Best sub under $1K??

M

MovingForward

Audioholic Intern
The problem is that the Epik is way too big. WAF plays into effect here. What other sub can I use that won't over power the room in size?

T

TommyTom83

Junior Audioholic
The problem is that the Epik is way too big. WAF plays into effect here. What other sub can I use that won't over power the room in size?
I assume Wife Acceptance Factor is WAF? If so How about the Epik Legend, is that more acceptable in size? Have you checked anything out from Elemental designs?

T

TommyTom83

Junior Audioholic
I assume Wife Acceptance Factor is WAF? If so How about the Epik Legend, is that more acceptable in size? Have you checked anything out from Elemental designs?

M

MovingForward

Audioholic Intern
Yes...I can get a MiniVee10 for $590 or Optimum10 for $461...Would you still pick the Epik Legend or Empire or SVS?

R

RMRM

Audioholic Intern
I know your looking small but here is some choices HSU VFT-1 could go with two of them be close to your 1K. Paradigm Ultra Cube 10" it's a 12" cube. SVS 12" NSD 14" cube. Ryhtmik 12F close to a 15 3/4 cube. I know there others but there something to think about have fun.:D

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
You state your looking for 50 / 50 HT / Music...

I can promise you that a 10" sub won't do movies much justice, and 12" sealed subs are pretty good for HT, but a 15" sub will cover all the bases quite nicely...

I personally wouldn't touch a 10" sub even a pair of them, they just roll off too high for HT.

Now if ported was in the mix - a good 12" or larger would be my first choice...
I had a JL F112 and it was incredibly powerful for music and movies, but just was a touch shy for hitting the low notes under 20hz, which has become more and more prevalent in movies these days... Replacing it with a Submersive has been a great upgrade in down low performance...

A pair of the Epik Legends come under budget and would likely be pretty nice and still offer good mid teens response, otherwise - a single Empire would still be my choice for that size room... Even with a single Submersive, I don't feel like I'm lacking in smooth response around the entire room...

Good luck in your choice..

R

RMRM

Audioholic Intern
That is a good point of the roll off of the small HSU 25hz yes better for music. I was just looking at 2-10's have close to the cone area of a single 15"
but the room is just 1755 ft^3. A lot of good choices here have a good one.:D

S

Slee_Stack

Junior Audioholic
Yes...I can get a MiniVee10 for $590 or Optimum10 for $461...Would you still pick the Epik Legend or Empire or SVS?
Where are you finding an Optimum10 for $461?

Even used, they seem to go for ~ $600.

S

Slee_Stack

Junior Audioholic
Moving-

Your room and constraints are not completely dissimilar from mine. My budget is more like $750 or less. I still haven't chosen a subwoofer. I do have a specific height constraint (<= 15.0") and require a gloss black finish.

Subs on my consideration list include: SVS SB12-NSD, NHT B-12d, Boston RPS1000, Earthquake MiniMe P12, Velodyne Optimum10, Klipsch XW-500D, Aperion Bravus II 10D...

I've actually heard only TWO of these in person and then, only in a store for a very brief time. So I'm pretty much flying blind and can't give you much insight beyond specs and prices posted online.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You state your looking for 50 / 50 HT / Music...

I can promise you that a 10" sub won't do movies much justice, and 12" sealed subs are pretty good for HT, but a 15" sub will cover all the bases quite nicely...

I personally wouldn't touch a 10" sub even a pair of them, they just roll off too high for HT.
I'd have to disagree with that to an extent. The SVS PB-10 I had didn't roll off until 20Hz and had some output down to 16. It didn't have authority down low in a large room for sure, but I was quite impressed with what it could do for a 10" sub, albeit it also uses a large cabinet. It was better for music than movies, but it wasn't exactly doing a poor job with movies either :)

To an extent as I mentioned ;) After moving to a 15" sub and now dual 15", I can't say that I'd be likely to go back to a smaller sub.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Seems to me like a SINGLE SMALL HSU or SVS Subwoofer will work just fine for your room.

10 yrs ago I had a small 10" NHT SW2P 80Watts Sub in my current room (15' x 16' x 15' ceiling) and it shook the walls like crazy.

So I think one of those little HSU or SVS will do just fine.

M

MovingForward

Audioholic Intern
Made my choice...Velodyne Optimum10...$589 from a friend(awesome deal)...Thx for all the input.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Moving-

Your room and constraints are not completely dissimilar from mine. My budget is more like $750 or less. I still haven't chosen a subwoofer. I do have a specific height constraint (<= 15.0") and require a gloss black finish.

Subs on my consideration list include: SVS SB12-NSD, NHT B-12d, Boston RPS1000, Earthquake MiniMe P12, Velodyne Optimum10, Klipsch XW-500D, Aperion Bravus II 10D...
Slee_Stack,
How much music vs HT? If you are mainly music, I'd recommend you consider a pair of smaller sealed subs. The smaller subs won't plumb the depths the way a larger one will, but they usually work well for WAF and provide plenty of low frequency and very good SQ for typical music.

I've actually heard only TWO of these in person and then, only in a store for a very brief time. So I'm pretty much flying blind and can't give you much insight beyond specs and prices posted online.
I can also lend you a sub if you want to get a feel for how much bass you want in your room and whether you have room issues. PM me if you are interested.

Last edited:
S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
A JBL 4641 can be purchased under $900. This passive sub will require a control amp with bass management, that's to say an RCA sub out; and, you will also need an amp, but, suitable, as well as inexpensive are available.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis