C

cuse4284

Enthusiast
i've been hearing great things about this center and right now i am running all pioneer speakers with my pioneer receiver. i was looking at upgrading a little bit, as money allows and was wondering what people thought of this center. would it mesh well with my existing setup? right now, my center came as a set with 2 surrounds so its not much to look at or listen to. might consider using it as a rear center if i like what i hear about the bic. for $100 it seems like an incredible value. as a side note, just wondering if anyone else has noticed that amazon.com actually offers some great deals on lower to mid audio equipment. the bics can be bought for $100 with free shipping from them.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
It's pretty large, with dual 6.5" woofers, but one of the best center channels made. Make sure you have enough room for it. You'll like it so much you'll want to buy all BIC. It's a warm, efficient, vocal center with jaw dropping bass. I hope someday Gene or Clint review this line, as well as the Acoustech 5.1 setup. Dr. HSU actually designed the sub for the Acoustech speakers. You want the "S", it's a little smaller, but the newer model of the two. IMO, it's one of those "needles in a haystack," and one of audio's "best kept secrets."

www.audioreview.com/PRD_119153_2743crx.aspx#reviews

www.epinions.com/pr-Speakers_BIC_America_Venturi_DV62CLR_S_Center_Channel_Speaker_DV_62CLRS/display_~reviews

N

NetGeek

Junior Audioholic
There is a guy who mods this Center Channel

The BIC Center Channel has it's own following, Ed Frias makes modifications to it, do a search on him and you will get many hits and reviews. He does not have a website, you have to email him for information.

He modifies the crossover on this Center Channel and it's supposed to be awsome, his crossover is $80 I think. Also mods the Center for use as a Right / Left Main.

I have been thinking about replacing my Athena AS-C1 with this speaker but am worried about it matching my AS-F2 mains. For what they sell for it would not be too much of a risk, anyone else use this center with Mains other than BIC?

With 80% of the actors voice comming out of this channel I am guessing that it will not be that noticable for HT but maybe more for music? :confused:

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
I have it and love it. I have used it with several different mains. Including my McIntosh XR16’s, a pair of Celestion AVF302’s, and an old pair of pioneer HPM-60’s. It’s not quite on par with my McIntosh, but it is close. All in all I think it is a great speaker and sounds better than ANY center that I have listened to. I have not had the crossover mods done yet, but I think I might in the future, although I really could live without it. It is really built well, and has the 7yr parts and labor warranty. For under $200 (with the crossover mod) I don’t think you can find a better center under $1200. That’s just my opinion.

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Hi All
I just so happen to have a DV-62CLR on hand Its performance is good to excellent for its perspective price point of under $250.
But at $300 and up there are other alternatives that will surpass its performance by a very wide margin just wanted to pass this info along to keep things in perspective ;)

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
RLA said:
Hi All
I just so happen to have a DV-62CLR on hand Its performance is good to excellent for its perspective price point of under $250.
But at $300 and up there are other alternatives that will surpass its performance by a very wide margin just wanted to pass this info along to keep things in perspective ;)

Well, I sure haven't heard any in those price ranges that sound better than the 62. I’ve heard some that sound as good, but when you consider the price difference, there is no comparison. The midrange is clear and accurate. The highs are a little sharp, but a little adjustment with my center eq took care of that. I’m sure the crossover work by Ed, flattens out the response. This is just my opinion though.

C

cuse4284

Enthusiast
Buckeyefan 1 said:
It's pretty large, with dual 6.5" woofers, but one of the best center channels made. Make sure you have enough room for it. You'll like it so much you'll want to buy all BIC. It's a warm, efficient, vocal center with jaw dropping bass. I hope someday Gene or Clint review this line, as well as the Acoustech 5.1 setup. Dr. HSU actually designed the sub for the Acoustech speakers. You want the "S", it's a little smaller, but the newer model of the two. IMO, it's one of those "needles in a haystack," and one of audio's "best kept secrets."

www.audioreview.com/PRD_119153_2743crx.aspx#reviews

www.epinions.com/pr-Speakers_BIC_America_Venturi_DV62CLR_S_Center_Channel_Speaker_DV_62CLRS/display_~reviews
i just realized that bic makes an acoustech series of speakers. i thought you were referring to the acoustech labs brand. how is the bic acoustech compared with the bic dv62. the acoustech seems to have a nicer look to it but how does it compare soundwise. also, was wondering how the rest of the bic line holds up in case i want to complete the set in the future. right now i'm not looking to spend more than $150 on my center as i just spent most of my money on my current system (very low budget).

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
cuse4284 said:
i just realized that bic makes an acoustech series of speakers. i thought you were referring to the acoustech labs brand. how is the bic acoustech compared with the bic dv62. the acoustech seems to have a nicer look to it but how does it compare soundwise. also, was wondering how the rest of the bic line holds up in case i want to complete the set in the future. right now i'm not looking to spend more than $150 on my center as i just spent most of my money on my current system (very low budget).

If you get the DV62clrs, then later you could add the venturi DV84's or 64's. The 84's are a little bit bigger, but you can get the pair for ~$300. I think you would be quite suprised with the performance of any of these.

The Acoustech line (by BIC) is comparable to the Klipsch Reference, or Synergy Line. They have Horn Tweeters and are a bit brighter. If you have a hard room I would recommend against them.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Correct,

The Acoustech's by BIC have the horn tweeters. They will be brighter, as opposed to the smoother soft dome tweeters in the Venturi's.

The specs on the Venturi CLR-S center are:

Sugg. Retail $269

-Design- Video Shielded, two-way,
three-driver center channel
.-Frequency Response-
38 Hz - 20 kHz
-Sensitivity- 90 dB @ 1 watt,
1 meter
-Recommended Amplifier
Power- 5-175 watts per chan.
-Driver Complement- Two 6"
poly/graphite woofers, 3/4" poly
dome tweeter
-Crossover- 3.5 kHz
-Impedance- 8 Ohms
-Dimensions- 7 11/16" H,
20" W , 10" D
-Finish- Black laminate
-Limited Warranty- 7 years
Parts & Labor

The specs on the Acoustech center are:

Design - Video shielded, two-way,
three component center.
Frequency Response - 55 Hz -
20 kHz (+/- 3 dB)
Drivers - Dual 6 1/2" woofers,
one 6 1/2" mid/high
frequency horn with
neodymium magnet.
Sensitivity - 96 dB @ 1 watt,
1 meter
Power - 10 - 150 watts per channel.
Dimensions - 8" H x 22 W x 6" D
Impedance - 8 Ohms
Limited Warranty - 2 years
parts and labor.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
ell, I sure haven't heard any in those price ranges that sound better than the 62.
Just off the top of my head here are a couple
Mordaunt-Short 905 CB $300 retail
Axiom Audio VP-100 and VP-150
Klipsch RC-25 and RC-35 for Dynamics and high SPL $279 and $399
RBH MC-616C
Pinnacle P5.3
Pinnacle BD300
There are others

The DV62CLR is a decent entry level Center or L/R I have one and like it for what it is, but it’s simply not in the same performance league as the ones mentioned above It has midrange compression, and a very forward tweeter that is very prone to simbalance.
IMOHO

If you are truly looking for a super high performance L/C/R look at the RBH 661SE Granted it about 3x the price @ $699msrp but like the old saying goes you get what you pay for ;)
http://www.rbhsound.com/661se.shtml

Last edited:
MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
RLA said:
Just off the top of my head here are a couple
Mordaunt-Short 905 CB $300 retail
Axiom Audio VP-100 and VP-150
Klipsch RC-25 and RC-35 for Dynamics and high SPL $279 and $399
RBH MC-616C
Pinnacle P5.3
Pinnacle BD300
There are others

The DV62CLR is a decent entry level Center or L/R I have one and like it for what it is, but it’s simply not in the same performance league as the ones mentioned above It has midrange compression, and a very forward tweeter that is very prone to simbalance.
IMOHO

If you are truly looking for a super high performance L/C/R look at the RBH 661SE Granted it about 3x the price @ $699msrp but like the old saying goes you get what you pay for ;)
http://www.rbhsound.com/661se.shtml
Well IMO the only one that is comparable to the BIC is the Mordaunt-Short 905 CB, although it is a little weak in the bottom, but the highs and mids are good. The Klipsh, I thought, were way too bright on top and a little boomy on the bottom. I never listened to the axiom, so I don't know. I also listened to the Pinnacle P5.3, and didn't like it at all, thought it was weak on the bottom also.

As far as the RBH 661SE, I haven't heard it, it looks really good, I'd love to hear it.

All I'm saying, is If you are watching movies, the BIC is a great deal, and sounds pretty darn good. For music, it's better than it's $100 price tag would suggest.

C

cuse4284

Enthusiast
anyone have any thoughts on the polk r50's vs. bic dv 84? both seem pretty comparable in price and specs. wanted to keep an eye on the future and which brand i would most want to upgrade with. polk or bic? might help me decide on a new center for right now as mine is definitely lacking in every way.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
I always like to layout the specs side by side, or in this case top to bottom. It's not a listening test, but provides some insight for direct comparison on paper.

Polk R50:

Driver Complement
Mid/Woofer 2 - 6-1/2" Diameter (16.51cm)
Dynamic Balance Polymer/mineral composite cones, shielded
Tweeter 1 - 3/4" Diameter (1.91cm)
Dynamic Balance silk/polymer composite dome, shielded

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Electrical
Overall Frequency Response 40Hz - 24kHz
Lower -3dB Limit 50Hz
Upper -3dB Limit 20kHz
Nominal Impedance 8 ohms
Recommended Amplifier Power 20 - 150 w/channel
Efficiency 90 dB
Inputs 5-way binding posts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dimensions
Cabinet Size 36-3/4" H x 7-3/4" W x 11-7/8" D
(93.34cm H x 19.68cm W x 30.16cm D)
Enclosure Type Vented

Shipping/Other
Shipping unit: each
Total Shipping Weight 40.00 lbs. (18.14kgs)
Speaker Warranty Five years parts and labor
Accessories (comes with) Carpet spikes

BIC DV84

Sugg. Retail Value $798pr
-Design- Video-shielded, two-
way, dual woofers & radiators

-Frequency Response- 27 Hz-
22kHz
-Sensitivity- 90 dB @ 1 watt,
1 meter
-Recommended Amplifier
Power- 10-250 watts per chan.
-Driver Complement- Two
8" poly woofers, passive
radiators & 3/4" dome tweeter
-Crossover- 3 kHz
-Impedance- 8 Ohms
-Dimensions- 43 1/2" H,
10" W, 11 3/4" D
-Finish- Black laminate

-Limited Warranty- 7 years
Parts & Labor

Even though I own Polk, I'd have to side with the BIC towers in this comparison. You have a larger cabinet, larger drivers, the same spl, a wider frequency response, and a better warranty. Plus, for the money, I don't think you can get a Polk center anywhere near as good as the BIC center unless you went with the $450 CSi5. I have some older BIC bookshelves, and they sound as good today as they did back in '89 when I bought them. They are a very well made speaker - much heavier than my RTi4 Polk bookshelves.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

cuse4284

Enthusiast
yeah, the bics seem like the best value between the two of those. anybody have any thoughts on the athena as-f2's. thats one other manufacturer that seems to be in my price range and i've heard some good things about. anyone ever compared them soundwise with the bics.

B

BaSiC Evil

Audioholic Intern
Can anyone tell me the exact size of this speaker?

I have seen different sizes listed on a few different websites.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
Buckeyefan 1 said:
You have a larger cabinet, larger drivers, the same spl, a wider frequency response, and a better warranty. Plus, for the money, I don't think you can get a Polk center anywhere near as good as the BIC center unless you went with the $450 CSi5. I have some older BIC bookshelves, and they sound as good today as they did back in '89 when I bought them. They are a very well made speaker - much heavier than my RTi4 Polk bookshelves.
I normally don't disagree with BEF. He's normally right, so agreeing makes me look smart too. On this one, though, I would wonder how good the mid-tones would be... Most mid-range speakers are 5 1/4 to maybe 6 1/2...

These look, and I stress look, since the only BIC I have is the 5 1/4 center, like they would be bass-heavy. I don't know that they would give you good surround sound seperation.

It might be like the Polks, where everyone LOVES the RT-8's, but the bigger 10's and 12's get more criticized. If you get a decent return policy, you might try the smaller BIC towers first, then go up only if you don't like them.

By the way, the 5 1/4 center is extremely clear and has probably twice the off-axis spread as my main system's Infinity center that cost five times as much.

J

johsti

Audioholic
I would highly recommend the BIC DV64 over the DV84 for a couple of reasons. 1st, it is less expensive. 2nd, you can have EFE Technology modify the crossover on the DV64's, but he won't modify the DV84's because he feels an 8" driver is not optimal for midrange. It's too bad he won't modify them, but.... Think of the mods as an added insurance policy in case you don't like the way the speaker sounds out of the box.

I've never heard the DV84, so unless it sounds completely different than the DV64, then I will stand corrected. However, they both have the same type of enclosure, same tweeter, same drivers other than the size and I'd imagine that they have a very similar crossover schematic. The DV84's go down to 27Hz and the DV64's go down to 29Hz according to specs, so you're not missing anything significant.

Go with the 64's and have the crossovers modified. Did I mention the crossover mods make a huge difference with these speakers.:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis