Bi-amping RF-7 II's

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
A lot of Klipsch RF 7 owner use amps because of the frequent impedance dips of the speaker down to as low as 2.7. Most AVR's are not design to handle loads below 6 ohms safely.
Only if those 2.7 ohms are pushing too much power.

And a THX receiver is certified for 4 ohms.

I don't see anyone reaching a danger zone with the sensitivity of these speakers.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Because the RF-7 II's have the ability to bi-amp them, why would they offer this option if it didn't improve the sound?

See dual posts on the back.
The fact that you can doesn't mean you should. Assuming your room is fairly normal, doubling the power will increase the level by 3dB, maybe a bit more because of boundary effects. If you're operating at an average SPL of 90dB and you "passively bi-amp" your speakers, you will gain a bit of headroom and that's all. It will be noticeable on some passages, but not all. If you were to double the power/channel of the amplifier, you'll see the same results.

Remember- passive crossovers can't handle an unlimited amount of input voltage or current, i.e., power.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Here is the blog from the Kipsch site, I've cut a portion out for reading here.

So where’s the controversy? Just taking two stereo amplifiers and hooking them up to your speakers (removing the straps on the input terminals) is called passive bi-amping (or “fool’s bi-amping” for the non-PC) and is very close to being just a waste of money (again many people will disagree). You are sending the entire music signal to both amplifiers and both amplifiers are amplifying the entire signal, but you are allowing the passive crossover network to filter the amplified signals. I can’t think of any benefit in doing this. The tweeter amplifier is still reproducing the bass signals and they are still causing the amplifier to clip. (Perhaps there is a slight benefit by not requiring the current of the bass notes, as this can increase the headroom of the tweeter amplifier – by not drawing down the power supply rail voltage.)
That person seemed totally confused. Please do not let silly things posted in some blogs confuse you. I sure hope that post was not endorsed by the design/engineering team at Klipsch. In passive biamp scheme if done correctly the power amplifiers do not amplify the full bandwidth (unfiltered) signal. If it does then yes you may as well get a bigger amp and just biwire. I think the person might have misunderstood Mr. Elliot's articles on the biamp topic, not that the contents in those articles are totally accurate either.

That being said, as long as you are happy with the SPL well below your speaker's limit from your listening position, you may need to have real golden ears (borrow from birds:D) to hear the kind of theoretical improvements by passive biamping. If you go active, then you need know as well or better than the designers over at Klipsch or you may end up simply tuning the sound to suit your personal taste as you will then have control of the tonal characteristics of the speakers through the electronic filters. Zumbo is sort of part way there by using two amps with independent gain controls but no active filters (hence quarter way or less) so he could alter the tonal balance to a very limited extent, such as less energy to the tweeter without altering the signal spectrum.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I tried to resist but failed. "Groupthink" has begun over in ADTG's thread on passive BM, very sad indeed but there is still hope?

A

A1TrackMind

Audiophyte
Klipsch RF 7II

I've been a sound nut for years both car and home audio! I've had many set ups and probably will have many more before i die! However as of lately I'm currently using some old sae equipment p-102 preamp (2)a-202 amplifiers and 2 sae parametric equalizers 1 per amp! I have an old pair of Infinity SM 150's and recently got an early xmas present from my new awesome girlfriend yes you guessed it a fresh pair of Klipsch RF 7II's. All I can say is Holy _hit! Amazing sound and so darn clear! I mainly play rock but enjoy some softer sounds as well! Never heard such detail and clarity in a speaker till these! I'm very proud and happy! I do plan on aquiring a more powerful amplifier and am thinking Rotel! Then again carver is a brand I've used before as well! As far as bi amping I tried it and feel it's a waste of time.These speakers are so efficient a ghetto blaster can drive em!:)

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I've been a sound nut for years both car and home audio! I've had many set ups and probably will have many more before i die! However as of lately I'm currently using some old sae equipment p-102 preamp (2)a-202 amplifiers and 2 sae parametric equalizers 1 per amp! I have an old pair of Infinity SM 150's and recently got an early xmas present from my new awesome girlfriend yes you guessed it a fresh pair of Klipsch RF 7II's. All I can say is Holy _hit! Amazing sound and so darn clear! I mainly play rock but enjoy some softer sounds as well! Never heard such detail and clarity in a speaker till these! I'm very proud and happy! I do plan on aquiring a more powerful amplifier and am thinking Rotel! Then again carver is a brand I've used before as well! As far as bi amping I tried it and feel it's a waste of time.These speakers are so efficient a ghetto blaster can drive em!:)
I had that same SAE amp in my system including pre-amp and EQ. BTW that line of SAE was not from the original, the ones you have are made in Asia as far as I remember. Them amps are not bad, a little below of middle of the road. I would say about the same as a Rotel. Rotel would not be a step up, that's for sure.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
...recently got an early xmas present from my new awesome girlfriend yes you guessed it a fresh pair of Klipsch RF 7II's. All I can say is Holy _hit! Amazing sound and so darn clear! I mainly play rock but enjoy some softer sounds as well! Never heard such detail and clarity in a speaker till these! I'm very proud and happy! I do plan on aquiring a more powerful amplifier and am thinking Rotel! Then again carver is a brand I've used before as well! As far as bi amping I tried it and feel it's a waste of time.These speakers are so efficient a ghetto blaster can drive em!:)
The RF7II has a sensitivity of 101dB/2.83V/m. Yup, sensitive alright. :D

Send Margaritas

Send Margaritas

Audioholic
...The transformer hum of my amps is almost angelic as I stare with burning hatred at the glowing blue LEDs.
God, there is something magnificent, heartfelt, and humorous, likely shared by everyone who ever bought a disappointing product, in that quip. Unfortunately, coffee squirted out my nose as I read that.

I agree, the amp will make no difference.

That said, I have an XPA-5, that made little, if any, sonic difference (it does seem to keep the receiver from running as hot, spreading the load though).

Adam, my Emo has no hum. Are your sure it's not a ground loop?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis