Best Scary Movies - For Sound

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
CaliHwyPatrol said:
Saw. This is a damn good one but you guys gotta help me grab some more like it!
~Chuck
Saw. In that case you want a gory movie. rent anything by Lucio Fulci (Theres a scary movie challeneg going on at the home theater forum right now). In particular Conquest has probably the most gore (and titties!) ever filmed. Granted the sound is awful, and its a sword & sorcery flick not horror.

For a gory horror movie: Cannibal Ferox (aka. Make Them Die Slowly), Zombie Holocaust, Dawn Of The Dead (Romero), and any of about 10,000 other late 70's films have so much gore they make Saw or Hostel look like Disney movies. (How many films in the last 10 years have had people being disembowled on camera. And used real intestines to do it?) Heck, Nekromantik had actual 3-way with corpse action.

But you want cool surround sound..... For that you need some newer titles Dawn Of The Dead, Brotherhood Of The Wolf, The Eye, and
Silent Hill all have very aggressive 5 channel surround tracks and some serious 'thump' for your subwoofer.

CaliHwyPatrol

CaliHwyPatrol

Audioholic Chief
If it has bad sound, I don't want to see it. I don't care much for gore either, I've seen plenty of real gore to have my fill. I'm just into getting some scary stuff to freak out my girl and her sister haha. I'm twisted, I know. :D

Those newer ones you added look good. I've only seen Dawn of the Dead, so I'll have to check out the other 3. Thanks for the input!

~Chuck

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I liked Brotherhood of the Wolf. Good flick.

I don't know if the sound was good, but A Company of Wolves was also a great flick.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
CaliHwyPatrol said:
If it has bad sound, I don't want to see it. I don't care much for gore either, I've seen plenty of real gore to have my fill. I'm just into getting some scary stuff to freak out my girl and her sister haha. I'm twisted, I know. :D ~Chuck
Well then I think you are going to miss out on a lot of good horror flicks. Most of the really scary movies were made in the 70's or early 80's and most don't have great sound. Good sound does not necessarily equal scary.

CaliHwyPatrol

CaliHwyPatrol

Audioholic Chief
Yeah, but that is what the girls are used to. They like scary movies, I'm just going to open up a new realm of scary. :D

~Chuck

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
agarwalro said:
Donno if the soundtracks are different, I saw it on DVD and liked that. Great use of surrounds and LFE.
Uncompressed 5.1 PCM on the Blu-ray, far better quality than the DVD.
j_garcia said:
The Haunting DTS!! (if you can find it) One of the best for sound - This one was the first DTS-ES movie ever done.
Definitely one of the best DTS discs I've ever heard. Sound can be scary and the .LFE on this in some of the scenes is tremendous.
tomd51 said:
Can't remember how good the soundtrack was in 'The Ring', but it likely was pretty decent from a surround and LFE usage. Good suspense at times, too... -TD
I know people are of varied opinions on this, but The Ring scared the shite out of me.
Nice DTS track on the DVD.
CaliHwyPatrol said:
I thought Saw II had mediocre sound? I haven't seen it but I thought I saw that on here a while back. If it's good though, I'll grab that one up. It doesn't have DTS like it's predecessor does it?
Yeah they skimped on the DTS track - bad move! Saw's DTS track was very enveloping, even right from the Twisted Pictures logo.
Saw II on Blu-ray will have DTS-HD high resolution 6.1
DTS-HD High Resolution Audio can deliver up to 7.1 channels of sound that is virtually indistinguishable from the original. DTS-HD High Resolution Audio delivers audio at high constant bit rates superior to standard DVDs---6.0 Mbps on Blu-ray discs and 3.0 Mbps on HD-DVD to produce outstanding sound quality. It is capable of delivering up to 7.1 channels at 96k sampling frequency/24 bit depth resolution. It allows content creators to deliver rich, high definition audio on movies where disc space may not allow for DTS-HD Master Audio.
Yummy. :D

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
Just watched "An American Haunting" last night with my girl -- very reminiscent of "The Exorcist" in terms of its content (perhaps not its pedigree) but the sound is just great. Lots of panning creepy sounds, deep gutteral growling from the sides and rear and lots of spooky heavy breathing with just the right dose of LFE. Overall the sound design of this movie elevated it from being average to well above average in the creep out factor. When the professor interrogates the demon you will sh!t your pants. I did, and I had to do an extra load of laundry to prove it.

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
The Chukker said:
When the professor interrogates the demon you will sh!t your pants. I did, and I had to do an extra load of laundry to prove it.
Now that's funny...:D -TD

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Driving to work today radio talk show host mentioned Event Horizon as a very scary movie? I never heard of it! Has anybody seen it and if so, how was it?:)

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

billy p said:
Driving to work today radio talk show host mentioned Event Horizon as a very scary movie? I never heard of it! Has anybody seen it and if so, how was it?:)
It was ~ok-ish. I remember hearing that it was supposed to be scary, but for me it really didn't do much. I think I only saw it on tv, so it was in mono/stereo. A better soundtrack with good use of the surrounds could definately have improved the scariness.

I think there was a thread about it around this time last year. If I recall some people thought is was one of the scariest movies ever and others (like me) thought it had a few moments but kept falling flat and never really delivered.

Jack

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
billy p said:
That movie draaaaaggggggeeeedddd.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Tom Andry said:
You're a lot kinder than I would be.

I just picked up Freddy vs. Jason for the evening. LOTS of gore, me thinks. (Perfect for Sheepstar...but it was the only movie left on the local discount store $5 Halloween special sale. ;) ) Just so long as my two HSU's engage the neighborhood, I'll be happy.

The fog machine is warming up, AverageJoe! :D

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Tom Andry said:
Thanks for the heads up Gents!! :) I just thought if was worth renting for tonight, that's all?

Last edited:
Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

If I recall, Alien vs Predator had pretty good sound effects. The story is kind of cheesy, but I half liked it, it was stupid stuff combined the best elements from several movies without fully and blatantly ripping them off.

Might be worth renting.

Jack

D

doomguardian

Audioholic
Silent Hill had crazy LFE. It was making my relatively new sub (20Hz, 800wt) fart. No other movie does this.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
heh

Jack Hammer said:
If I recall, Alien vs Predator had pretty good sound effects. The story is kind of cheesy, but I half liked it, it was stupid stuff combined the best elements from several movies without fully and blatantly ripping them off.

Might be worth renting.

Jack
I rented that Dvd this past summer, silly but entertaining. Funning how they tied the story line between how Alien and Predator came to being:) . I just hope there's no AVP 2. enough with the sequels already. :D

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

billy p said:
Not terribly scary. Its largey a horror retelling of Disney's The Black Hole. The DVD does have a very aggressive 5.1 mix tho'.

But the movie was filmed with way way way too much detail. Every frame from within the spaceship is jam packed with honeycombs, criss-crossed metal bars, shades, and starnge weld patterns. M-PEG2 hates this kinda of stuff, so there are alot of picture quality bugaboos because of it. And its non-anamorphic.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It was Hellraiser meets The Black Hole. Interesting movie, OK, not great. I actually saw that in theaters...and even scarier, I saw The Black Hole in theaters too :eek:

We just watched An American Haunting last night. Movie was very average at best, despite some big names. Story was predictable and unoriginal, cinematography was OK, and scare factor wasn't that high with just a few good scenes, but WOW it had a lot of good surround and decent LFE. I may pick this one up just for the sound too.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
rjbudz said:
You're a lot kinder than I would be.

I just picked up Freddy vs. Jason for the evening. LOTS of gore, me thinks. (Perfect for Sheepstar...but it was the only movie left on the local discount store $5 Halloween special sale. ;) ) Just so long as my two HSU's engage the neighborhood, I'll be happy.

The fog machine is warming up, AverageJoe! :D
Uhm, I own 1 scary movie (Silent Hill), so why would this be perfect for me?

SheepStar

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis