Best Cable and Connectors

N

NR8

Audiophyte
Hi,

To all having HT setups, need your advice in few things. I am confused in order to choose cable and banana connectors.

I have shortlisted three cables (oxygen free) and three connectors.

1- 12agw Bluejeans cable (expensive)
2- 12agw mediabridge
3- 12agw monoprice

4- banaconnectors by bluejeans (very expensive 1pair $4)
5- bc by mediabridge
6- deadbolt banana by Swelldirect (have issues with loose connections)

Can you please let me know which one you are using.

Thanks,

NR

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
For the cable I would pick the cheapest and for connectors the ones you personally like most. I myself use bare ofc wire with no connectors.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
If we are just talking speaker wire, it's pretty much a toss up, buy the cheapest, but I do have some comments to make. I do have some Monoprice speaker wire that has discolored over the years. It's odd, but all of the exterior of the copper even under the insulation has gotten the green color to it. Oddly, I have some other Monoprice cable that is different AWG, bought at the same time, and it has NOT done this. I'm thinking maybe the insulation had some contamination on that spool. Regardless, it doesn't affect the sound, but I don't like to see it.

RCA Cables:
I really like the BJC, but note that some of their cables are very stiff and can't be bent well. I don't remember the model #s, but I prefer their more flexible cables.

I also really like mediabridge. The few cables and adapters that I have from them are top notch!

Monoprice--while these are fairly good quality, for me they tend to have connections that are too tight. They work on some of my gear, but not all of it, so I tend to avoid that.

Banana Plugs:
These are by far the best that I have found:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006U3O566/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are pretty good too, make a nice rugged connection with 2 set screws. I often discard the outer jacket on these and use heat-shrink instead for a nice slim connector.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005E1CGZC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

N

NR8

Audiophyte
Thanks for the feedback. BJC has very good reviews but that comes with cost i.e. 0.52$ per ft whereas mediabridge/monoprice cost 0.29$per ft with similar specs. I might end up with mediabridge.

As for the banana plugs, the one you have mentioned are from swelldirect and have many issues of getting loose after first use as their 'tip' gets flat.

I really want to buy BJC connectors but $4 per pair is crazy price.

Looking for more feedbacks before I decide.

NR

If we are just talking speaker wire, it's pretty much a toss up, buy the cheapest, but I do have some comments to make. I do have some Monoprice speaker wire that has discolored over the years. It's odd, but all of the exterior of the copper even under the insulation has gotten the green color to it. Oddly, I have some other Monoprice cable that is different AWG, bought at the same time, and it has NOT done this. I'm thinking maybe the insulation had some contamination on that spool. Regardless, it doesn't affect the sound, but I don't like to see it.

RCA Cables:
I really like the BJC, but note that some of their cables are very stiff and can't be bent well. I don't remember the model #s, but I prefer their more flexible cables.

I also really like mediabridge. The few cables and adapters that I have from them are top notch!

Monoprice--while these are fairly good quality, for me they tend to have connections that are too tight. They work on some of my gear, but not all of it, so I tend to avoid that.

Banana Plugs:
These are by far the best that I have found:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006U3O566/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are pretty good too, make a nice rugged connection with 2 set screws. I often discard the outer jacket on these and use heat-shrink instead for a nice slim connector.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005E1CGZC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for the feedback. BJC has very good reviews but that comes with cost i.e. 0.52$ per ft whereas mediabridge/monoprice cost 0.29$per ft with similar specs. I may go with mediabridge.

As for the banana plugs, the one you have mentioned are from swelldirect and have many issues of being loose in first use as their 'tip' gets flat.

I really want to buy BJC connectors but $4 per pair is crazy price.

Looking for more feedbacks before I decide.

NR
OK, well I'm telling you that I personally like those first BPs that I linked, and they are by far the best that I have tried FOR MY EQUIPMENT and FOR MY NEEDS. I found these from another member on this site. YMMV, so take it for what it's worth.

Also, if you have never visited parts-express.com then go have a look over there.

B

billy wilson

Audiophyte
Can anyone out there help me with the following? I have just purchased 2 emotiva A-300 basx power amps to power my over head speakers in my newly added atmos system. My question is my emotiva xpa 5 and Marantz prepro are connected via xlr but in hast I assumed the new amps dwould have xlr inputs, they dont. So my question: is it ok to use the xlr for 5 speakers and interconnects for the overhead speakers. Can anyone recommend the correct interconnects to use? quality maker?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Can anyone out there help me with the following? I have just purchased 2 emotiva A-300 basx power amps to power my over head speakers in my newly added atmos system. My question is my emotiva xpa 5 and Marantz prepro are connected via xlr but in hast I assumed the new amps dwould have xlr inputs, they dont. So my question: is it ok to use the xlr for 5 speakers and interconnects for the overhead speakers. Can anyone recommend the correct interconnects to use? quality maker?
Won't make one bit of difference.

I have used plenty of different pricey interconnects and now use these. No BS, just quality product:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/audio/index.htm

Last edited:
S

Strum und Drang

Enthusiast
I first used MediaBridge 16 gauge, copper clad aluminum (CCA) wire before I read some of the articles from this website. The 16 gauge wire seems very flimsy compared to either 14 or 12 gauge wire.

I now have MediaBridge 12 gauge wire bought from Amazon. I also bought their banana plugs. The banana plugs almost look like a knock off of the Sewell deadbolt plugs, except the plug itself is solid. They fit very snug and can be removed and reinserted and remain snug and the plug does not degrade as some of the reviews say about Sewell. The MediaBridge banana plugs are VERY EASY to work with and, even for me, installing them was a breeze. They are about $25 for 12 pairs.

I went with the Mediabridge speaker wire over Blue Jeans Cable. The OFC multi strand 12 gauge wire looks to be a generic, commodity and MediaBridge stuff is well made and only 42 cents per foot for 100 feet including s/h and no tax. If you have very long speaker runs (plus 50 feet) Blue Jeans Cable has OFC 10 gauge speaker wire. The 10 gauge wire is not as readily available at Amazon as 12 gauge and higher.

Mediabridge 12AWG 2-Conductor Speaker Wire (100 Feet, White) - 99.9% Oxygen Free Copper – UL Listed CL2 Rated for In-Wall Use

Mediabridge Banana Plugs - Corrosion-Resistant 24K Gold-Plated Connectors - 12 Pair/24 Banana

L

Louise

Audiophyte
Need suggestions for speaker wire for floor-standing speakers, KEF iQ70 (mainly for listening to CD, sometimes as part of the 7.1 home theatre system) for the following gears. I really need transparency of vocals when listening to CDs. Would also appreciate suggestions for a power filter.

Oppo BDP-105
Marantz SR7007
KEF iQ70
Tannoy TFX 5.1

Many thanks!

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Need suggestions for speaker wire for floor-standing speakers, KEF iQ70 (mainly for listening to CD, sometimes as part of the 7.1 home theatre system) for the following gears. I really need transparency of vocals when listening to CDs. Would also appreciate suggestions for a power filter.

Oppo BDP-105
Marantz SR7007
KEF iQ70
Tannoy TFX 5.1

Many thanks!
Any 12 gauge copper stranded cables will be indistinguishable from any other properly-designed cables. I recommend your favorite mechanical terminations too, like banana plugs or spades. Bare wire is error-prone, IMO, with stranded wire, though it works just fine. Anyone who tells you there are audible differences between appropriate speaker cables is misguided.

Why do you think you need a power filter (like an isolation transformer)? Or are you really looking for surge protection, and you're just calling it a power filter?

Last edited:
MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

I like my BJC ultrasonically welded locking banana plugs.
IMG_1281.JPG

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If anyone is looking for RCA cables, as long as they are still around, buying "video component cables (which are obsolete is a bargain)! You can just peel off the third cable and you have stereo RCA cables.
https://www.parts-express.com/Search.aspx?keyword=video component cable&sitesearch=true

Unfortunately, the inventory appears to be getting low on the popular 3' and 6' cables.
I bought both Belkin and AR and can say that they are quality cables.
For me, Quality cables require 2 things:
1 No too stiff - my biggest problem with the bargain monoprice cables
2 Fit nicely onto terminals - I don't know if it is a matter of construction tolerance or designing some spring into the terminals, but I have had some that were way too tight and others that would come loose if I shifted anything around.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

If anyone is looking for RCA cables, as long as they are still around, buying "video component cables (which are obsolete is a bargain)! You can just peel off the third cable and you have stereo RCA cables.
https://www.parts-express.com/Search.aspx?keyword=video component cable&sitesearch=true

Unfortunately, the inventory appears to be getting low on the popular 3' and 6' cables.
I bought both Belkin and AR and can say that they are quality cables.
For me, Quality cables require 2 things:
1 No too stiff - my biggest problem with the bargain monoprice cables
2 Fit nicely onto terminals - I don't know if it is a matter of construction tolerance or designing some spring into the terminals, but I have had some that were way too tight and others that would come loose if I shifted anything around.
Great tip, KEW! I've got a drawer full of those old RCA VCR cables !

L

Louise

Audiophyte
Any 12 gauge copper stranded cables will be indistinguishable for any other properly-designed cables. I recommend your favorite mechanical terminations too, like banana plugs or spades. Bare wire is error-prone, IMO, with stranded wire, though it works just fine. Anyone who tells you there are audible differences between appropriate speaker cables is misguided.

Why do you think you need a power filter (like an isolation transformer)? Or are you really looking for surge protection, and you're just calling it a power filter?
Thanks!! That's gonna save me some bucks for other stuff
I'm already using surge protection, but was seeing ppl using power conditioners saying the background is quieter, sound is improved, etc.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks!! That's gonna save me some bucks for other stuff
I'm already using surge protection, but was seeing ppl using power conditioners saying the background is quieter, sound is improved, etc.
There are cases where a "power filter" can help, but in my experience they're rare. I lived in a highly RF-active area (due to multiple local military bases) years ago, and I finally used an isolation transformer for the line-level components, and it helped. Nonetheless, once I moved I haven't had any similar problems and no longer use the transformer. The audiophile company marketing about a general lowering of background noise is almost always nonsense.

2channel lover

Sewell Direct banana plugs.

The connection issues are probably due to install problems...to ensure full contact with the plug, the bare wire should be about a 1/4" long (long is not better). Once the bare wire is inserted through the body of the base of the plug, you fold the bare wire back over top of the metal throat (with the bare wire all spread out) that you inserted the wire through. Then screw down the banana part. That should be a secure connection.

If you don't fold the bare wire back over the top of the metal throat before you screw the banana plug in I can see how one could have connection issues.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sewell Direct banana plugs.

The connection issues are probably due to install problems...to ensure full contact with the plug, the bare wire should be about a 1/4" long (long is not better). Once the bare wire is inserted through the body of the base of the plug, you fold the bare wire back over top of the metal throat (with the bare wire all spread out) that you inserted the wire through. Then screw down the banana part. That should be a secure connection.

If you don't fold the bare wire back over the top of the metal throat before you screw the banana plug in I can see how one could have connection issues.
Even better don't use that crimp style banana plug, use one with set screws. The Sewell Silverbacks work very well, two set screws for secure connection.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis