Best TV Content Provider?

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
Hi guys, I'm in a bit of an odd-ball situation (try not to laugh) :D I've never had cable TV (except u know at my parents place when I was a kid), but the rents are coming to visit and insist that I have cable :p All this time, I've been completely satisfied by what I can get from over the air HD and of course the 'net, but now I'm uncertain as to which provider I should go with in order to get cable.

My only preferences are that there be HD content and that it should be easy to cancel the service once my parents leave (about a month).

I don't even know if you have 'contracts' to which you should subscribe. I've always been interested in Verizon's FIOS, but they haven't got the cables out to us yet.

Would appreciate the recommendations of the masses :p

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
In the past I have always had Directv, I switched to Dish... I am very happy with them... great service, great HD on my Plasma..
Their HD content is awesome... I would never have Cable, My parents have it, and I don't like it at all... Time Warner TV... blah... I do have Road Runner internet and Phone... those are great...

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
So do all Cable/Dish/DTV etc peepz have contracts that you have to sign (i.e. must use service for 1yr), like cell phone plans?

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah pretty much... because they come to your house and install equipment.. Im going to call them and get an upgrade for one of my HD tuner to a HD DVR....

BTW.... I find SD content on SAT. tv better then on Cable...

YMMV...

The Panny Plasma looks great with SD...

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hi guys, I'm in a bit of an odd-ball situation (try not to laugh) :D I've never had cable TV (except u know at my parents place when I was a kid), but the rents are coming to visit and insist that I have cable

My only preferences are that there be HD content and that it should be easy to cancel the service once my parents leave (about a month).
Your parents insisted you get cable for their visit?

LOL....WTF?

Your plan is a silly one.....it's best you let it go.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I don't have cable either, but I seem to recall getting offers in the mail out here to try out digital cable for a month or so with the option to cancel if I don't like it. You could contact the cable companies out there and see if they have something similar.

FYI (in case you didn't know), a number of cable companies will carry HD content over their regular basic (or maybe extended basic) service. They generally don't advertise it, but it's there. If you have a QAM tuner (I think that's what you need), you can get it. I just helped my friend hook up some equipment to his new HDTV on Tuesday, and he and his wife were very happy when I told them and showed them the HD channels that they were getting (they had it for a couple of days without knowing). It truly is amazing the difference in quality! I thought that it would only be the local stations, but they got a lot of channels - including movie channels. That's probably some mistake by the cable company, but they have it for now.

J

jake5717

Audioholic
I have DISH and I think the HD content is great. I have the lowest HD package and thats plenty for me. I think when I started if you signed the contract you got free installation. I didn't sign the contract so I had to pay the $50 install fee.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis