Best Buy Guy; OLED and HDR...?

Does OLED technology have an advantage, disadvantage, or is it moot, in displaying HDR?

• Total voters
Valentino Molinar

Valentino Molinar

Enthusiast
Does OLED technology have an advantage, disadvantage, or is it moot, in displaying HDR?

Feel free to explain or just vote.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Huh? What exactly are you asking? HDR is image processing. A quality display of any type will display it fine.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Huh? What exactly are you asking? HDR is image processing. A quality display of any type will display it fine.
Lets agree to disagree John. What TV makers mean by HDR is the ability to display wider range of gamma, not what you think of HDR - as in image processing to be able to "fake" HDR on none HDR screen.

As for Oled - I think they are the future once they figure out how to build then cheaper and more durable long term.

Valentino Molinar

Valentino Molinar

Enthusiast
OLED doesn't have rear lighting, because of that, will it excel at visual brightness or be hindered, or no affect at all.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
OLED doesn't have rear lighting, because of that, will it excel at visual brightness or be hindered, or no affect at all.
Not related. Oled individual pixel lighting will excel in extremely good contrast ratio (actual not often falsely claimed)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Lets agree to disagree John. What TV makers mean by HDR is the ability to display wider range of gamma, not what you think of HDR - as in image processing to be able to "fake" HDR on none HDR screen.
OK, I see. New buzzword. Again, type of display (LED or OLED) will not matter to HDR. On a high quality display of either type, you will not really notice the difference. LED will outlast an OLED because OLED will dim over time.

As for Oled - I think they are the future once they figure out how to build then cheaper and more durable long term.
That's been going on for over 15 years and we're still not there yet. OLED is easy to make in smaller sizes because yield is higher because more screens are cut from a larger panel. For larger displays, the defects affect more of them and yield goes down. Manufacturing them is actually cheap, but yield kills it.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
That's been going on for over 15 years and we're still not there yet. OLED is easy to make in smaller sizes because yield is higher because more screens are cut from a larger panel. For larger displays, the defects affect more of them and yield goes down. Manufacturing them is actually cheap, but yield kills it.
Agreed, I hope they will eventually figure out how to make better quality, lesser in defects, larger panels

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Agreed, I hope they will eventually figure out how to make better quality, lesser in defects, larger panels
Companies are definitely pushing toward OLED, espeically with Apple making the move, so improvements will likely come much more quickly now. Not the least of which, we'll see what happens with Foxconn taking over Sharp's display business and what that does for the industry.

Valentino Molinar

Valentino Molinar

Enthusiast
Interesting, without a back light array, OLED's natural "brightness" decay is more prevalent than LED. Which in turn means a shorter life span. So as it stands, one could say that the quality of an OLED, at present, is front loaded, where as LED has a much longer life span. And when I say front loaded, I talking about the contrast.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
HDR is all about the color accuracy and contrast. While LCD has, for years, been very good at colors, the contrast ratios have always been greyer than what plasma has delivered. This is where OLED has a real advantage in meeting HDR requirements. They are able to reach down and really hit the black levels which is required of HDR displays. What they may lack, is enough brightness to hit the peak whites which HDR is asking of them, but I don't think this will be a long term issue. I think that OLED is bright, and can get brighter, while still maintaining those inky blacks, and delivering colors that are going to rival what LCD displays can deliver.

There are other OLED issues that I'm not about to discuss, but when it comes to HDR, OLED has a solid advantage.

Oh - and HDR photography and HDR displays aren't the same thing. It's not 'processing' - it's an actual measurement of the capabilities of the display which includes color gamut reproduction, peak brightness, and black level measurements.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Another aspect of OLED is that it can be susceptible to static image burn in. Though this appears to be much less of a permanent fear that early Plasma TVs.

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
At this point there is no failing OLED displays. So far, it's only conjecture. No other technology that compares to OLED in the highest Contrast ratio possible. Colors are amazing. Blacks are silky black. Backlighting/ Edge lighting will fade away quickly. You will never hear about that again. It's old technology. To my knowledge, there are no more LCD TV's. Sharp sold it's TV business to Pioneer, who turned around & sold it to either TCL or Hisense. Due to the demise of TV's from Pioneer, Toshiba, JVC, etc, it seems that Hisense & TCL have taken over. Previously unknown, these Korean Companies are doing quite well. TV's from both of them look pretty god, for the ones I've seen (promising).
OLED: Individually lit pixels. They are able to turn off the light completely, which is why their black levels are at the top of the rest.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Another aspect of OLED is that it can be susceptible to static image burn in. Though this appears to be much less of a permanent fear that early Plasma TVs.
No tech is without issues. LCD was already all but immune to burn in for a long time. OLED has other potential issues though color drift and dimming over its lifespan, though these things are getting better all the time. For as long as OLED has been around (not consumer) you would think these things would have been fully addressed by now.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
... For as long as OLED has been around (not consumer) you would think these things would have been fully addressed by now.
Gravity waves have been around from day 1. and just now have it been detected. ;) :D
Yes, I know, we haven't been around from day 1.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
OLED: Individually lit pixels. They are able to turn off the light completely, which is why their black levels are at the top of the rest.
Boy, do those pixels need wire, one or two, to operate? Lots of pixels in a TV. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis