Best advice for buying a new home theater receiver?

What do you look for in a new AV Receiver?

• Amplifier Power (iw. watts/ch and # of channels driven)

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • New Audio/Video Processing Features (ie. Dolby Atmos)

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • New AV Streaming features (ie. Spotify, Pandora, etc)

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Multi-zone features (support AV in other zones of the home)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • One that makes me coffee in the morning (come on people!)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Buying Guide: How to Shop an A/V Receiver

We'd like to say that we've created a definitive guide on receiver buying. Of course, every person's needs are unique. What we have tried to create is a general guide on how to whittle down your choices. Once they are down to a reasonable level, choosing between the available options will be as much an emotional decision as it is a rational one. Our hope is that, in the end, you purchase a receiver with all the features you need without paying for features you don't. Read on to find out how to get all the receiver you need without paying for features you may never use.

How to Shop AV Receivers

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Would be hard to choose just 1 of the attributes in the poll.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would buy the AVR that has the features I want - Audyssey XT32 Dynamic EQ & dual Sub EQ. :)

I don't drink coffee so that feature isn't as important. ;)

Washing the dishes --- now that I would take. :D

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
DAC. My system doubles as my 2ch. system. Sound quality above all else. That being said.
I prefer a basic 5.x setup for home theatre. So I personally am not looking for more channels.
Up to date formats without paying for the newest thing that may not last. Atmos? Well, we'll see. Remember BETA?
Biggest, strongest amp section I can afford.
Ease of use. Well laid out, easy remote.
Overall look of the unit. Has to fit the décor.
Streaming is cool, but everything else, from your display to your Blu-Ray can stream these days. Sort of redundant.
Multi zone. Do you need it?
Last, but not least. Quality. It has to be trouble free, work every time, no excuses. Why should I expect less when spending hard earned money.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I would buy the AVR that has the features I want - Audyssey XT32 Dynamic EQ & dual Sub EQ. :)

I don't drink coffee so that feature isn't as important. ;)

Washing the dishes --- now that I would take. :D
Give us your best Audyssey (XT32 Dynamic EQ & dual Sub EQ) or give us nothing at all. I agree with ADTG - auto room correction is the first feature I look-up in new avr models to see how they stack up. Pre-outs is often second.

Couldn't give a damn less about Dolby lostmos or streaming, I stream from my xbmc htpc - much richer interface and much more options anyways.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Give us your best Audyssey (XT32 Dynamic EQ & dual Sub EQ) or give us nothing at all. I agree with ADTG - auto room correction is the first feature I look-up in new avr models to see how they stack up. Pre-outs is often second.

Couldn't give a damn less about Dolby lostmos or streaming, I stream from my xbmc htpc - much richer interface and much more options anyways.

XBMC and Audyssey are my best friends. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis