Best Sound in Movies

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
I have the complete 10 disk box set sitting beside me as I type this. Great series. I hear there is going to be another one.

SheepStar
Ya know Sheep, I've been hearing this rumor for years now; have you heard anything recently?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Ya know Sheep, I've been hearing this rumor for years now; have you heard anything recently?
I believe my friend who is addicted to the series said it would be either Africa or Pacific. I bet IMDb has the answer.

SheepStar

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
Too bad (if it's true) they can't take the actors from the original; they really sold it -- especially Damien Lewis, Ron Livingston, Richard Speight, Wahlberg, ah never mind -- all of them were awesome (except Tom Hanks' son, he was atrocious :p).

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Too bad (if it's true) they can't take the actors from the original; they really sold it -- especially Damien Lewis, Ron Livingston, Richard Speight, Wahlberg, ah never mind -- all of them were awesome (except Tom Hanks' son, he was atrocious :p).
Winters and Gonaria' were awesome. I also liked Sopel.

SheepStar

J

JKL1960

Audioholic
If a new "Band of Brothers" was to follow the same group they were headed to the Pacific but there really wasn't much fighting left as the war was all but over by then.

It would be way cool if they did a "Band of Brothers" type series on the 761st tank battalion.

In regards to the topic of the thread I think "American Beauty" has outstanding sound. It's sound may be a little more subtle than a blockbuster action flick but it is done very, very well. "The Pianist" is also like this.

K

KevInCinci

Junior Audioholic
The problem with a new Band of Brothers-type series is that they don't have a Stephen Ambrose book to work from. From what I heard, he was at work on such a book when he died a few years ago. Obviously, there are thousands of other books that could be used, but Ambrose had an eye for "the hook" that made for a good series and had the cache to bring the celebs on board and get such a monstrous undertaking approved. But I do remember hearing a while back that such a Pacific Theater project was in the works, but haven't seen any updates.

Incidentally, I had the pleasure of meeting Ambrose around the time BoB premiered on HBO. According to him, it did not do nearly as well as anticipated in the ratings because it was overshadowed by bigger things, namely September 11th. HBO eventually re-released the series that spring in hopes of recapturing its audience. I think the DVD sales helped a lot, too.

Cheers,

Kevin

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
All three of the Bourne movies on HD-DVD have amazing soundtracks.

Nothing on DVD, IMO, can compare with the lossless audio tracks on the HD formats but Pirates of the Caribean and Master and Commander both have great soundtracks. The Lord of the Rings movies also have excellent sound.

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
The problem with a new Band of Brothers-type series is that they don't have a Stephen Ambrose book to work from. From what I heard, he was at work on such a book when he died a few years ago. Obviously, there are thousands of other books that could be used, but Ambrose had an eye for "the hook" that made for a good series and had the cache to bring the celebs on board and get such a monstrous undertaking approved. But I do remember hearing a while back that such a Pacific Theater project was in the works, but haven't seen any updates.

Incidentally, I had the pleasure of meeting Ambrose around the time BoB premiered on HBO. According to him, it did not do nearly as well as anticipated in the ratings because it was overshadowed by bigger things, namely September 11th. HBO eventually re-released the series that spring in hopes of recapturing its audience. I think the DVD sales helped a lot, too.

Cheers,

Kevin
Hopefully they will re-release this set of discs in blu-ray with lossless audio; I would definitely purchase it. Very cool that you got to meet Ambrose in person, I bet he was a fascinating individual to talk to.

B

Bwils10

Enthusiast
My favorites would have to be...
- Top Gun 6.1 DTS (Of course)
- Bourne Ultimatum was actually pretty decent with the heavy action scenes.
- Saving Private Ryan in DTS
- Blueman Group in DTS audio dvd (I know its not a movie but the sound is incredible)
- Pirates of the Caribbean At Worlds End
- Master and Commander
- Harry Potter (The new one) used the surrounds well in the lil battle scenes
- Ratatouille was good as well
- U-571 was very impressive
- Pearl Harbor will blow your mind
My overall favorite would have to be Top Gun though. I have yet to experience something that matches it.:)

J

Jumpa

Audiophyte
Best All around Movie to test your sound system

The best and I mean hands down all around bass treble fades surround sound high's and lows is ......Drum roll please..................
"Saving Private Ryan" . You might think I'm crazy but if, when you watch it, you just may find yourself ducking from bullets, like I did the first time I brought the movie home. Some times & it has happened to me a few times, the sound can be sooo life like, so real, your brain tricks you into smelling things that aren't really there.. During that movie I could have sworn I smelled gun powder. It's a rare thing but it happens

xego

xego

Junior Audioholic
Just to throw a few out here...i don't really have the sub capability to asses films LFE however I thought yes "Master and Commander" rules. It is what I play for someone when I want to show off the surrounds. Oddly enough I remember reading a thread over at the AVS forum saying that M&C had its LFE track capped or something? they were making a big stink about it? I think they are on crack.

Another that needs to be mentioned is "The Fifth Element" v.2 ..there are so many good scenes to show off picture and audio in that one. The Opera scene i like especially.

Another that goes mostly unnoticed for its sound design is "Lost in Translation" I know it isn't one you would readily think of for sound but the way it is used is terrific. The sounds of street life in Tokyo are pretty amazing. You get a real feel for what a real assault on the senses all that noise and chaos coming at you from everywhere. There is a scene where a guy starts shooting some sort of ping pong ball gun or something something at you and I swear it sounds like they are ricocheting off the wall behind you.

I was also pretty impressed with the "Ghostbusters" BD, for an old movie the picture quality is great and the HD track is pretty good for a film that old. It isn't going to shake the windows out of their panes but it is surprisingly good.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The guys complaining about Master and Commander are mistaken. That thing still shakes the hell out of the house. Waterfall charts don't tell the whole story...there is plenty of bass in the cannon scene, it is just a lot cleaner now.

Waboman

Waboman

Audiophyte
Percy Jackson rocked my house searching for that darn lightning bolt. Also, Ninja Assassin makes good use of the surrounds and has some deep LFE too.

deafgerm

Audiophyte
MY LIST (so far)

I have too many favorites but here's the top 10 movies/series from the top of my head:

10) To Train your Dragon :)
9) Cloverfield :eek:
8) Iron Man II :D
7) Hellboy II :D
6) Dark Knight :cool:
5) Serenity :eek:
4) The Incredible Hulk 2008 :eek:
3) Matrix: Revolutions :D
2) Scott Pilgrim vs. the World :cool:
1) Spartacus: Blood and Sand :eek:

You all should watch these with the Buttkicker LFEs (or any other ground pounding Tactile Transducers). Spartacus is my personal favorite so far and I use this everytime I get to demonstrate the Buttkicker experience to my friends who never get to experience it!!

In addition, thank you all for listing your personal favorites because I plan to watch them with my buttkickers in the future.

harleyoz

harleyoz

Audioholic Intern
A few I like!

A few others that I like as well:cool:

- Gladiator - opening battle sequence & colosseum gladiator fight
- Terminator 2
- Gone in sixty seconds - Elanor Mustang car chase (for the rev heads)
- Blackhawk down - deaf by the end of it!

D

deedubb

Full Audioholic
The helicopter battle scene in Outbreak sounds amazing. Video quality of the movie sucks though.

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
I have too many favorites but here's the top 10 movies/series from the top of my head:

10) To Train your Dragon :)
9) Cloverfield :eek:
8) Iron Man II :D
7) Hellboy II :D
6) Dark Knight :cool:
5) Serenity :eek:
4) The Incredible Hulk 2008 :eek:
3) Matrix: Revolutions :D
2) Scott Pilgrim vs. the World :cool:
1) Spartacus: Blood and Sand :eek:

You all should watch these with the Buttkicker LFEs (or any other ground pounding Tactile Transducers). Spartacus is my personal favorite so far and I use this everytime I get to demonstrate the Buttkicker experience to my friends who never get to experience it!!

In addition, thank you all for listing your personal favorites because I plan to watch them with my buttkickers in the future.
Good list.......... The opening sound track of Spartacus (LFE) the drums have a deep real sound with great LtoR seperation.... New TRON and 2012 have good front to rear seperation and LFE.. Bluray on all is COOL but expensive if you collect movies.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis