Best British floorstanders under 500 GBP

M

matteos

Enthusiast
Hi all... I'm buying a pair of floorstanding speakers for my Dad. Budget cannot exceed 500 quid. He likes mostly classical and listening to the radio so ones with good bass response, also he hates the harshness of metallic tweeters so a nice pair of soft domes would be best for him. Something with great dynamic range, imaging, bass response (but tight) and instrument separation.

The brands I'm familiar with are all American as I live in the States but he lives in the UK. So far I've seen

Q Acoustics 2050i
MORDAUNT SHORT AVIANO 8
TANNOY REVOLUTION DC6T (these are a little out of my budget so I probably can't get them)

I can't stretch the budget further it's already been stretched. I have no knowledge of British stuff except B&W (I don't much like and I don't think he will due to metal tweeters) and cambridge amps.
Thanks

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
so ones with good bass response, also he hates the harshness of metallic tweeters so a nice pair of soft domes would be best for him. Something with great dynamic range, imaging, bass response (but tight) and instrument separation.
You want all that for around $801.00 USA?

Mordaunt Short has aluminum tweeters.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi all... I'm buying a pair of floorstanding speakers for my Dad. Budget cannot exceed 500 quid. He likes mostly classical and listening to the radio so ones with good bass response, also he hates the harshness of metallic tweeters so a nice pair of soft domes would be best for him. Something with great dynamic range, imaging, bass response (but tight) and instrument separation.

The brands I'm familiar with are all American as I live in the States but he lives in the UK. So far I've seen

Q Acoustics 2050i
MORDAUNT SHORT AVIANO 8
TANNOY REVOLUTION DC6T (these are a little out of my budget so I probably can't get them)

I can't stretch the budget further it's already been stretched. I have no knowledge of British stuff except B&W (I don't much like and I don't think he will due to metal tweeters) and cambridge amps.
Thanks
On your list the Quad 2050i the flagship of their 2000i series is a no brainer.

It is very good value for money and has received good reviews.

A pair is just within your budget from Internet discounters.

Most British speakers come at a premium. I don't know of any British speaker manufacturer, that makes a really bad speaker. They just won't sell in the UK like elsewhere. In the UK a much higher minimum standard is required.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis