BIC PL-89 (looking for a good set for v-679 and hsu vtf-3mk5

G

goneriding11

Audioholic Intern
hello. sorry for the short and slightly incoherent post. I have a yamaha v-679 reciever and an hsu vtf3mk5hp sub. all is well. it's in a 17x12x8 room with a 400 cubic foot master closet. so about 2250 cu ft total. i love my reciever, i love my HSU sub, I feel my tsi400 towers are lacking. I am loking at BIC pl-89's, my budget is 4-600 for a pair of towers. Is this the best option? I am concerned mostly about sensitivity.. should I not be? If not, what towers or speakers can you recommend given my room dimentions? thanks.

-goneriding

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I don't think the sensitivity spec of the BIC Acoustech speakers are correct. I don't think they will get that much louder than your Polk towers, although I would guess they are a bit more capable. What aspect of the Polks do you find lacking? You might try looking at the Fluance Signature tower speakers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How are your speakers lacking? Have you heard the BICs? You're looking for higher spl with the avr? Is this just a 2.1 setup?

G

goneriding11

Audioholic Intern
yes it is. and perhaps my ignorance is showing. I am thinking I should go to my best/most decent hifi/home audio place and do a few test listens. My variety of music is quite widesperead (punk, 3rd wave ska, hip-hop, DnB, some others) and I am just getting into home audio. any advice has much acceptance and appreciation.

thanks.

-goneriding

edit: no I have not heard the bic's. nor any other speakers other than monitor 60's and tsi400's

edit" yes, I am looking for spl and possibly a little more fullness in the 80-250hz range. and yea, it's a 2.1

Last edited:
D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
yes it is. and perhaps my ignorance is showing. I am thinking I should go to my best/most decent hifi/home audio place and do a few test listens. My variety of music is quite widesperead (punk, 3rd wave ska, hip-hop, DnB, some others) and I am just getting into home audio. any advice has much acceptance and appreciation.

thanks.

-goneriding

edit: no I have not heard the bic's. nor any other speakers other than monitor 60's and tsi400's

edit" yes, I am looking for spl and possibly a little more fullness in the 80-250hz range. and yea, it's a 2.1
Go to the Home page and page down, there's a post there that provides the best speakers at $500/pair for 2.0 or 2.1 setups...Cheers

Y

Yerman

Audiophyte
Hi ShadyJ
I own Yamaha RX V679 AV with 90 watts per channel, I want to match with good speakers for Stereo system (in the future 7.1..) Ive seen Klipsch R 24f, Klipsch RP 250, Polk 75t, Pioneer sp52. Wich one of these would I recommend? Mi living Room is 25' x 20'. Sorry I'm speak Spanish Thank you

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hi ShadyJ
I own Yamaha RX V679 AV with 90 watts per channel, I want to match with good speakers for Stereo system (in the future 7.1..) Ive seen Klipsch R 24f, Klipsch RP 250, Polk 75t, Pioneer sp52. Wich one of these would I recommend? Mi living Room is 25' x 20'. Sorry I'm speak Spanish Thank you
I would skip the Polks to start with. For me it would be either the Pioneer SP speakers or the Klipsch RP250s. The Pioneers will be on the mellow side, and the Klipsch speakers would be more aggressively voiced. It you don't listen at loud volumes, you should think about getting the Pioneers, but if you like to rock hard, get the Klipsch.

G

goneriding11

Audioholic Intern
wow, one of my tsi400's is "out". it seems to be playing the mids at 50%, maybe closer to 25%, it's so easy to tell when getting close and also even more distinct when holding the towers. This is why I think i have listened to less music and been displeased the last couple weeks. I don;t use banana plugs, I have reconnected the 12ga ofc car audio speaker cable, should I try 14ga?.... damn I'm losing it.

should I try banana plugs ( i have some)?, i have a pair of monitor 60's that do great on my sony dh550 (which also connects much better without banana plugs. again 12ga wire). basically, can you guys tell me if it's blown without getting into banana plugs and moving speakers? I feel like it's a no, but thank you in advance.

-goneriding

-edit: the highs seem to be the same. thus why it's easy to hear the mids distinctly diminished.

edit again!....... you can just feel the towers, it's extremely obvious, maybe 10-15% of the other tower. just watching the extension makes it extremely obvious. if=n case I wasn't clear. btw, I have squaretrade on amazon if that means anything. also, I have the original box sans styrofoam if that helps. just trying to get all this done in one go. thanks again.

edit again for some background that may also help.... i am a newbie to home audio first off and have small to moderate experience in car audio. and that's that. and for settings... yamaha is usually comfortable set to -4.5 db bass (all manual, it's a 2.1 so i did not run ypao), hsu is at eq2, 11oclock, both ports open. 80hz crossover

I knew something was wrong when the bass seemed muddy. or at least the towers didnt seem to keep up. so naturally I turned the bass down to -6.0. that's when i started to figure out something was wrong. I listen to all types of music. 30% dnb + hiphop. this is a 100% music system. 98% of my listening is between -37.5 and -22.5. It has never been past -17. only occasionaly do i push it to -18db on yamaha. the speakers audibly distort white noise around -12db.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
It almost sounds like something went wrong with the crossover that have reduced signal to the woofers on one of the speakers. I would not use that speaker anymore until the problem is solved. Who knows what kind of load it is presenting to your amplifier, it could be damaging it. If it were me, I would just get a new speaker, since I was never a fan of the Polk TSi series. I would be looking at the JBL Studio 280s or Fluance Signature towers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why not run YPAO? It's a good way to set speaker/sub levels & delay at least (how did you set sub delay?). Did you set the speakers and sub levels with a meter instead? When you say you set crossover to 80 is that the low pass filter on the sub or is that the crossover setting in the avr? Are speakers set to small?

The speaker wire connector won't make any difference nor will the gauge of wire (but I wouldn't go to a smaller gauge in any case, your 12 is just fine). Banana plugs are about convenient connections, not better ones (bare wire properly secured is just fine).

G

goneriding11

Audioholic Intern
yes speakers set to small, avr at 80hz. there is no HPF since it is tuned to 22hz and I listen to no classical music and very rarely watch a movie.

I talked to hsu about using an usb spl meter, but he said it would be pretty useless in my circumstance. I don't know much about audusey (sp?) and know nothing about a delay. hell, i would think zero delay would be best, no?

also, it's 320kpbs streaming if that helps. after this speaker is solved, i would like to get this to sound as good as possible (with the tsi or 60's for now). I wanted to run a jdslabs odac but shadyj said it was a bad idea. rightfully so i'm sure. being a newbie sucks but learning is fun. any other help i would appreciate. just ask. thanks.

and no ypao b/c when I ran the dh550 mic ( my first time) it sounded terrible (bass too low, recessed mids which made highs bright.. just terrible). so. that's where i'm at.

i will move the 60's in here and try to return the bad tsi. hopefully locally but I dont know. there is only a slight difference ofc. slight, but there for sure.

edit-- also, it might be the yamaha amp. I'm just pissed off, ya know? preaching to the choir I'm sure. thanks for all the help again. I say it, because i need a good bit right now and actually appreciate this forum. it has helped a lot.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not sure how you're connecting HPF and the sub's port tuning? Your sub likely already has a protective HPF built into the sub amp's dsp in any case. How did Hsu advise to set level/delay?

Depends where your sub is located but delay is inherent in a sub's amp and the actual distance may not account for that extra bit. Was wondering if you simply set the distance (aka delay) to the actual distance, or if you used this setting at all since you don't mention it.

Sony's DCAC is very basic, probably the lowest form of auto setup/room correction in avrs; YPAO is much better by all reports. YPAO will at least give you an idea of what delay/levels it sets and you could change sub levels from there, that's pretty common as most seem to prefer more bass than a flat response. YPAO doesn't do much for subs, though (Audyssey is better known for its sub filters).

The dac in your avr is fine.

ps What do you "ride"?

G

goneriding11

Audioholic Intern
i figured it was. I just noticed a couple other people doing it. I will set up the delays, run ypao, get rid of the bad tsi and move in the 60's which are fine. yup i'll get back to you when that gets done.

a couple people here have recommended PA speakers. i only have one neighbor to worry about and I know her hours. we are cool.

G

goneriding11

Audioholic Intern
update: it must be the yamaha. It blew the monitor 60 that was working great. when moved to the sony reciever, it stays around 25% failure on the mids. Time to find a yamaha dealer I suppose. Any advice?

edit: this was very moderate volumes.... btw, in my 2300ish cubic foot room, the tsi400 or monitor 60's with vtf-3 sounded good. cant believe it's the yamaha. dammit. :(

basically in this room pa speakers are ridiculous. my volume levels are so low-moderate 98% of the time. the hsu sub is pretty overpowering ofc.

-goneriding

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't think that you've done enough diagnostics to come to that conclusion as yet....you probably want to find a Yamaha service center unless the dealer you purchased it from still has some sort of service commitment.

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
When you said it must be the yamaha as lovinthehd said, I would continue, don't assume everything is OK, it can be costly...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis