best brands for rock music

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Best speakers for rock? Marshall, Fender, Crate, Peavey. Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Which PSB's did you get? Let me know how you like them!

KEF has a good reputation, but I have not auditioned them yet. I can probably get the IQ3's for $350-400 if I find a good deal or a demo. I have seen that before, but it would be an excellent deal and not easy to find. I would like to hear anyones personal experience with these as well....
I have the PSB Image T45s and they are an allround excellent speaker for any genre of music except for rap. The bass doesn't go low enogh for rap but since I think rap is crap, it doesn't bother me. :p

B

biguns

Enthusiast
After some research I have narrowed down the field to a more managable group:

Paradigm Mini Monitor
PSB Image B25
B&W 686
Ascend CBM 170SE or Axiom M3
Energy RC bookshelf

I don't think the B&W will be a winner (due to price and other factors) but it is at the same shop that sells Paradigm, so I might as well have a listen.

The tough choice now is to audition the Ascend or the Axiom as I don't want to risk having to pay return shipping twice. From what I can tell, the two speakers are similar in a number of ways. The Ascend may be a bit more detailed and the Axiom is better imaging.... I am leaning ever so slightly towards the Ascend at this time.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. It may be some time before I get to review these, but I will post my results whenever that is.

Soundman

Soundman

Audioholic Field Marshall
After some research I have narrowed down the field to a more managable group:

Paradigm Mini Monitor
PSB Image B25
B&W 686
Ascend CBM 170SE or Axiom M3
Energy RC bookshelf

I don't think the B&W will be a winner (due to price and other factors) but it is at the same shop that sells Paradigm, so I might as well have a listen.

The tough choice now is to audition the Ascend or the Axiom as I don't want to risk having to pay return shipping twice. From what I can tell, the two speakers are similar in a number of ways. The Ascend may be a bit more detailed and the Axiom is better imaging.... I am leaning ever so slightly towards the Ascend at this time.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. It may be some time before I get to review these, but I will post my results whenever that is.
If choosing between Ascend or Axiom, I would go with Ascend. If auditioning locally, the PSB's or Paridigm's, hmmmm...take a listen. they are both nice speakers. :D

B

biguns

Enthusiast
I will audition all speakers locally in hi-fi shops (Paradigm, PSB, B&W, Energy) . Whichever one of the 4 speakers I like best I will try and get a demo set to take home and compare to the Ascend/Axiom with in-home trial with my equipment.

That is the plan for now anyhow.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis