Best small speaker(s) under $50

G

George Lentini

Enthusiast
I'm looking for decent quality speakers for my desktop. I know I won't get the best quality for my price point, but I'm going to be using headphones most of the time and only need these for occasions when there are multiple people watching/listening. I don't have much space on my desk, so the smaller the better. Is there a single unit that would sound just as good as a multi-piece setup? If I will really see a massive difference, I'd be willing to spend a little more, but I'd rather not if I can avoid it.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If you're lucky try to find Behringer MS16 on sale or spend the extra $20 on them
They are worth it

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
George, keep in mind that with "just any speakers", you will need an amplifier to drive them. You might search for "powered speakers", or "computer speakers"

But, with that budget, don't expect too much.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'm looking for decent quality speakers for my desktop. I know I won't get the best quality for my price point, but I'm going to be using headphones most of the time and only need these for occasions when there are multiple people watching/listening. I don't have much space on my desk, so the smaller the better. Is there a single unit that would sound just as good as a multi-piece setup? If I will really see a massive difference, I'd be willing to spend a little more, but I'd rather not if I can avoid it.
As everyone else mentioned, anything decent under $50 is gonna be very difficult. That really means you need self powered speakers. If you are really gonna keep it under $50, then you are almost certainly gonna have to look on the used market.

Here are some for $75 to consider
http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Studiophile-Active-Monitor-Speakers/dp/B0051WAM1O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446814959&sr=8-1&keywords=m+audio+monitors

These are $80
http://www.amazon.com/Alesis-M1-Active-Monitor-Speakers/dp/B0011Z87I0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1446815054&sr=8-2&keywords=alesis+monitor

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Under $50 is a tough price point.
I have never heard them, but the JBL Loft 40's are on sale for $40/pair with free shipping, so they at least meet your price point. The ratings on Amazon and NewEgg are pretty decent (FWIW).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=86-110-015&nm_mc=AFC-dealnews&cm_mmc=AFC-dealnews-_-NA-_-NA-_-86-110-015
Looks like they're $80 for the pair on Newegg. The Loft 30 is available new on eBay from numerous sellers (probably not authorized dealers) for a little under $50 a pair. Still need an amplifier though, the Lepei might fit the bill.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Looks like they're $80 for the pair on Newegg. The Loft 30 is available new on eBay from numerous sellers (probably not authorized dealers) for a little under $50 a pair. Still need an amplifier though, the Lepei might fit the bill.
That is the problem with places like NewEgg and Amazon, the price can change any second! I think they have software that controls the price based on the sales rate.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
That is the problem with places like NewEgg and Amazon, the price can change any second! I think they have software that controls the price based on the sales rate.
Or they saw people were looking at it, and decided to jack it up. I'd equate it to tying a dollar to a string...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis