Bizarre speaker connections---hoping to upgrade receiver, but need help!

PRGreene

PRGreene

Audiophyte
Hey all!

This is my first post here, and, having read a few of the other threads, it looks like I'll be in good hands.

We recently bought our first home, and the previous owner had a 5.1-channel DVD/SACD audio system installed around the living room (and was kind enough to leave it there for us). It's a Sony DAV-C770, so it's over a decade old and really quite out-of-date.

I've been able to listen to SACDs on it, which is nice, and the 5.1 surround seems to work.

I'd really love to upgrade the receiver, though. The DVD player (acting as the "receiver" in this case, though it's not much of one) connected to the speakers is a) incapable of playing Blu-Rays/connecting to anything via HDMI and b) relatively underpowered. I'd like to leave the speakers as they are; they aren't perfect, but they're not terrible (and can always be upgraded down the road once we've settled in/saved some money).

Anyway, the problem is that the speaker ports on the back of the DVD player are really bizarre (at least to a neophyte like me). I've attached a few screenshots from the instruction manual, in case they're at all helpful: the speaker-connection page, a picture of the rear face of the DVD player/"receiver," and two pages of specifications.

My two questions are:
  1. Can I upgrade to a contemporary Blu-Ray/AirPlay receiver but keep the speakers as they are?
  2. If so, what sorts of receivers should I be looking at? I'd like to spend under $500, and I'd like to get Blu-Ray, AirPlay, and HDMI connectivity (especially to connect my PS4, etc.).
I really, sincerely appreciate the help. Hopefully I'll learn enough through the years to help out some other beginners some day!

Thanks a lot, and looking forward to getting to know you all.

Patrick

Attachments

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hey all!

This is my first post here, and, having read a few of the other threads, it looks like I'll be in good hands.

We recently bought our first home, and the previous owner had a 5.1-channel DVD/SACD audio system installed around the living room (and was kind enough to leave it there for us). It's a Sony DAV-C770, so it's over a decade old and really quite out-of-date.

I've been able to listen to SACDs on it, which is nice, and the 5.1 surround seems to work.

I'd really love to upgrade the receiver, though. The DVD player (acting as the "receiver" in this case, though it's not much of one) connected to the speakers is a) incapable of playing Blu-Rays/connecting to anything via HDMI and b) relatively underpowered. I'd like to leave the speakers as they are; they aren't perfect, but they're not terrible (and can always be upgraded down the road once we've settled in/saved some money).

Anyway, the problem is that the speaker ports on the back of the DVD player are really bizarre (at least to a neophyte like me). I've attached a few screenshots from the instruction manual, in case they're at all helpful: the speaker-connection page, a picture of the rear face of the DVD player/"receiver," and two pages of specifications.

My two questions are:
  1. Can I upgrade to a contemporary Blu-Ray/AirPlay receiver but keep the speakers as they are?
  2. If so, what sorts of receivers should I be looking at? I'd like to spend under $500, and I'd like to get Blu-Ray, AirPlay, and HDMI connectivity (especially to connect my PS4, etc.).
I really, sincerely appreciate the help. Hopefully I'll learn enough through the years to help out some other beginners some day!

Thanks a lot, and looking forward to getting to know you all.

Patrick
Unfortunately I have bad news for you. We have encountered that unit before. The speakers are only 3 ohm. There is no receiver that will drive those speakers. You would have to get a receiver with pre outs and purchase external amps that can drive loads below 4 ohms. That would be very expensive and absolutely not worth it.

I'm afraid everything has to be removed and you need to start from scratch.

The other issue is the sub is powered from that unit and current subs have their own amps and are supplied by line voltage not a power signal.

So you need a receiver and speakers plus peripherals.

PRGreene

PRGreene

Audiophyte
Unfortunately I have bad news for you. We have encountered that unit before. The speakers are only 3 ohm. There is no receiver that will drive those speakers. You would have to get a receiver with pre outs and purchase external amps that can drive loads below 4 ohms. That would be very expensive and absolutely not worth it.

I'm afraid everything has to be removed and you need to start from scratch.

The other issue is the sub is powered from that unit and current subs have their own amps and are supplied by line voltage not a power signal.

So you need a receiver and speakers plus peripherals.
I was afraid of that---thanks a lot for the help! I guess a chance to start from scratch might not be a bad thing in the long run.

PRGreene

PRGreene

Audiophyte
One more thing: would it be possible to hook a Blu-Ray player up to them, at least?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I can't get your pictures large enough to read but if you have an HDMI input available on that unit, you can run a blu-ray player. If not, no.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I can't get your pictures large enough to read but if you have an HDMI input available on that unit, you can run a blu-ray player. If not, no.
There is no HDMI connection.

PRGreene

PRGreene

Audiophyte
Well, what I'm hoping is that I can just swap out the DVD player that's acting as the ad hoc receiver with a Blu-Ray player, and then connect the speakers to the back of that. Is that possible?

Thanks again for the help, guys.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Well, what I'm hoping is that I can just swap out the DVD player that's acting as the ad hoc receiver with a Blu-Ray player, and then connect the speakers to the back of that. Is that possible?

Thanks again for the help, guys.
You cannot connect speakers to blu-ray players unless they are part of another all-in-one system and, even then, they may well use proprietary speakers and connectors.

simply put, you can't get there from here.

PRGreene

PRGreene

Audiophyte
Ah, that's what I was afraid of. Thanks again for the help!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
PRGreene

I'm a little late, but welcome to AudioHolics. TLS Guy and markw have given you good answers, but I thought I might add a little general info.

Your inherited system has a DVD player and AV receiver built into one box. Usually these functions are sold as two separate units, and now the standard way they are connected is through HDMI cables which run digital signals containing both audio and video information. Your present DVD player/receiver lack any HDMI connection points.

You propose getting a Blu Ray player to replace it, but you must get both a BR player and an AV receiver. The receiver will function as the central switch box, and it also has the amplification needed to drive the speakers. There are a wide variety of these available at a wide range of prices. You should look at products made by Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Pioneer, and Yamaha to get an idea of prices, and decide on a price range for yourself before looking in detail. To get some ideas, try looking at this guide http://www.audioholics.com/recommended-systems

Your system also has small speakers with an odd impedance of 3 ohms. Even though you thought they "weren't terrible", almost anything else will probably sound better. Speakers also come in a very wide variety of prices. You don't have to replace all 5 or 6 speakers at once. A good way to start is with the front 2 or 3 speakers, followed later by subwoofers and rear channel speakers.

Perhaps your present TV can be kept and used with a new sound system. Does your TV have an HDMI connection on it?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis