bitstream/pcm problem with denon 1930ci

K

kenhoeve

Audioholic
I have my dvd, rcvr, cable, and TV all hooked via hdmi.

My DVD player has worked fine for 3 months, and then all of a sudden today it won't put any audio out. I tried 3 different discs, no audio. And the avr-4306 is saying it is not reading an audio feed from the dvd player. So I went into the 1930ci setup and switched from bitstream to PCM. Bingo, now I have audio again. The avr shows a PCM feeds and displays multi-channel in.

Now watching cable, the AVR shows it is receiving a digital signal and displays dolby digital.

So the question is, my DVD player has to be the broken one right? Couldn't be my receiver?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Is it possible there was a power interruption that caused the player to lose its settings and go back to its defaults?

If you set the player to output PCM, it will decode DD to PCM but what strikes me is that you said the display is showing 'mulit-ch in'. Isn't that the 5.1 analog inputs on a Denon?

So it seems to me that the player is decoding the DD to PCM but then doing D/A and sending it out the 5.1 analog outputs. So the player isn't using the HDMI output. Is there another setting for the DVD player to enable the HDMI output?

Bueller's teacher is starting to show his age, huh?

K

kenhoeve

Audioholic
MDS said:
Is it possible there was a power interruption that caused the player to lose its settings and go back to its defaults?

If you set the player to output PCM, it will decode DD to PCM but what strikes me is that you said the display is showing 'mulit-ch in'. Isn't that the 5.1 analog inputs on a Denon?

So it seems to me that the player is decoding the DD to PCM but then doing D/A and sending it out the 5.1 analog outputs. So the player isn't using the HDMI output. Is there another setting for the DVD player to enable the HDMI output?

Bueller's teacher is starting to show his age, huh?
The default setting on the 1930ci is bitstream. I had it running bitstream all along. Power out wouldn't matter in that case.

Well, I don't have any analogs connected, only hdmi. hdmi is enabled on the dvd player with either pcm/bitstream. It is my understanding that both are sent digitally via hdmi, it's just PCM is 48khz sampling rate(decoded) and bitstream is uncompressed feed(encoded). Right?

Ah yes, but sharp and witty as ever.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
kenhoeve said:
hdmi is enabled on the dvd player with either pcm/bitstream. It is my understanding that both are sent digitally via hdmi, it's just PCM is 48khz sampling rate(decoded) and bitstream is uncompressed feed(encoded). Right?
Yes, that's right. It's strange that the player would suddenly have a problem outputting bitstream. As a test, can you use an optical or coax digital cable and see if the bitstream setting works?

K

kenhoeve

Audioholic
MDS said:
Yes, that's right. It's strange that the player would suddenly have a problem outputting bitstream. As a test, can you use an optical or coax digital cable and see if the bitstream setting works?
ah, good idea. i'll try that.

K

kenhoeve

Audioholic
hooked up optical, reassigned input, still no audio using bitstream.

back goes the DVD player. that makes me 2 for 2 on defective Denon products. First the receiver self destructed. This after I had an absolutely bombproof Denon AVR for 14 years. mo' technology, mo' glitches.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis