Best way to set subwoofer with amplifier without bass management

E

Egoquaero

Enthusiast
Dears,
So I just bought a Klipsch R-115sw and I'd like to find the best way to connect it to my current system (Cambridge cxa60 + Tannoy xt6f + chord mojo).
Now from my understanding the amplifier cxa60 doesn't have bass management but it does have the sub output.
(from the amplifier description: If you want to use a subwoofer as part of your speaker complement, the CXA60 doesn’t penalise you for it. Because we want to ensure there’s no unnecessary high frequency noise affecting the subwoofer, we’ve put the output filter at 3kHz. This is high enough to prevent any phase shift associated with the low pass filter affecting what happens below 200Hz. The result is a phase linear subwoofer output signal which is clean and musical.)

Questions:
1) how should I set the low pass dial? Just set to LFE and let the Cambridge do the job or set the crossover on the sub?
2) The problem is that I don't know how the Cambridge cxa60 deals with subwoofers since it doesn't provide me with a way to set the crossover. Did the cxa60 set the crossover at a specific value?

Cheers guys let me know! :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Your sub manual pretty much covers it in the connections and controls section.

Personally I'd try the low pass somewhere around the f3 (the lower frequency -3dB point) of your speakers, dial it in to taste as to how much overlap with the speakers you want/don't want.

Your Cambridge is setting a high pass filter of 3khz from your quote so your Cambridge can't do much at all to help with the sub except provide the sub pre-out, typical of most 2ch integrated amps.

E

Egoquaero

Enthusiast
Thank you so much for your help.
1) low pass somewhere around f3? What does it mean?
2) "lower frequency -3dB". What does -3db refer to?

I'm so sorry to bother you with noob questions :p

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

I'm so sorry to bother you with noob questions :p
F3 is the point where your speakers drop 3 decibels of output (-3dB) in the lower frequencies. So if your main speakers play well down to say, 60hz then the volume drops off below that frequency- that's where you'd want to set your low pass filter on your sub to take up the rest.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

I'm so sorry to bother you with noob questions
Like pogre says it's the lower frequency response of your speakers, look up the plus or minus 3 DB spec on your speakers and use the lower number.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
F3 is the point where your speakers drop 3 decibels of output (-3dB) in the lower frequencies. So if your main speakers play well down to say, 60hz then the volume drops off below that frequency- that's where you'd want to set your low pass filter on your sub to take up the rest.
Actually the best starting point is 1.5 X F3. So if the F3 is 60 set the sun crossover at 90 Hz, if the F3 is 40 Hz set the sub crossover to 60 Hz.

Don't worry about not having bass management. This method is actually better and generally sounds best.

E

Egoquaero

Enthusiast
Thank you guys for your help.
1) Now I'm actually torn between setting it at 40-45 hz (following the speaker natural roll off crossover setting rule) and around 60 hz (following the f3*1.5 rule). I mostly listen to jazz and electronic music. I tend to prefer tight bass.
The sub manual suggests to set from 50 to 90 kz.
2) Any suggestions on how to set the volume gain? Just by ear and my personal preference?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
1) Now I'm actually torn between setting it at 40-45 hz (following the speaker natural roll off crossover setting rule) and around 60 hz (following the f3*1.5 rule). I mostly listen to jazz and electronic music. I tend to prefer tight bass.
2) Any suggestions on how to set the volume gain? Just by ear and my personal preference?
If you speakers play down to 40 Hz, your sub will have very little to do.

I would start by trying all crossover points between 40 and 60 Hz and see which sounds best. Set the volume by ear.

Be careful not to set the sub too loud which most people seem to do.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Try several different low pass filter settings, pick the one that pleases you most.

Most would use an spl meter and test tones to set levels of sub vs mains, but it's about what you like for the most part. A particular level setting may not be what you might find most pleasing at all volume levels due to the way we hear various frequencies (see Fletcher Munson and later studies on the subject if you want to read up some).

ps Here's a more recent paper on the subject of perception of frequencies/loudness https://www.tcelectronic.com/media/1014016/skovenborg_2004_loudness_m.pdf

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis