Black Market Speakers

K

konajoe

Audioholic Intern
Short of paying full retail, how can you be sure that you're not buying knock-off speakers? I guess one could call the manufacturer and find out if an on-line retailer, for instance, is an authorized dealer.

How do you assure yourself that you're getting genuine speakers on a site like eBay? Once you receive them, new or used, is there a way to tell that they are not black market knock offs?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
How do you assure yourself that you're getting genuine speakers on a site like eBay? Once you receive them, new or used, is there a way to tell that they are not black market knock offs?
If you are looking at speakers on Ebay - then post the links here, so we can respond.

You have already asked advice for recommendations for speakers in other threads, and
some were given to you. What is your real budget?

Are you spinning on a merry-go round?

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
If you are looking at speakers on Ebay - then post the links here, so we can respond.

You have already asked advice for recommendations for speakers in other threads, and
some were given to you. What is your real budget?

Are you spinning on a merry-go round?
I love merry go rounds, I like to choose the crazy looking horse and pretend I am in the wild west taming wild broncos...

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I love the old classic merry-go -rounds. I grew up with two greeat ones here in Jersey. One in Asbury Park was sold to a place in South Carolina in the late 70's/early 80's and now, the last one in Seaside Heights is being auctioned off. (Linky here) It's ironic that that one survived Hurricane Sandy and a massive fire a year later only to be sold. It's almost like "Final Destination".

Here's the what was the Asbury Park carousel.

Attachments

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I went to a retirement party in upstate NY {owner of a supply house I dealt with sold his business and retired, he was the first company to give me a line of credit when I started} and in his house he had one that came from somewhere on the west coast, he bought it out of storage for a couple hundred thousand then paid almost a 1/2 million to restore it and hand painted it back to original, it is gorgeous... They built the room its in around it and when he built the house 10 years earlier he planned for having a carousel in that entry room so he built the house u shaped and when the room was finally added it made it squared, genius design.... There are pics and an article about it on the net, pretty sick house...

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Short of paying full retail, how can you be sure that you're not buying knock-off speakers? I guess one could call the manufacturer and find out if an on-line retailer, for instance, is an authorized dealer.

I think you mean gray market speakers not black market.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would think it wouldn't be worth the trouble to make knock off speakers, and I am guessing that is why you rarely see them. Speakers aren't like handbags or shoes. Their construction is more involved, and its much harder to duplicate cabinets and woofers of hifi speakers as opposed to the stuff that's normally knocked off. It simply is not a cost effective item to knock off. It's also a smaller and more tightly-knit community. If someone is selling knock off speakers, word would spread quick and that seller would be shut down fast.

There are 'white van' speaker lines of cheapo imitator brands, but they are not knock offs. Crap speakers disguised as hifi speakers are not illegal in themselves, although perhaps a bit unethical.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I would think it wouldn't be worth the trouble to make knock off speakers, and I am guessing that is why you rarely see them. Speakers aren't like handbags or shoes. Their construction is more involved, and its much harder to duplicate cabinets and woofers of hifi speakers as opposed to the stuff that's normally knocked off. It simply is not a cost effective item to knock off. It's also a smaller and more tightly-knit community. If someone is selling knock off speakers, word would spread quick and that seller would be shut down fast.

There are 'white van' speaker lines of cheapo imitator brands, but they are not knock offs. Crap speakers disguised as hifi speakers are not illegal in themselves, although perhaps a bit unethical.
Gray market speakers are not knock offs. They are the real deal.

K

konajoe

Audioholic Intern
So, if there is something on eBay that says KEF, or Martin Logan, or B&W, one can be almost certain that it is genuine? I actually found a warning about, of all brands, Sonus Faber.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
So, if there is something on eBay that says KEF, or Martin Logan, or B&W, one can be almost certain that it is genuine? I actually found a warning about, of all brands, Sonus Faber.
Ask the seller if the speakers come with the manufacturer's warranty. The so-called Grey Market speakers are sold without a valid warranty. They should come at a lower price. As opposed to Knock Offs (counterfeit copies), grey market speakers are the real thing, but are not sold by an authorized retail seller. Some manufacturers insist that they will only honor a warranty if there is a bill of sale from an authorized seller, and other manufacturers are less difficult about this. So check the manufacturer's policy about this.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Maybe the Fabers that are made in the far east, I doubt the real ones (made in Italia). Anything made in the far east can be bought on the gray market. Usher had an issue a few years back and even posted it on their website (beware of gray market speakers). Friend of mine ended up with a pair like that from eBay (it's the real deal and not a knock off). Gray market speakers go for around 90% off retail to the buyer, high end models even more. Now if you're selling them at 50% off retail you're making a killing. 45' container can hold a lot of speakers (shipping from taiwan used to be around $5500.00 a few years back.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If you are worried about it then the answer is simple: buy from a reputable, authorized dealer. If price is your concern, then that's the risk you take.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
If you are worried about it then the answer is simple: buy from a reputable, authorized dealer. If price is your concern, then that's the risk you take.
This is the correct answer.

K

konajoe

Audioholic Intern
So, let me get this straight. Gray market speakers are speakers that are the exact same quality, but carry no warranty. Somebody got them from where they were built and bypassed the distributor. If there is a warranty issue, I'd be screwed.

What we're calling black market are true fakes. Kinda like buying a fake Gore-tex jacket that doesn't keep you dry. Are black market speakers (bad copies) of major speaker brands common? How might I recognize them?

I guess if I were to buy Ascend or NHT speakers, I wouldn't have to have any concern at all, new OR used.

The used market could get tricky if the seller doesn't have the original bill of sale. But if I get serial numbers, can the manufacturer verify that they are valid?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I think it was stated pretty clearly earlier that there is no "black" market, just grey market products.

What you seem to be talking about is counterfits, pure and simple.

Keep in mind that if something seems too good to be true, it probably is.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
So, let me get this straight. Gray market speakers are speakers that are the exact same quality, but carry no warranty. Somebody got them from where they were built and bypassed the distributor. If there is a warranty issue, I'd be screwed.

What we're calling black market are true fakes. Kinda like buying a fake Gore-tex jacket that doesn't keep you dry. Are black market speakers (bad copies) of major speaker brands common? How might I recognize them?

I guess if I were to buy Ascend or NHT speakers, I wouldn't have to have any concern at all, new OR used.

The used market could get tricky if the seller doesn't have the original bill of sale. But if I get serial numbers, can the manufacturer verify that they are valid?
Gray market speakers are all high end and top brand models. Nobody is gonna fill a container with speakers that cost a few hundred bucks. Now if you get a pair of 30k towers for 5k I'd go for it. If I have to worry about the warranty on anything I buy than I know I am buying junk anyway.

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I would think if an individual is selling, not a company, the probability is better that it is not a knock off.
Life is is full of chances but no guarantees, except death.

K

konajoe

Audioholic Intern
OK. Thanks everyone. What do y'all think about contacting the manufacturer, and giving them the serial numbers of used speakers that I would consider purchasing?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis