Best bookshelf speakers + integrated amp system? (Need to upgrade)

B

Bobcat

Audiophyte
Hey guys,

As im a layman when it comes to hifi i definitely need some advice upgrading my system. I purchased a pair of KEF Q100 paired with a Marantz M-CR603 amplifier about 2 years ago and already feeling the need to upgrade. I feel like it lacks punch and bass. It doesn’t handle moderate to high volumes very well. I listened to a variety of music from acoustic to hip-hop. But a good chunk of the music I listen to is house music (deep house in particular) and this leaves me craving for a deep, solid and punchy bass among other things. So let me list a few things to look out for before you guys can help me answer my question:

1) I live in a 152 square meters 2 bedroom apartment. The listening area is about a third of that.

2) Listening distance from speakers to where I sit down is a little over 2 meters.

3) Getting floorstanders is absolutely out of the questions as they won’t fit into my apartment.

4) My budget for the speakers is about 500-1500 USD. For the amp is about the same.

So with these things in mind what should be the speaker and amplifier combo. I’ve been reading up that the B&W 685 s2 is a solid buy? I'm thinking of getting that as an upgrade. Is there anything else in this price range that’s worth an audition?

The next question is what would be the best amp for the 685 s2. These amps have come up a lot.

Rotel RA 11/RA 12

Roksan Kandy K2 BT

Rega Brio R/Elex R

Arcam FMJ A19

NAD D 3020

My last question is it probably better just to get a subwoofer?

Thanks so much :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Of course it is better to get subwoofers. No towers under $2K is going to give you great punchy bass, certainly no bookshelf speakers at any price.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
This one is no brainier: just get a great sub, preferably one which extends flat up-to 200hz like SVS SB1000
You would need it in any case - no bookshelf speaker (and very few towers) could deliver the bass you crave. it's a job for sub.

You I can't find any mentions of bass management on your Marantz receiver. It might be wise to invest in proper amp with proper bass management like Denon X1000 - now with amazon pre-owned/open box (same warranty as new product - 3 years from Denon)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00CALM2JY/ref=olp_tab_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
You need a nice subwoofer

I would listen to B&W before you buy them.

B

Bobcat

Audiophyte
thanks for the feedback guys, appreciate it. any other recommendations for a good sub besides SVS BoredSysAdmin?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis