BJC and TechFlex Speaker Cable

skyline_123

skyline_123

Audioholic
I was so inspired by AverageJoe's DIY speaker cable thread back in 2007 (not going to post a link b/c his looks much better :D) that I went ahead and took a stab at it. I will be using them on the set of speakers designed by Dennis Murphy and Paul Kittinger that I'm currently building (thread coming soon). I bought the speaker wire and locking banana clips from Blue Jeans Cable along with the Techflex sleeving and cable pants from Parts Express. Here are the results.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Now I'm jealous. Nicely done. Looking forward to the speaker build thread. :)

EDIT: Oh yeah ... how do the speaker wires sound with the cable pants? :D

Last edited:
STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Very nice. Uncle Oscar has been one up'd!:eek: Get to work Alex!!!:D

PS. How's my Great Dane doing?:)

skyline_123

skyline_123

Audioholic
Oh yeah ... how do the speaker wires sound with the cable pants?
Way more extension down low and the high end is crystal clear! Not to mention they sound completely transparent. :D At least I think that's what the Monster cable box said on the back. :rolleyes:

How's my Great Dane doing?
He's doing really well, thanks for asking. He did have one episode where I thought we would need to take him to the vet again. I got home one day from work and I walked in the room where we have his kennel and he had thrown up/crapped in it. It looked as if he was a tornado of poop came through the corner of the room. It was everywhere (almost under the baseboards). But all is well. We've taken away all his toys except for the big ones so he can't swallow any of them. He's back to being as dumb and clumsy as ever. :)

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Those look great. If that level of attention is paid to cables, I can't wait to see photos of your work on the ER18s.

I'm jealous too, none of my cables have pants!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Very nice job!!

4S11 with Knukonceptz BFA connectors. I was previously using the BJC locking connectors but I like these better. They stay put just as well without being locking.

One of the cats got up on my center and knocked it off the foam about a week ago. The only thing holding it up keeping it from falling on the floor was this cable...my speakers weigh 38lbs each :eek: and they held.

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
John,

Yeah ... but without the gun metal and gold you got nothin'. :p :D

skyline_123

skyline_123

Audioholic
Very nice j_garcia. Some strong cat you got there, pushing a 38lb speaker off the shelf. I think I've seen your cat before, kind of looked like this

I can't wait to see photos of your work on the ER18s.
A little teaser.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Somehow I lost track of what you were up to and was forced to go searching with that clue from Swerd. Probably unrelated but fun to look at:

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/ekta_bjoern.htm
Fun to look at unless you're planning to build something. Then it makes me feel unworthy.

Sean is building a floorstanding MTM with the SEAS ER18 woofer and the Fountek Neo CD3 ribbon tweeter. I've heard a prototype that Dennis used to design the crossovers - it was good enough to make me jealous, sort of a poor-man's DIY cousin of the Salk HT2-TL.

skyline_123

skyline_123

Audioholic
Somehow I lost track of what you were up to and was forced to go searching with that clue from Swerd. Probably unrelated but fun to look at:

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/ekta_bjoern.htm
Actually, you were the one that recommended I talk to Swerd because you heard something about a new speaker design by Dennis Murphy. Right you are.

And yes, those Ekta's in that link are one of my favorite looking enclosures. The craftsmanship is very nice!

M

miniSQ

Junior Audioholic
So inspired by this thread, and the fact i had some 12/2 silver wire laying around being unused, that i ordered some tech flex and 7 pair of BJC locking plugs to whip up a nice set of cables to biamp my fronts.:)

The 7 pair or for all 7 channels in the rear of the AVR, and i will go bare wire into the fronts for now.

thanks for the motivation:D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Actually, you were the one that recommended I talk to Swerd ...
That I remember. I just didn't know which direction you went in. At the time the crossover for the Denis Murphy deal was still a problem and had to be redesigned. Swerd is quite the resource, huh? So what about a center for that? Can these guys be pressed to produce a similarly voiced design that's good to like 60Hz?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
So what about a center for that? Can these guys be pressed to produce a similarly voiced design that's good to like 60Hz?
Madisound says one of these woofers in a 0.5 ft³ vented box (2" diameter vent × 6" long) will produce an F3 of 53Hz. If enough people get interested in the floor standing design, I imagine Dennis could knock out a crossover for a center. The only thing really different in a smaller MTM laying on its side would be the front baffle width. That should have an effect that could be corrected with slightly different crossover equalization. If someone builds a suitable cabinet and sends it and the drivers to Dennis, he can do a crossover for it. I'm not sure but he may still have these drivers.

Swerd is quite the resource, huh?
Talk like that will give me a swelled head. I had a lot of coffee this morning, I'd better get to the bathroom before my head swells so much that I can't get through the doorway :eek: :D.

skyline_123

skyline_123

Audioholic
So what about a center for that?
I'm going to square away some surround sound before I do anything about a center channel. Also, Erin's a little fed up with the monstrous Simple Kappa Perfect 12vq sub. She actually likes the idea of selling that (along with my 10 dvq) and getting a couple 8" JLW7's :D Last time I ran the calculations, the 13"JLW7 preferred to be in a sealed enclosure, I wonder if the 8" W7's are the same.

If someone builds a suitable cabinet and sends it and the drivers to Dennis, he can do a crossover for it.
What a nice that Dennis is.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis