Best Center Speaker Position

E

echoesian

Audioholic Intern
Above or below TV? Please vote for your preference and share some of your thoughts pls...

C

chas_w

Full Audioholic
I think this is really going to depend on your setup. Factors such as how high the TV is mounted, exactly how the speaker would be positioned, if you have second row seating, are all going to be a part of the equation. If you are asking about a specific setup I think pictures and/or diagrams would be helpful to anyone offering an opinion on this question.

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
it should be inline with all of your speakes. At ear level, if you cant place it at ear level because of your TV then andle it up or down to get the sound where you want it.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
No perfect solution to this without using a projector and acoustically transparent screen.

After that it comes down to do you want the screen at the wrong height or the center speaker.

Optimal screen height is the lower border to be 30" from the floor. That puts the center speaker if it is blow the screen at a good place to get colored sound from floor reflections.

Probably on balance above the screen angled to the listening area is the best compromise, especially if your center is vertical and not horizontal. I find that gives satisfactory results.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Optimal screen height is the lower border to be 30" from the floor. That puts the center speaker if it is blow the screen at a good place to get colored sound from floor reflections.
Is it that much of a problem with thick carpet? Bare floors or just a throw rug I could see causing issues. Have you heard problems 24" up over thick carpet?

What I've done with my center is place it as far forward as the TV stand allows preventing reflections off the stand. I have it sitting in Mopads angled up to aim toward head height at my seating position. That's what works for me but I'm always open to learning more.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Is it that much of a problem with thick carpet? Bare floors or just a throw rug I could see causing issues. Have you heard problems 24" up over thick carpet?

What I've done with my center is place it as far forward as the TV stand allows preventing reflections off the stand. I have it sitting in Mopads angled up to aim toward head height at my seating position. That's what works for me but I'm always open to learning more.
Either way there will be compromise.

Carpet will reduce the floor reflections but not eliminate them. I have personally found that near floor positions for speakers are less than satisfactory.

The next issue is that centers are usually MTM turned the wrong way. That maximizes vertical dispersion and minimizes horizontal dispersion.

However I understand vertical speaker orientation is not a practical option for most.

More, may be all manufacturers, should develop coaxial center speakers, which goes a long way to solving a lot of the problems of center channel speakers.

Anybody with construction skills should really consider building a center speaker based on the SEAS coaxial drivers. These drivers are grossly under utilized in center speakers.

They are the best currently available coaxial drivers and independent tests have found them superior to the KEF coaxial drivers. Properly loaded they are good neutral very low coloration drivers.

I seem to be the only one using them here and that is a pity. In my view they are simply the best drivers around for center channel use.

I have visited a lot of dealers now and have not heard a center speaker that comes anywhere close to mine on performance, especially stable uncolored natural speech.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I have my center spleaer ove rmy display and angled down towards the listener. It also sits about 2ft behind the screen. It works well for me. Dialogue is always clear.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I have mine on a shelf under the display angled up. It works for me.

AJinFLA

AJinFLA

Banned
No perfect solution to this without using a projector and acoustically transparent screen.
So called "acoustically transparent" screens are uncompromising?

Optimal screen height is the lower border to be 30" from the floor.
How was that determined?

Anybody with construction skills should really consider building a center speaker based on the SEAS coaxial drivers. These drivers are grossly under utilized in center speakers.
They are the best currently available coaxial drivers and independent tests have found them superior to the KEF coaxial drivers.
Can you provide a link to these tests?
TIA

cheers,

AJ

AJinFLA

AJinFLA

Banned
Nothing like mixing up two different posts and twisting them around. Do you work for the media? :rolleyes:
:confused:

Have you figured out yet where your purported PSB vs 362 comparison took place Mr. EE??
Still no recollection?:)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
:confused:

Have you figured out yet where your purported PSB vs 362 comparison took place Mr. EE??
Still no recollection?:)
No where did TLS state that acoustically transparent" screens are uncompromising so I'm curious to see how you arrived at that thought or is that just you twisting things out of context again? Oh wait.. Yes it is. :rolleyes:

AJinFLA

AJinFLA

Banned
No where did TLS state that acoustically transparent" screens are uncompromising
No perfect solution to this....without using a projector and acoustically transparent screen.
Did your EE in French? :p
Whereas we can localize vertically, we do, not as well, as horizontally. A slight displacement (1-1.5') will matter little. Center below the screen is fine, with the LR 1-1.5' above this. The "transparent" screens introduce their own problems.
But of course, as an "EE", you already know this. ;)
Perhaps you have forgotten....like the location of the PSB/Infinity dealership?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Did your EE in French? :p
Whereas we can localize vertically, we do, not as well, as horizontally. A slight displacement (1-1.5') will matter little. Center below the screen is fine, with the LR 1-1.5' above this. The "transparent" screens introduce their own problems.
But of course, as an "EE", you already know this. ;)
Perhaps you have forgotten....like the location of the PSB/Infinity dealership?
there you go AJ.. Thanks for proving positive that TLS did not state that in black and white as you stated that TLS said that acoustically transparent" screens are uncompromising. ;) You've been a great help. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis