Best portable CD player

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
Is there such a thing as a "best" portable CD player, or are they all about the same? I have noticed that typical prices are around $30-$40, but they go as high as $90 and as low as $10. Does more expensive=better? Any specific make/model recommended?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I haven't heard a good portable CD player in a while. I had one about 5 years ago that was excellent. It was a Sony, not sure of the model, and it broke from having a hard life. After that I purchased another Sony and it just wasn't the same. I have also had an Awia, before they were bought out by Sony, and I currnently have a Philips. Depending on the application it may not matter much about SQ between players. Even so, everone is using some type of MP3 player anyway.:D

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
The application will be my mom's cabin. I found some surprisingly good portable speakers for her (from the makers of the "T-Amp"), and now she needs a player to go with them. I may just get Philips, as I have generally been happy with their products.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
These have pretty much become commodities.

Spend low and figure on getting "decent" SQ and if it lasts a few years, so be it. Replacements are cheap enough.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Are you saying portable because of no electricity or you just want something small? This panasonic DVD player has a pretty small footprint if it's the latter, though I suspect you are asking about battery powered cd players as I think about it.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DVDS52S-Progressive-Scan-Play/dp/B000ELIBUG/ref=sr_1_4/103-6720857-9329401?ie=UTF8&s=audio-video&qid=1172852320&sr=1-4

Nick
I would think any old DVD player would work just fine, and better than a portable CD player.

You can get a DVD player for around $50-60 that will play most any type of CD. So if she has a way to plug this stuff in you could just go that route. If she gets that and decides she wants a small tv she can use the DVD player for that as well.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I would think any old DVD player would work just fine, and better than a portable CD player.
Thanks. She has a portable DVD player (with screen), but the battery pack is only good for about two movies, hence the need for a separate CD player.
As I said, I will Probably just get her the $40 Philips.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis