Best Loudspeaker for around $350 (each)??

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If needed some speakers with a $350 each budget, I would probably go for these KEF Q300, if I already had a good subwoofer. Without a sub, this Arx Ar5 might be a good choice.

A

audioscrub

Audiophyte
Thank you for all of your help shadyJ, I just looked at some of the other threads that mentioned KEF Q300 and they concur that these are probably one of the best buys at this price point. I will upgrade to a better sub and get these :)

Do you have any suggestions for a center at around $180ish? Once again, thanks!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Always get the center that matches your front left and right speakers, or else you will have a very schizophrenic soundstage. Not only that, but a crap center will mess up the whole sound, so it won't matter how good the left and rights are, they won't overcome the sound of a bad center speaker. The corresponding center for the KEF Q300s is the Q600c, and it is a lot more than $180. If that is too expensive, I would use a phantom center, which is where the avr blends the center channel programming into the left and right fronts in such a way that it sounds like you had a center speaker. You could also simply buy a set of speakers which has a more affordable matching center. By the way, the best center channel speaker is identical speaker to your left and right fronts, but I don't think you can buy a single Q300. The only reason they have horizontal center speakers is for its convenient form factor, and also a nice way to overcharge for a speaker.

A

audioscrub

Audiophyte
Thanks for all the suggestions guys!
I don't think that I can afford the Q600c's and I'm not so keen on not having a center at all, so I guess the Q300's are out of the question :(
I'll look into the three other suggestions you guys have given :)

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
What ShadyJ mentioned earlier the Arx A5 towers are great although will stretch your budget alittle. The Arx A1b and a good subwoofer would also be another good choice. Even though the A1b is lower than your budget they compete well with bookshelfs cost much more. Add the single A1b for center channel and you'll have a nice front setup. Use some money you saved and add that toward the subwoofer budget.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Given that budget I would build some of Jeff Bagby's Tempests.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis