M

MNaudi

Audiophyte
Hi All, been out of the audio game for a while, but I’ve got a modest system in my basement with a 65” OLED, a Denon AVR-X3400H, two new RSL Speedwoofer 10S mkIIs, and some Klipsch speakers my brother got rid of. I don’t love them and as soon as I trust my son to not wreck them goofing around in the basement I’m going to replace them but for now I seem to have an issue with the center channel. The Audyssey graphs below are for the L&R RB-15s and the center RC-25. What the heck is that dip from 2khz to 10khz? A blown tweeter? I actually have an extra RB-15 with a blown woofer, so I might be able to swap that into the RC-25 if it’s possible.

Thanks!

Attachments

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi All, been out of the audio game for a while, but I’ve got a modest system in my basement with a 65” OLED, a Denon AVR-X3400H, two new RSL Speedwoofer 10S mkIIs, and some Klipsch speakers my brother got rid of. I don’t love them and as soon as I trust my son to not wreck them goofing around in the basement I’m going to replace them but for now I seem to have an issue with the center channel. The Audyssey graphs below are for the L&R RB-15s and the center RC-25. What the heck is that dip from 2khz to 10khz? A blown tweeter? I actually have an extra RB-15 with a blown woofer, so I might be able to swap that into the RC-25 if it’s possible.

Thanks!
Doubt it is a blown tweeter, as there would be no rise to 10K. It looks to me as if a cap in the crossover is failing and has a lower capacitance than it should. I am pretty sure this is cap failure probably due to aging.

M

MNaudi

Audiophyte
Duh! I was wondering about the rise in the higher frequencies, but my feeble mind did not consider the crossover. I suppose I could contact Klipsch to see if a new one is available, but probably not worth repairing unless I can get one cheep. I wonder if the RB-15 uses the same crossover. I would assume no, but I could take a look.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Duh! I was wondering about the rise in the higher frequencies, but my feeble mind did not consider the crossover. I suppose I could contact Klipsch to see if a new one is available, but probably not worth repairing unless I can get one cheep. I wonder if the RB-15 uses the same crossover. I would assume no, but I could take a look.
No! You fix the one you have. You open up the speaker and take out the crossover. Then you look at the value of the caps in the high pass crossover. Most likely there is one series cap that is the villain. You unsolder the suspect cap and solder in a new one. While you are in there check the resistance values of the resistors in the HF L-pad against the marked spec, in the unlikely event the resistors are bad. My money is on the series cap in the high pass circuit. Easy repair.

M

MNaudi

Audiophyte
I took it apart today, couldn’t see any obvious crossover issues so I swapped the tweeter with another similar (But different) unit from a RB-15 I have with a broken woofer. It appears that was the problem…

Attachments

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis