STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
How would I, armed with only a multimeter, test to see if a tweeter is bad?

I have an old pair of ADS L620's and no tweeter sounds at all from either one. The fuses were both blown and are know replaced and still no sounds from the tweeters.:( I have read around abit and I get the impression that ADS speakers from this era blew tweeters even though there is an inline fuse.:confused:

I know these speakers are not worth much but I have always wanted to build a pair of speakers some day so this could be a good learning experience for me.:)

Anyway any advise would be great,
SBF1

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
you could run some 8-14khz signals from a small amp going directly to the tweeters and see if they make any noise.

My trick is to run a signal you know will not damage the driver. Also be creful to not put too much power through the tweeter while doing this.

R

ruadmaa

Banned
To Test Speaker

STRONGBADF1 said:
How would I, armed with only a multimeter, test to see if a tweeter is bad?

I have an old pair of ADS L620's and no tweeter sounds at all from either one. The fuses were both blown and are know replaced and still no sounds from the tweeters.:( I have read around abit and I get the impression that ADS speakers from this era blew tweeters even though there is an inline fuse.:confused:

I know these speakers are not worth much but I have always wanted to build a pair of speakers some day so this could be a good learning experience for me.:)

Anyway any advise would be great,
SBF1
Simply take a 1.5 volt flashlight battery and two wires. Hold a wire to each end of the battery and then take the other ends of the wire and touch the speaker terminals (one wire to the minus and one to the plus) . You should hear a click when you touch the connections. This will not harm your speaker. If you hear nothing when you touch the connections, the speaker is blown.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks guys.

I'll try the battery test first and see what happens. (I now remember hearing of this test somewhere.)

Is there a test that can be performed with a multimeter?

SBF1

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
Possibly the ohm meter? I have never used a multimeter to verify a tweeter was working, but that's the first thing I would think of.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Did the battery test.

Just pulled the tweeter out left all the wires attached and did the test. Popping sound came from the woofer but not the tweeter so I guess new tweeters are needed.

SBF1

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis