 can be a lot of $ when you are in school, esp since tuition and books just hit.
I bet the replacement drivers will run well over $200, but wouldn't mind being wrong!

C

collegeaudio

Audioholic
Okay, well I'm finally here and listening.

Here's what I've come up with:

Nothing coming out of the tweeters - definitely blown.

No audible cracking, popping, or other weird sounds. They just sound very off. It's a hard thing to describe, but it's like the midrange is muffled. Being played underwater was a good description, although slightly less drastic.

What is the most likely diagnostic? Other than the tweeters which need to be replaced, is it for sure the woofers as well? Can I take the speakers apart to look for visible damage? Or would that not get me anywhere?

EDIT: $125 each for two 6.5" drivers, one 4" driver and a tweeter...

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Okay, well I'm finally here and listening.

Here's what I've come up with:

Nothing coming out of the tweeters - definitely blown.

No audible cracking, popping, or other weird sounds. They just sound very off. It's a hard thing to describe, but it's like the midrange is muffled. Being played underwater was a good description, although slightly less drastic.

What is the most likely diagnostic? Other than the tweeters which need to be replaced, is it for sure the woofers as well? Can I take the speakers apart to look for visible damage? Or would that not get me anywhere?

EDIT: $125 each for two 6.5" drivers, one 4" driver and a tweeter...
If there is sound coming out of the other drivers, and you feel no rub or grating if you gently push the cones in and out, then those drivers are probably OK.

I would then just replace the tweeters and see how they sound.

The speakers with the tweeters blown, would likely sound as you describe.

C

collegeaudio

Audioholic
I have a tweeter on order, is it okay to play these speakers while it comes? The setup sounds okay if I'm using the towers at -10dB.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a tweeter on order, is it okay to play these speakers while it comes? The setup sounds okay if I'm using the towers at -10dB.
You won't damage anything. However I thought you needed two tweeters since both were blown.

C

collegeaudio

Audioholic
I am just replacing a tweeter to see if that is the only problem. If its all the woofers, I will replace them completely. I wish I had a Fry's, if own 5 pairs of these speakers!

M

Method

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the advice. Rather than order things I might not need, I'll listen when I get there and report back. I hope it's not the woofers and tweeters - $50 in tweeters was already stretching the ramen budget thin.
If it makes you feel any better I just spent $800 on a replacement JM Lab Focal Electra CC 1000 Be tweeter.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If it makes you feel any better I just spent $800 on a replacement JM Lab Focal Electra CC 1000 Be tweeter.
Ouch! I think that is the same tweeter as in my Solo6. I wonder if I can get it cheaper if it is a replacement part for pro-audio monitors?

What happened to it? Too much power? They seem to go pretty loud, IME!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis