Best Speakers for MOVIES under $4,000

P

papostol

Junior Audioholic
I'm in the process of building a dedicated room for home theater purposes and looking for a 7 channel speaker system under $4,000.

Do you folks have any favorite speakers for movie listening?

I see some reviews say great for movies, so-so for music. That's what I want. A system designed for movies. I Don't care about soundstage or imaging. Just all out crystal clear assault.

Looking forward to your responses.

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Movies only?
In your face hard hitting presentation? Sounds like you are a good candidate for Klipsch;)

P

papostol

Junior Audioholic
Movies only!!!! Don't care about anything else.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
$4000 will buy you a helluva system, but we need more specifics for proper recommendations.

P

papostol

Junior Audioholic
Dedicated room. Approx. 20' long x 14' wide x 8' height. Two rows of seating. Front projection screen. Floorstanders or stand/wall mounted okay for fronts. Parasound electronics. 7 channel.

I was thinking M&K but interested in other's experiences....

Thansk!

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
A klipsch reference system would do nice. But because your room isn't overly large, you can get away with other speakers too.

M&K is another good choice, but you might run over 4 g with one of their nice cinema systems.

For 8 grand you can get the Klipsch THXultra system, but its 8 grand.

I suggest Klipsch Reference speakers with 2 SVS subs.

Does this include electronics too?

SheepStar

V

VS540

Junior Audioholic
papostol said:
I Don't care about soundstage or imaging. Just all out crystal clear assault.
Hmmmm...ear bleeders huh...try Klipsch, Paradigm, Axiom, Theil, Atlantic Technology, B&W and also look for metal tweeters.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Oh yeah, Deftech.

They are known for having a very cinema sound.

SheepStar

P

papostol

Junior Audioholic
I'm loving the responses. That's why I asked.

I was just looking on Klipsch.com at that THX Ultra2. Looks pretty scary.

Anybody ever hear/use those?

4k for speakers only.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
does that include the sub? don't scrimp on the sub. movies without a good sub = bad movie experience.

W

westcott

Audioholic General
Movie Theater sound

Klipsch is revamping their product line.
Should be interesting to hear what the new products sound like.
Definately a speaker design with a movie theater heritage.

Happy Holidays

W

wackii

Audiophyte
What type of receiver r u running these speakers with? For movies only, I would get a nice sub and center. I would put at least 60% of ur fund there = $2400 and the rest on 3 pair of matching bookshelf speakers. I would recommend the GR-research speakers. They are DIY speakers though. I'm running a pair of AV/3 as main. Awesome speakers and easy to drive with (91db sensitivity). That is if you want to get urself dirty and build them. Perhaps, you can check out AV123.com for those rockets. Something like 3 pairs of RS250 and the RSC200. The rest lay it on SVS sub. Good luck.

Al,

D

deftech

Junior Audioholic
I highly recomend you listen to a PROPERLY set up definitive technology bi-polar system. Bi poles are desinned for a very spacious soundstage.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
After doing a bit of research trying to spread the wealth around, I ended up back with one of my favorite manufacturers. DEF TECH!! If it were my money, this is the system I would put together:

Front L/C/R -- CLR 2000
Surrounds -- BP2X
Sub -- SuperCube I or SVS PB12-ISD/2

The13thGryphon

The13thGryphon

Audioholic
If movies are your thing, and you aren't concerned with musical accuracy or enjoyment, and you just have to have an absolute killer home theater, then the best line of speakers I can recommend is Definitive Technology (DefTech).

Due to their bipolar dispersion, and the built in low bass drivers, they absolutely ROCK on movies. Do yourself a favor and check them out before you make a final decision.

Sheep - for the record I agree with you on this one... peace man. :)

rikmeister

rikmeister

Audioholic
they are a lot of choices with that price. best to listen to them first.

dali, quad, dynaudio, totem, vienna acoustic, and energy .

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Don't forget . . .

RBH Sound.
You sould be able to put together a 7 channel system of their signiture series in that price range.

Also consider Axiom Audio: M80 mains, VP150 center, 2 pair QS8 surrounds, and EP500 sub should be within your budget.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I would go with Def-Tech as well and avoid their internal sub models as this can produce some issues - especially if a sub goes out you have to send the whole speaker in for repair.

C/L/R 2000 - yes, very good center, but for stereo, perhaps BP-20s or BP-30s which you can find on eBay and Audiogon for excellent pricing at times.

Surrounds/Rears? BPX models are good choices.

For a sub, I would simply pick the best one that meets the needs of the room and fits the budget. IMO you can't have to much of a sub, but you can have a very poor sub. Always get quality over quantity. Velodyne HGS is awesome, digital drive is better. There are tons of recommended subs all over this site.

Granted - I'm just recommending you my system ;)

Axiom has some nice complete theater packages which should just be considered fairly incredible for your enjoyment...
http://www.axiomaudio.com/epic80_600main.html#

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis