Bioshock = HOLY %^*&!!!

D

Derrleak

Junior Audioholic
I personally thought the game was a blast, and it definetly took me a while. This is a game you want to explore everything in, and just take your time, and dont use the vita chambers if you dont like the fact people still have low health after you die. Thats what I did, and it was perfect. You eventually are able to have not a huge problem because you get good at it and know everythings weakness but it took me two play throughs to get all the acheivments but one. It can be done in one play through, but I doubt much people do that. You can make the play time 6 hours, or you can make it 20+ That is up to you, not the game.

Alamar

Alamar

Full Audioholic
Spoilers Be Here

I 100% recommend taking your time with this game. To me exploring every nook, cranny, stopping & listening to splicer conversations, etc. was worth it.

Overall though I have mixed emotions about the game:

----------------------------------------------------------------

First the good parts:

-- For a first person shooter the atmosphere && story were good. I appreicate the story more the second time through than the first.

-- The environments felt like they were well designed and although a little crampt at times there were still places you could explore / stop to listen to splicers / etc.

-- There is a good variety of weapons [esp. weapons + plasmids]

-- There are a good variety of buffs and lots of combinations that you could play with.

-- There are a decent number of potential builds and I like having to make [theoretically] hard choices about what skills/buffs to include and which ones not to include.

-- The AI seems quite good and I've been quite happy with it so far.

---------------------------------------------------------------

For the cons:

-- The much talked about RPG aspects really only boils down to a single in-game choice repeated a lot of times. You don't really effect the story to any significant degree. If you want an RPG then check out an old game like Planescape: Torment. [Of course how much RPG do you expect in a shooter?]

-- The cut scenes don't necessarily match your choices in game.

-- At a cost of 60$ with only 6-25 hours of gameplay it's hard to recommend vs. a long-term rental.

-- The plasmids & buffs themselves don't seem particularly well balanced vs. each other. This takes away from my replay value because there doesn't seem to be a lot of reasons why I'd experiment with alternate builds.

-- The game is too linear in that it's a go here do this, go there, do that sort of game and until you do XYZ you can't progress in the game.

-- Your choices of how to accomplish goals are very limited. Basically the only way to achieve many goals is KILL XYZ to progress further. I'd much prefer a game that gave you a larger number of ways to progress instead of brute force .... where are at least the stealth && diplomacy options??

-- No MP support means that your only opponnents will be the AI. While I like the AI I'm not sure if this is enough for the long-haul.

----------------------------------------------------------------

For me I don't have buyer's remorse but it would still be hard for me to recommend this to a friend esp. if they have access to inexpensive long-term-rentals.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Nice review Alamar. I do have to say that I would normally say that anything that can be finished in 6hrs is definitely not worth $60, however Darkness can also be finished in roughly 10hrs if you play straight through. I spent more like 20hrs on it going through the additional "tasks", some of which add to the story and others not, because they do add to the believability of the "world" they have created, even if it isn't totally open in this case. I like games that ask you to explore and look around for the "other stuff" they put in there because it means it isn't the same old thing.

K

Kaizor

Enthusiast
I did love the graphics audio was nice but the game i honestly for some reason did not like it i got really bored playing it but the again it was just a demo.

Alamar

Alamar

Full Audioholic
Something I forgot to mention: In terms of a pure shooter I preferred Gears of War. Bioshock was a little too "run & gun" && "Circle-strafe" happy for my tastes.

Given that drawback Bioshock was still nice for the wide variety of options that you had.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis