Bi-amping with balanced XLR?

D

Derelict

Audioholic Intern
Just wanted to ask a quick question about bi-amping. I am very interested in the Integra DTR-9.8 that has been getting lots of news lately, but I have had my heart sort of set on bi-amping my front three speakers. Using the regular pre-outs available on more inexpensive receivers was easy since RCA type splitters are common, but I am unsure of how I go about splitting a balanced XLR cable. Is this possible? Are there products out there that do this...without getting expensive(ie a passive splitter would be ideal)?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
For short runs I don't see why one would want to use XLR at all.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
The 9.8 has both RCA and XLR so you can just use the RCA and use the splitters with no problem.

D

Derelict

Audioholic Intern
For short runs I don't see why one would want to use XLR at all.
Hello j_garcia, seen tons of your posts and I must say I am flattered that one was in response to me :D

As to your point, it's very valid. But I have not purchased the RCA cables or splitters yet and after checking the prices on bluejeans there is almost no difference between XLR and RCA. So if the XLR splitting is possible, then I get to try a new type of interconnect for no added cost over the RCA. But since you bring up short runs, I must ask, are there issues with running short distances of XLR or is it simply no better than RCA?

I think this also works as a response to highlander's post. I will gladly use RCA, but XLR has me curious...so does anyone know if it can be split?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The consensus seems to be that short runs (a few feet) are no better with XLR; It is with long runs where the balanced connection becomes an advantage.

I haven't ever looked into splitting XLR, but if it can be done, it is likely that you will find the necessary items in a Pro-Audio shop/site rather than the typical HT site.

**I found this: http://sewelldirect.com/xlr-splitter-male-to-2-female.asp

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Yes it can be done & ive did it a few times,i got my splitters at Guitar center,its been a while ago so i might be a bit off on price but i think they cost about $20 a pair & are of good construction.

There is also a guy selling XLR splitters on Audiogon from time to time,some home brew stuff but i didnt think the price was too bad & the build quality looked ok,he wasnt selling them as super cables either.

D

Derelict

Audioholic Intern
Those look fantastic garcia, thanks for finding them. I am going to check guitar center also. Thanks guys!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Just wanted to ask a quick question about bi-amping. I am very interested in the Integra DTR-9.8 that has been getting lots of news lately, but I have had my heart sort of set on bi-amping my front three speakers. Using the regular pre-outs available on more inexpensive receivers was easy since RCA type splitters are common, but I am unsure of how I go about splitting a balanced XLR cable. Is this possible? Are there products out there that do this...without getting expensive(ie a passive splitter would be ideal)?
To split an balanced low impedance XLR correctly you need a balanced buffer amp. In he good old days before op amps we used a transformer.

C

Carlos Lara

Audiophyte
In the past, I made a setup using RCA interconnects between my avr denon 3312ci and emotiva xp700 5 ch power amps, making horizontal biamping.
It was really a giant leap over a stand alone avr.
Despite the different output of the two amps... the sound was great and crystal clear.

After a couple of years, I decided to upgrade my setup.
I was dealing with a lot of articles, and reviews and they convinced me to go to separates.

1x Marantz preamp av8802
2x Marantz power amp m8077

KLIPSCH RF7 II BIAMPED
KLIPSCH RC64 II CENTER BIAMPED
KLIPSCH RS52 SURROUND
KLIPSCH RS 52 BACK SURROUND
3X KLIPSCH RT12D SUBS

I ran all my biamp connections using xlr splitter for all my fronts.
I tested horizontal and vertical biamp... and definitely the first row sensation was to go for the vertical.

There was no -6db lost that some articles claimed... in fact, it was louder and crisper than the previous setup, using rca.
Besides that, with separates, you've have more power and better components.

I can't explain how the sound is so damn good ... it leaves me speechless.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis