Best Blu Rays to test Home Theater or Surround Sound

P

Pupp

Audioholic Intern
I wanted to start a thread on movies that are really good for testing a home theater or surround sound. (duplicity for the sake of google crawlers) :p

I don't want to rehash the few movies already pointed out, not to mention there are probably dozens of really good movies to test surround sound.

One wanted to add in particular though:

Terminator 2.

Hands down some bad ass surround sound. I think the epoch of the surround sound is toward the end when they're in the epic battle at the computer company that designed Skynet. The clarity of breaking glass coupled with the sounds of gunfire and everything else is amazing.

And please post some stuff that shows off other aspects of surround sound, like more subtle sounds in a quiet film where nuances of sounds can made everything.
-for example a night scene where the grass is rustling and the insects are chirping. Another example would be a horror movie where very delicate sound in the darkness can be used to great effect. (For example ominous footsteps in the background).

On a side note, I think the beginning of Terminator 2 has the best movie intro. I'm rather surprised it never makes any lists for "top 10 best movie intros".

Seeing a playground burning to the ground is both amazing and chilling in it's bleakness.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
My personal Favorites:

Saving Private Ryan (positional) but I think it's 5.1 (opening battle scene)
007 Skyfall Final Fight Sequence, it convinced me that amps sounded different and I bought my Halo (ducks to avoid all the rocks thrown at me because I am a crazy)
Tron Legacy: Great use of Soundtrack, really enjoyed it the first time I heard it.

There are many more, but just a few that comes to mind.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Last edited:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters gave my system a pretty good workout.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Eye and ear candy.. One hot bass track that caused an empty pop can vibrate across the counter and fall into the kitchen sink. Sub is located directly underneath the kitchen in the basement.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Is there a 3D thread recommending which one to get? I could have sworn there was one? No?

S

SAMSUNG HUNG

Audioholic Intern
Master And Commander the creaking of the wood planks puts you right there and U571 with the depth charges are insane, both are must owns!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis