Black Box Theater - Need Subwoofer Advice

T

tbarden

Audiophyte
We have an 50'x35' (1800 sq ft.) dance studio that converts into a black box theater allowing several other uses including performances of music, theater, and the occasional movie night. At the moment we've got a couple of Communty Veris 8's hung from our lighting grid that provide L/R audio and we've been very happy with them especially when doing live mixes in the space. The subwoofer we had in the space til recently was so inadequate I'm too embarrased to name it. Since we've just installed the projector and screen we'll probably be converting to 5.1 soon.

I want to get a new subwoofer that can handle the range of uses it will be put to. I had been looking at pro sound subs but was dissapointed in the apparant audio quality available in my price range (under $800). DJs and bands seem to be hung up on 'thump' where I'm more interested in accuracy. I then got interested in cinema subs and have found a source for JBL 4645C's for $325. But I'm wondering if there's anything else that would be more appropriate.

Any advice?

Much appreciated....

Tim

T

Tom V.

Audioholic
For that space I can't imagine doing better than multiples of the 4645s at $325 each.

Tom V.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
a) Getting a $1500 sub for $325 sounds to me like deal of a century or simple "fallen from the truck" ;)
b) If Tom V says it's as good as it gets = then it as good as it gets.
c) you know the jbl is passive and you need some beefy amp to power it

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Even if the ceiling height is just 8' that gives you 14,000 cubic feet, which is nothing short of cavernous. 14,000 CF <> $800 + Sound Quality. You can get volume, and perhaps fill the space, but you simply aren't going to get good SQ without spending thousands of dollars. And without question you're talking at least duals of whatever you opt to get.

If you must stay around $800 then a pair of Seismic Aftershock might be worth considering. For a little more you can get their Enforcer II. A better choice would be the Behringer B1800D. JBL sells the MRX518S and the EON518S, which are also worth considering.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis