Best Sound DVDS the Showdown!

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
Blade 2 in DTS-ES.
When they are in the club, the hip-hop beat surrounds you and the bass is terriffic. Then they cut to a guy outside in a van in the rain and I've gotten up several times to look out the window to see if it's really raining. Also, when they are in the sewer and the Reaper vampires are chasing after them by climbing on the walls and the ceiling it's very creepy.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
yeah, awesome sound on Blade Trinity, bought that the day it came out and now I have the whole trilogy

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Boy we see a new thread like this about every week.
Anyhow.
This week I will go with Terminator 2 (DTS), Terminator 3 (DD), and Top Gun (DTS-ES)

EDIT::: I am right in the middle of Men In Black (Superbit-DTS) and it does have some very good surround sound. Ok on the bass, but surround is much better than some other DTS movies.

Last edited:
maximoiglesias

maximoiglesias

Audioholic
Concerts and music DVDs

How about your opinions on musical DVDs.
If we are audioholics we must love music.
Let us read your comments.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
brian32672 said:
Boy we see a new thread like this about every week.
Anyhow.
This week I will go with Terminator 2 (DTS), Terminator 3 (DD), and Top Gun (DTS-ES)

EDIT::: I am right in the middle of Men In Black (Superbit-DTS) and it does have some very good surround sound. Ok on the bass, but surround is much better than some other DTS movies.
Top gun DTS-ES, if I could ever find it at the store when I go in a widescreen version I would so have it already, both the local Best Buy and Walmart only carry it in full screen

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Spiffyfast said:
Top gun DTS-ES, if I could ever find it at the store when I go in a widescreen version I would so have it already, both the local Best Buy and Walmart only carry it in full screen
By chance that one I have in widescreen, however to answer your pm - about 75 to 80% of my collection is in 4:3.

I will say the worst DTS transferred disc that I have is Labryrinth. Its DD is actually better, and the Superbit is also a terrible transfer and is not much better than the normal version I also have...

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
brian32672 said:
By chance that one I have in widescreen, however to answer your pm - about 75 to 80% of my collection is in 4:3.

I will say the worst DTS transferred disc that I have is Labryrinth. Its DD is actually better, and the Superbit is also a terrible transfer and is not much better than the normal version I also have...
what are the odds of that, I figured more than 80% would be full screen, you just like the image to look bigger dont you

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Spiffyfast said:
what are the odds of that, I figured more than 80% would be full screen, you just like the image to look bigger dont you
Oh, I also have Top Gun in 4:3 but not in DTS version. Just DD 5.1 for the other one. :)

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Spiffyfast said:
you just like the image to look bigger dont you
Yeah Drew Barrymore and Kirsten Dunst in 4:3 at 120" at home is great ;)
Specially the wet shirt scene in Speedoman :p

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
brian32672 said:
Yeah Drew Barrymore and Kirsten Dunst in 4:3 at 120" at home is great ;)
Specially the wet shirt scene in Speedoman :p
LOL yeah, can't beat an 8' tall Kirsten Dunst in your living room, well yeah I guess ya could the real thing enjoying the movie with ya

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Gladiator DTS-ES
The Haunting DTS-ES - not the best movie, but the sound is excellent.
Titan:AE DTS
LOTR - all of the EEs in DTS-ES

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
Titan AE has some great bass, it will def. give the sub a work out

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Forgot to put:

Incredibles. :D Tons of very low stuff in there, and the surround is very well mixed.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
j_garcia said:
Forgot to put:

Incredibles. :D Tons of very low stuff in there, and the surround is very well mixed.
that may be my favorite animated movie, great sound plus I think its very funny. My friend owns a movie theater so we go and open it up at night sometimes where its just a few of us watching a movie, and we'll order pizza and bring beer and such and just chill. We were watching that movie and towards the end when the are all trying to escape from the island and they run past the surveillance van in the hanger..if you listen close you can hear the "bad guys" say every time they run take a shot...that was the funniest thing I had ever heard in an animated movie, now it coulda been that we were all drunk by that point, but it still always makes me chuckle when I watch it.

Jaycan

Jaycan

Audioholic
Jurasic Park DTS

The first head shot of T Rex chomping on the goat, with it's terrifying growling, or when it is sniffing around the ford explorer, and that close up of his foot from behind after he has chowed down on lawyer boy, accompanied by the most incredible "clooomph", still raises my hackles.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
U-571

That movie (U-571) won best sound editing award in 2000, I think its the weiner. Sin city was great sound too.

sheep

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
LOTR: Return of The King EE DTS:ES

Joy Ride

Se7en DTS:ES

Akira SE THX DD5.1

~Bob

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sheep said:
That movie (U-571) won best sound editing award in 2000, I think its the weiner. Sin city was great sound too.
Lots has come out since 2000....

J

jmgillespie

Junior Audioholic
I'm throwing in The Transporter Special Edition with DTS. Better action flick then most (no plot like most action flicks but who cares its action). Lots of bass, a nice amount of rear surround (didn't over due but used it nicely) and it did a reall good job on direction of the sound coming from right and left.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis