Benefit of one SMS-1 with three subs?

M

MikeSp

Junior Audioholic
I understand the benefit of the SMS-1 when used with a single subwoofer. However, I am interested in connecting each of its three LFE outputs to a different subwoofer. Since the three subs not only interact with the room but with each other, I am wondering if it would be worthwhile to attempt to equalize all three subs at once using the SMS-1--in attempting to tame the room interactions as well as their interactions with each other??

MikeSp

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
The SMS-1 equalizes for the mic position, not your subwoofers or your subwoofer positions. So you could have a gazillion subs coming out of the SMS-1 outputs, and the SMS-1 would still do its job. I'm not sure how a gazillion subs would work out though. Technically or practically.

M

MikeSp

Junior Audioholic
Thanks Josuah--that was the confirmation that I needed that my subwoofers could benefit--I ordered one.

MikeSp

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Actually you will likely achieve better results EQing just one of the subs and running the others in Bypass. I don't recommend applying one global EQ to all 3 subs, especially since they are likely located at different path distances from the listening area.

BTW, you are better off with 2 or 4 subs, NOT 3. Odd # of subs in a room can create more anomalies then they solve. I would personally use 2 subs over 3.

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
When you say path differences, wouldn't phase adjustment be the solution to that?

But I imagine the result from EQ'ing one sub would sort of be the same as EQ'ing all three, because you just need to cut at certain frequences. You could cut one sub by x amount or all three by y amount and achieve the same result. But I guess I don't understand what you mean by path differences so my hypothesis could be flawed.

M

MikeSp

Junior Audioholic
Gene--Actually I replaced my trusty old Def Tech PF1800 with two Reference Supercubes and they are equidistant from the listening position. Then I thought--hey, I have a decent 18 inch sub that is still very functional, so why not place it in the back of the room since it has little resale value after 10 years and at this point, with lots of testing, it has not contributed any to the overall perceived LFE or with a RS sound level meter added a single dB of sound at the listening position. Obviously, when the SMS-1 arrives, I will have lots of testing to do and certainly will be willing to remove the PF1800 from the system. Thanks for your advice.

MikeSp

M

MikeSp

Junior Audioholic
SMS-1 Works GREAT for equalizing three subs

It takes some time using the SMS-1 to equalize three subs since there are three sets of variables (phase, gain, placement, etc.) but it makes it easier to actually watch the graph on the screen and get real time feedback about any changes in order to obtain 25-80 Hz +/-3 dB. I was shocked to see how much difference a little bit of phase change or difference in gain in one sub could make or how much difference in moving a piece of furniture or opening a door... It also became obvious how much difference in sound there could be when moving just a few feet from the listening position, by moving the microphone to various positions. Did the subwoofage sound any better when finished--no comparison to when I started--MUCH stronger and tighter bass was the result. :D

Mike

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis