bi-amping tower speakers

N

nate2002

Audiophyte
I just bought a yamaha rx3020 and I have klipshe speakers. The receiver is rated at 150 w per channel and the speakers are rated 125 w. I was wondering since it is an 11 channel amp and im only working with a 5.1 surround if i can bi amp the towers to a seperate channel on the reciever with out running a chance of blowing the speakers. It makes sense to me that I would be pushing 150 watts to the high and low each instead of the entire speaker. Thanks I'd really appreciate any advice.

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
I just bought a yamaha rx3020 and I have klipshe speakers. The receiver is rated at 150 w per channel and the speakers are rated 125 w. I was wondering since it is an 11 channel amp and im only working with a 5.1 surround if i can bi amp the towers to a seperate channel on the reciever with out running a chance of blowing the speakers. It makes sense to me that I would be pushing 150 watts to the high and low each instead of the entire speaker. Thanks I'd really appreciate any advice.
Don't waste your time. Search for 'passive bi-amping' to find out why.

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
I tried it, couldn't honestly hear a difference, but it looks cool if you look at the back of the speakers!

N

nate2002

Audiophyte
Thanks, in that case what would be the preferred way to wire them. Which set of connections should i ignore on the back of the tower?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks, in that case what would be the preferred way to wire them. Which set of connections should i ignore on the back of the tower?
The two sets of connections should be wired together, red to red and black to black.

The speakers should have come with jumpers that do this. If not, a short length of speaker wire between them will accomplish the same function.

Once that's done, it doesn't matter which one is connected to the amp.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
It doesn't make a bit of difference which set of red and black terminals you use as they are at the same point red=red and black=black electrically. I would use the terminals most easily reached by your fingers.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
It is unlikely you will hear any difference between the bi-amping case and the case of using only one amplifier channel for each. That's especially true with Klipsch speakers, which tend to be pretty efficient and have benign loads. On the other hand, it will do absolutely no harm to bi-amp them. You see this question come up a lot on this forum - "I've got extra amplifier channels that will go unused, so why not bi-amp?" And the answer is, if that's what you want to do there is no reason not to bi-amp.

Your concern about exceeding the power rating of the speaker is unfounded. There's probably no more or less chance of blowing the speaker with bi-amping. You stand more chance of hurting a typical speaker by under-powering it than by over-powering it.

In theory, but only in theory, there is an advantage to putting twice the power supply and twice the output stage capability into powering the speakers. You might get lower distortion, you might get better output stage stability, you might even get a peak output advantage (but I doubt it with Klipsch speakers), it's just that all of these potential advantages are so small that you're likely to hear them only very in exceptional cases. You probably don't have one of those cases.

But passive bi-amping will do no harm at all, except perhaps spawn a whole bunch of posts telling you how silly you are for doing it. :)

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
The only advice I can add is don't spend a lot on speaker wire for doing this!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Welcome.
You may want to check the owners manual to see which channel can be used to bi-amp a speaker; should be in there.

T

Tin Ear

Junior Audioholic
As stated, either / or. If your speakers are pulled away from the wall and the backs exposed like mine, I would say do whatever LOOKS the best :D . All home-made ... a bit of a fun project or you can simply buy some if you like. You can find some pretty nifty sets for as little as 15 bucks and less if you are not worried about aesthetics and are simply looking for functionality.

L

llewop

Audiophyte
I believe it can have negative effect firstly some room corrections like audessy don't work properly with bi amping which audessy acknowledges. They might have fixed the bug.
Although you are using four channels its the same amplifier so it is actually going to use less power on your bass drivers to put more current through the highs eg if you have one channel driving you will get close to full specs but when all channels driving the power usage drops your manual will confirm this. You are better of sending all of the power to the speakers crossover and letting it send the power were its needed. The low end.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis