Best sub for my money?

A

Andrew24

Enthusiast
Hi everyone, this is going to my 1st 5.1 surround sound setup. I'm having a hard time deciding between a subwoofer. My setup is 2 front old school kenwood LSK-703 speakers.(These are my parents speakers they gave to me) Then I just purchased and installed the pioneer vsx 823-k pioneer receiver, 2 rear polk tsx110 speakers, and one tsx150 polk center. So now i need a sub. One that under 500 dollars preferably. I may be able to spend slightly more than that but not much. Currently I'm looking at a few subwoobers but i am open to suggestions. The subs I'm looking at are as follows (in no specific order), Klipsch - 10" 450W Powered Subwoofer, Klipsch - 8" 350W Powered Subwoofer, and the husu VTF-1 MK2 Subwoofer. There is also the VTF-2 MK 2 Subwoofer but i cannot find a price for this subwoofer.

Any suggestions would be great! thanks for the help!

A

Andrew24

Enthusiast
Hmmm I'm not sure its not the biggest, I can measure it if that would help.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Yep it will help to determine how many subs you may need.

K

kini

Full Audioholic
At the $500 price point the SVS PB 1000 would be a great choice.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
The SVS is a great choice, but after owning an Outlaw LFM-1 EX I'd highly recommend the VTF-2 MK4. I would choose it over the 1 because it's better to have more sub than you need than not enough. You can always dial down, but you can only dial it up so far with having distortion creep up as well.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Hi everyone, this is going to my 1st 5.1 surround sound setup. I'm having a hard time deciding between a subwoofer. My setup is 2 front old school kenwood LSK-703 speakers.(These are my parents speakers they gave to me) Then I just purchased and installed the pioneer vsx 823-k pioneer receiver, 2 rear polk tsx110 speakers, and one tsx150 polk center. So now i need a sub. One that under 500 dollars preferably. I may be able to spend slightly more than that but not much. Currently I'm looking at a few subwoobers but i am open to suggestions. The subs I'm looking at are as follows (in no specific order), Klipsch - 10" 450W Powered Subwoofer, Klipsch - 8" 350W Powered Subwoofer, and the husu VTF-1 MK2 Subwoofer. There is also the VTF-2 MK 2 Subwoofer but i cannot find a price for this subwoofer.

Any suggestions would be great! thanks for the help!
The VTF-2 MkII is long since discontinued and the current model is slightly over $500 right now (get it while it is still on sale) VTF-2 MK4 Subwoofer The VTF-1 is also on sale right now. As mentioned, it would help to know roughly your room size as well.

A

Andrew24

Enthusiast
Ok, my living room is 26ft * 13.5ft. Like i said not very big lol. With that said I will not always live here, like fuzz said, I can always dial something down. But you can only dial something up so much. Basically I want one sub that will last me a long time, even if i move into a place with a huge living area.

Thanks for all you guys input ! keep em coming =D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Typical room IMO, so you don't need to worry too much about not getting enough sub in those you are considering. So if you can swing the VTF-2 Mk4, I'd go with that. If not, then the VTF-1.

A

Andrew24

Enthusiast
ok cool so how do the VTF-2 Mk4 and the SVS PB1000 compare? Pros vs cons?

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I think that at that price point you are rite on the line between going with something in the $200-250 range {or 2 of them} and the VTF2 mk4 {I own 2 of} for a little under $600... So its up to you, I love the vtf2 its the all around best value for your money, its loud, low, and clean, not huge, but sounds huge.. my room is a little bigger than your and one turns it into a theater, 2 cracked the ceiling...

if you are interested in dual subs of less cost, then either 2 bics or 2 polk 505's will also sound good, having 2 more than doubles the output and makes rooms easier to tame... but your budget is on the line of 2 vs 1 vtf2... kind of hard call to make... 1 sub will work a lot harder than 2 subs for the same sound but the vtf2 has a great sound, I never had the chance to put 2 505s vs 2 vtf 2 side by side but have heard them both and both will do fine for your room....

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
ok cool so how do the VTF-2 Mk4 and the SVS PB1000 compare? Pros vs cons?
Hands down vtf-2, thats a no brainer... I like the ps1000 for a good inexpensive sealed musical sub, but I don't think the ported one is worth the money.. again just 1 persons opinion...

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Personally, I would go with the VTF2MK4 because of the adjustability. With the adjustable Q it offers a bit more flexibility, especially if you move. Since this is your first setup you want as much flexibility to figure things out and learn what you like, IMHO.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Another vote for the VTF2 here. However, if you can do a little bit of assembly, there is this Dayton Titanic 4 kit, which is just a bit more, and might be able to hit harder above the VTF2's tuning points.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
I think that at that price point you are rite on the line between going with something in the $200-250 range {or 2 of them} and the VTF2 mk4 {I own 2 of} for a little under $600... So its up to you, I love the vtf2 its the all around best value for your money, its loud, low, and clean, not huge, but sounds huge.. my room is a little bigger than your and one turns it into a theater, 2 cracked the ceiling...

if you are interested in dual subs of less cost, then either 2 bics or 2 polk 505's will also sound good, having 2 more than doubles the output and makes rooms easier to tame... but your budget is on the line of 2 vs 1 vtf2... kind of hard call to make... 1 sub will work a lot harder than 2 subs for the same sound but the vtf2 has a great sound, I never had the chance to put 2 505s vs 2 vtf 2 side by side but have heard them both and both will do fine for your room....
i have heard this as well.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The VTF-2 is on sale for $100 less than the Titanic 4 kit, so it technically isn't a "little bit" more right now, and it doesn't need to be assembled. That sale likely won't last long so I wouldn't hold off too long on it.

A

Andrew24

Enthusiast
Well I would think about doing 2 subs, but i believe my receiver can only do 5.1 surround sound. The 7.2 system was too expensive for me. Thanks for the idea though, I will keep that in mind for a potential future set up.

A

Andrew24

Enthusiast
well sadly I do not think I will make it in time for that sale. I do not get paid for the next week, so got to spend my money wisely =D. I'm just getting a head start on my research.

Thanks for your post!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis