Best way to add Atmos/DTS:X to an existing 11.3 setup to make it 11.3.4. Help!

J

jzac

Audioholic
Hello audio gurus, I have had the current 11.3 setup for over a decade in my basement and I love it, but now thinking about adding Atmos/DTS:X to see how much more of a difference it will make. I have a drop ceiling and I can add speakers/wiring easily enough. Wondering if it's worth doing the upgrade, and if I do it what's the best economical way to make it 11.3.4 without sacrificing audio quality. I know I'll need to get 15 channels of amplification. I have to pull new HDMI cable too to get it to the newer version. My current setup:

Denon AVR-4810CI -- love this receiver and if I can still use this in some manner without getting rid of it. I can still get some more mileage out of it.
3 Outlaw Mono blocks
11 Axiom speakers for LCR, Heights, Front Wide, surrounds, and rear
Oppo BD player
JVC PJ
Panasonic power conditioner

Can you wonderful folks tell me what's the best way to achieve my goal? Thank you in advance. I've gotten several good info from these threads...good source. Keep it up. Cheers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What's your budget for a new avr/processor? You'll need one capable of 16ch (incl sub).

J

jzac

Audioholic
What's your budget for a new avr/processor? You'll need one capable of 16ch (incl sub).
Budget is open and 15.2 channels AVR is probably what I need...I'll have to daisy chain the 3rd sub if there is no 3 separate sub outs. Something like the Anthem MRX 1140, or the Denon X8500HA, which allows 13.2 channels working simultaneously for the Atmos...but what I am trying to find out is there's another way around using a product in conjunction with my existing receiver to achieve the same.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just split one of the sub pre-outs if needed, doesn't need to be daisy chain type connection. The 8500 caps out at 13.1 ch of processing IIRC....but the new A1H has not only the 15ch of processing but four sub pre-outs separately configurable for delay/level. The best to keep using your old avr is use it as a power amp, there's no add-on unit for the additional processing needed....

J

jzac

Audioholic
Just split one of the sub pre-outs if needed, doesn't need to be daisy chain type connection. The 8500 caps out at 13.1 ch of processing IIRC....but the new A1H has not only the 15ch of processing but four sub pre-outs separately configurable for delay/level. The best to keep using your old avr is use it as a power amp, there's no add-on unit for the additional processing needed....
Ah, cool....thanks for the input. I figured there is no other way around for the add-on. Bummer. I'll look up the A1H unit.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Budget is open and 15.2 channels AVR is probably what I need...I'll have to daisy chain the 3rd sub if there is no 3 separate sub outs. Something like the Anthem MRX 1140, or the Denon X8500HA, which allows 13.2 channels working simultaneously for the Atmos...but what I am trying to find out is there's another way around using a product in conjunction with my existing receiver to achieve the same.
The new Denon AVRs have/will have 4 independent sub output if you want to do 4 independent sub-EQ. If not, just use a Y-cable.

J

jzac

Audioholic
The new Denon AVRs have/will have 4 independent sub output if you want to do 4 independent sub-EQ. If not, just use a Y-cable.
Yeah, that's what I was referring to when I mentioned daisy chaining the subs....with a Y-adapter. Cheaper route. Will look for TG sales or just wait for the A1H feedback. I'm in no hurry until I have looked at all the options. Thx.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis