Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
4 octaves is quite impressive. That is like 100hz-1600hz range. For a human's vocal chords that is rather unique. I would be lucky to hit two octaves.
Obviously you've never heard me step on the dog's rawhide bone in bare feet. :eek:

I'd have to put Melissa Etheridge on the list.

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
Now if we are starting to judge the speaker on her physical appearance as well as her voice its going to open a big ole can of worms.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
sjdgpt said:
Now if we are starting to judge the speaker on her physical appearance as well as her voice its going to open a big ole can of worms.
i change my vote to the Bangles !!! hey, unlike the Spice Girls, at least they could play instruments...

the Runaways (Joan Jett, Lita Ford, Cherrie Currie, Sandy West, and Michael Steele, who is probably better known for her work with the Bangles) should also get credit

J

jzac

Audioholic
As far as pureness in voice goes, I think its Karen Carpenter as well! Whatever she sings sounds so crisp unlike anyone else. The other one I like for having a unique voice is Tina Turner. Put her and Rod Steward in the studio and you will have one good album for sure. :)

The best of the best musically for me would be....hmmm....darn tough... 2 of them... Celine Dion and Karen Carpenter! :)

S

slmcdonald7

Junior Audioholic
Without a doubt, the best female vocalist I have ever heard is Lori Chambers of the band Waterdeep. She has the most hauntingly beautiful voice I have ever heard. I listed her husband Don Chambers as one of my favorite male vocalists in the thread related to this one. I'm not the biggest fan of Contemporary Christian music, but Waterdeep is truly a diamond in the rough. Make sure that if you ever listen to any type of Christian music you check out Waterdeep first.

-Stephen

annunaki

annunaki

I was watching VH1's 100 greatest 1 hit wonders, as I was recovering from my New Year's hangover. (I know it was bad but I did not have enough energy to change the channel.) The woman who sang "Loving You" had a 5 octave range with her voice. She is now passed away. I cannot think of her name for the life of me. I would assume that would put her high notes in the range of 3000 hz depending upon how low she could sing. That is astounding!!

By the way, did anyone find out who the #1, 1 hit wonder was? :confused: :D

jaguars_fan

jaguars_fan

Junior Audioholic
Minnie Riperton was the one who sang Lovin' You ;)

jaguars_fan

jaguars_fan

Junior Audioholic
According to VH1, "The Macarena" by Los Del Rio (1996) was their number one pick and "Kung Fu Fighting" by Carl Douglas (1974) ranked at the 100th spot. It's ironic that The Macarena also was number 40 on their 40 Most Awesomely Bad #1 Songs...Ever list. :rolleyes:

20to20K

Full Audioholic
Here are mine...

Billie Holliday
Aretha Franklin
Joni Mitchell
Chaka Khan
Barbara Streisand

Current favs are Mary J. Blige and Cassandra Wilson

yoss

yoss

Enthusiast
Yes - Karen Carpenter. Her voice in «Calling occupants ...» is (was) unearthly good.

I seem to remember a certain «Adeva», too. She was different, but not bad at all.

Esther Philips - «What a Difference a Day Makes»?

Randy Crawford - «Streetlife»?

Cheers

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
jaguars_fan said:
Minnie Riperton was the one who sang Lovin' You ;)
I believe Maya Rudolph, one of the current SNL players, is Minnie Riperton's daughter. Although I think the show is fairly unwatchable in its present form, its quite obvious she has a special voice.

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
Marilyn Monroe. At least when she sang "Happy Birthday" to President Kennedy. I do not care how bad it really was, she sang it like she was ready to get on her knees and unz. Oops, wrong "forum".

Last edited:
jaguars_fan

jaguars_fan

Junior Audioholic
Hawkeye said:
I believe Maya Rudolph, one of the current SNL players, is Minnie Riperton's daughter. Although I think the show is fairly unwatchable in its present form, its quite obvious she has a special voice.
You are correct...she is the daughter of songwriter/producer Richard Rudolph & Minnie Ripperton. Richard and Minnie co-wrote "Lovin' You". ;)

race4aliving

race4aliving

Audioholic
Sarah Brightman
K.D. Lang
Valarie Carter
Annie Lenox
and I can't believe no one remembers the greatest female singer ever.

Patsy Cline

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
Like I said before, if we are going to start comparing the female speakers based upon a criteria other than their voices (such as physical appearance, or.... their eagerness to, um, what was that phrase
Mudcat said:
get on her knees and unz
, we are going to open a whole big can of worms.

In which case I have several that I would like to nominate. :D

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
race4aliving said:
and I can't believe no one remembers the greatest female singer ever.

Patsy Cline
Because most of us are not tabacco chewing, dinner plate sized belt buckle wearing, bow legged cowboys.

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
Wonder why no one has selected:

Celine Dion

Shania Twain

Who has sold more recordings in their respective class?

Who can deliver a song like Celine?

Who has composed and can sing a country song to top Shania among women singers?

Who gets better paid and who gets contracted for a longer period than Celine (her Vagas contract just been extended for an extra year).

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
mfabien said:
Wonder why no one has selected:

Shania Twain

Who has sold more recordings in their respective class?

Who has composed and can sing a country song to top Shania among women singers?
Simple. Shanie Twain is an entertainer, not a singer. Even when she wins the CMA Entertainer of the Year, she is never even nominated as Best Female Vocalist. The BFV category is reserved for people with more talent than packaging, and normally includes true singers like Tricia Yearwood, Martina McBride, Faith Hill, Sara Evans, LeeAnn Womack, and (during the years she's not failing miserably as a pop diva) LeeAnn Rimes.

With that level of singing ability to compete against, Shania is nothing more than, well, an entertainer. She will never be referred to as a songbird.

race4aliving

race4aliving

Audioholic
Mudcat said:
Because most of us are not tabacco chewing, dinner plate sized belt buckle wearing, bow legged cowboys.
Mudcat, sorry to inform you but,I too am from northern Virginia. I don't chew tobbacco or have a big belt buckle. heck the only time i've been on a horse was in Iraq. if my legs are bowed it's from jumping out of airplanes. you didn't need to flame me because I happen to like a "country" singer who is also from northern Virginia...like you and I. but I guess you could tell I was a redneck from my other choices for my picks for best female voice.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis