B

BWguy

Junior Audioholic
Hello
I currently have a 5.1 system with a classe 2300 powering my B&W 804d's and a Rotel 1095 powering my center and surrounds (B&W 683's). Since I have 2 channels on the 1095 not in use, I was thinking of either bi-amping my surrounds or just using one of the channels to bi-amp my center.

Anyone have a similar set-up and would there be any advantage to do this? If so, would you recommend the center channel or the surrounds? I am about 80% 2 channel music but enjoy bluray concerts and an occasional movie in 5.1. I also listen to 5 channel stereo on occasion.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I vote for: Don't passive bi-amp, it's a total waste of time. :D

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
For 99% of cases I agree with ADTG that passive bi-amping is a waste of time, but it is also harmless. If you think bi-amping looks cool or feels cool, or you want to impress other non-technical types with a fancy-sounding term, or you think the rest of us are just not sensitive to subtle audible differences, go ahead and do it.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If you really want to do it, bi-amping the centre would make more sense.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If you really want to do it, bi-amping the centre would make more sense.
Yeah, if he must really passive bi-amp, the Center would make the most sense to me.

The surrounds just don't get a lot of action and require less power than the front 3 channels.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My Center channel Tower can actually be QUAD-amped (Passive Bi-amp Tweeter/Midrange + Active Bi-amp Dual 10" Woofers).

I could use the other two unused channels in my ATI amp to do Tri-Amp or Quad-amp.

But I'm only doing Active Bi-amp. :D

That's how in control I am. ;)

People who do passive bi-amp are just out of control. Just nuts. :D

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
B

BWguy

Junior Audioholic
I have the Marantz 8801 but can not figure out how to set it for bi-amping. If anyone is doing this, can you tell me where I can find the menu for this in settings?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I have the Marantz 8801 but can not figure out how to set it for bi-amping. If anyone is doing this, can you tell me where I can find the menu for this in settings?
Isn't the Marantz 8801 a pre/pro and not a receiver?

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
I do not recall but I would download the manual.
Even if you find it, I would split the signal it is simple.

- Rich

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Yes, it is a prepro. Does this make a difference?
Ugly Bird.jpg

Yeah. If you're asking how to biamp with that, I really don't think you understand the concept of biamping.

Are you talking active or passive biamping.

When you know the difference, we'll talk further.

Last edited:
B

BWguy

Junior Audioholic
Ok....I have the cables. I guess what I am asking is the hook up. I am thinking I need to connect my unused amp to an unused channel in the Marantz such as surround backs. I would then bi amp the speaker using the amp assigned to that particular speaker and the amp assigned to the surround backs.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I don't think you looked at the "cables" Mark linked. These are Y adapters and will work perfectly assuming you are using identical amplifiers.

Otherwise check the manual.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Ok....I have the cables. I guess what I am asking is the hook up. I am thinking I need to connect my unused amp to an unused channel in the Marantz such as surround backs. I would then bi amp the speaker using the amp assigned to that particular speaker and the amp assigned to the surround backs.
Mark linked you the Y-adapter/cables because he knew then your 8801 was a prepro, that has preamps in them but not power amps like those in an AVR, so there is nothing to assigned as such. As he explained, you need one of those cables per channel that you want to biamp. Let's say you want to bi-amp the center channel, then you simply connect the single ended RCA to the 8801's center channel preout. At the Y adapter end, connect one of the RCA connector to each of the two currently unused channel of the Rotel power amp. Then connect your center speaker to the Rotel's unused channels accordingly, but remember to remove the terminal links.

See section 3 on page 6 here: http://www.bowers-wilkins.net/Downloads/Product/Manual/HTM61-HTM62-manual-600-Series.pdf

Also, please read the passive bi-amping section here: http://www.audioholics.com/frequent-questions/the-difference-between-biamping-vs-biwiring

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis