Best Sound System for Parties?

B

BadgerAVS

Audioholic Intern
I was wondering what the best set up would be for speakers solely used for parties. They would be on and playing for 4-6 hours in a giant A-frame attic. Being too loud isn't much of an issue as we are living on Mifflin Street in Madison, WI at the University so our neighbors are also college students who love to party. My major concern is blowing the speakers and the system getting too hot.

Thanks,
Adam

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If you want loud and durable, I'd be thinking about something along the lines of these:
JBL :: Product
Agreed. Also similar large venue pro audio speakers from Mackie, Yamaha, QSC, Behringer. Older Klipsch speakers would be great for that as well.

jp_over

jp_over

Full Audioholic
Ultra durable (I've seen this brand and model survive 2 combat deployments to Afghanistan though we might not quite put them through the abuse seen at dorm parties!) and will bleed your ears. At moderate levels, superb sound reproduction and easy to operate:

Yamaha STAGEPAS 500 Portable PA System
Amazon.com: Yamaha STAGEPAS 500 Portable PA System: Musical Instruments

Depending on funds, you can step up or down a level in the STAGEPAS line.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
JTR speakers are worth considering if you want to spend some more money :D

B

BadgerAVS

Audioholic Intern
Is it safe to say that PA speakers are the most feasible route to go? Keeping in mind smaller speakers can get stolen easily.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
These professional PA speakers with matching amplifiers are a really good choice as it IS what some of the pros are using in clubs and for concerts. I've used (I think) QSC speakers and they are stupid loud in one of my client's homes. But, they aren't inexpensive, or light weight. Two people have a hard time lifting and moving them, and they are four feet tall and wide. The ones I sold I did not include subwoofers with, but they have them available as well.

The rub is the price... But, they will last for an extremely long time and can handle plenty of volume.

Last edited:
B

BadgerAVS

Audioholic Intern
What PA speakers are you referring to? I don't see a link or anything haha.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Can you glue and screw? Pi Four diy kit for $400.

Since PA speakers are being suggested, also consider cinema speakers (JBL, QSC, Klipsch, etc.). Not cheap, but neither are the better PA speakers, and you never know what you can dig up on the used market.

Last edited:
B

BadgerAVS

Audioholic Intern
Alright, thanks for all the help fellas! I'll update with prospective systems I find.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
PA speakers can be had for cheap on the used market. Especially certain brands like Peavey, CW, Behringer. Pi would be great if you have the tools to assemble the kit. That would be my first choice.

jp_over

jp_over

Full Audioholic
I'd beg to differ that PA speakers have to be very expensive or cost more than consumer equipment - one would be hard pressed to find a brand new preamp + cables + amp + speakers pushing 250 watts RMS (stereo) for less than $700 (current price on Amazon) such as the Yamaha STAGEPAS 500 offers.

All you need to add is a mini-stereo to RCA or TS cable (about $4.88) and a laptop or IPOD/MP3 player or similar source and you're in business.
Amazon.com: Hosa Cable CMR206 Stereo 1/8 Inch to Dual RCA Adapter Cable - 6 Foot: Musical Instruments

This is why I use and request this system at many of the places I serve.

To get the same type of power / output, even if you go with the extremely value-priced Emotiva XPA-2, the amp alone will run you $800 + you still need cables, speakers, a pre-amp and source. Not to mention the Yamaha is made to be moved around, comes with it's own mixer / preamp, and can even handle a small band if that's your venue.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Cervin Vega's spring to mind. A good party speaker if sound accuracy isn't required.

B

BadgerAVS

Audioholic Intern
Cervin Vega's spring to mind. A good party speaker if sound accuracy isn't required.
I was going to bring that up, at our parties it really is non-essential that it sound clear and accurate as the majority of people are just grinding to the bass and are too drunk to truly appreciate any sense of sound quality.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis