Behringer Truth 2030P VS BIC DV62si

B

billcrosby

Audiophyte
Looking for some quality speakers for use on my computer. It will be used for almost nothing but music, no specific genre. Just want something that will play very nicely.

No more than $200.

It looks like both of these are really nice:

- Behringer Truth 2030P
- BIC DV62si

Also, how do I hook this up to my computer? I have no experience with computer speakers really, do I need some sort of preamp or adapter or something?

Thanks a lot!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Behringer, no contest.

You will need a receiver or amplifier of some sort. I would suggest buying a used receiver (stereo or surround) if the budget is tight. Often the cheapest receivers are old surround sounds receiver with plain old Dolby Pro Logic. They are designed for surround sound but are often more effective for stereo output for a similarly priced stereo receiver. The reason being, the surround sound receiver will typically have a larger power supply than a comparably priced stereo receiver, and this translates to more headroom. Because dolby pro logic is dead as door nails they are cheap.

B

billcrosby

Audiophyte
Thats what I figured. Thanks for the info.

So I guess I have it narrowed down to:

Behringer Truth 2030P

&

Polk Audio RTi4

What about between these two, what is the best choice?

Also would anyone recommend a cheap good amp rather than using a home theater receiver - I was considering this one: Pyle - Mini 2x75W Stereo Power Amplifier - PCA3 -

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Behringer, no contest.

You will need a receiver or amplifier of some sort. I would suggest buying a used receiver (stereo or surround) if the budget is tight. Often the cheapest receivers are old surround sounds receiver with plain old Dolby Pro Logic. They are designed for surround sound but are often more effective for stereo output for a similarly priced stereo receiver. The reason being, the surround sound receiver will typically have a larger power supply than a comparably priced stereo receiver, and this translates to more headroom. Because dolby pro logic is dead as door nails they are cheap.
Pro logic may be dead, but nearly all DVD and Blu-ray players have the option to downmix into it. as far as choosing between the B2030p's and the polks, i personally would go with the polks because they have a lower frequency response and polks IMO sound great, i haven't heard the 2030p's but many members on here recommend them and claim they are incredibly accurate for the price. Polk also tends to have a bright sound, which isnt necessarily bad, but expect slight over-exageration by the highs, i have found room acoustics play a big part in just how bright they sound. I'm sure you will be happy with either of them. also to hook this up to your computer all you need is this http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021802&p_id=5577&seq=1&format=2

Last edited:
Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Thats what I figured. Thanks for the info.

So I guess I have it narrowed down to:

Behringer Truth 2030P

&

Polk Audio RTi4

What about between these two, what is the best choice?

Also would anyone recommend a cheap good amp rather than using a home theater receiver - I was considering this one: Pyle - Mini 2x75W Stereo Power Amplifier - PCA3 -
NO, avoid pyle, they are garbage, if you want a low priced stereo receiver try this http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=252-125 i have personally messed around with this particular receiver and it works very good for the money and is well built.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Pro logic may be dead, but nearly all DVD and Blu-ray players have the option to downmix into it. as far as choosing between the B2030p's and the polks, i personally would go with the polks because they have a lower frequency response and polks IMO sound great, i haven't heard the 2030p's but many members on here recommend them and claim they are incredibly accurate for the price. Polk also tends to have a bright sound, which isnt necessarily bad, but expect slight over-exageration by the highs, i have found room acoustics play a big part in just how bright they sound. I'm sure you will be happy with either of them. also to hook this up to your computer all you need is this http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021802&p_id=5577&seq=1&format=2
Then there's option 4

You could get the Behringer 2031p, it's a bit larger with an 8.75" woofer, therefore its extension edges out anything on your list. The price is still astoundingly low.

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-B2031P-Ultra-Linear-Reference-Monitor/dp/B000LQ2ABK

Jon, I think you meant to direct him to a set of these.:D

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021804&p_id=5599&seq=1&format=2

In your honest opinion, if you had to choose between the Pioneer Dolby Pro Logic receiver you have and the Sherwood RX-4105, which would you rather have? I recommended an old Pro Logic receiver because it's A. built better and B. will probably have better performance for stereo operation.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I A/B'd the TSi 100's vs the 2031p's and the 2031p's, for about $35 less, ate them alive.

B

billcrosby

Audiophyte
Thanks again for all the advice.

One more thing - I am going to be using these for nothing but LISTENING to music, not mixing/recording. I realize that these are studio monitors and wonder if their quality will actually ruin the listening experience since its only going to be MP3's (i have much of it 256-320kbps) but not much FLAC.

In response to PYLE amp being garbage, why? Isn't there anything more compact that I can use? It'd be a pain to have a big *** stereo receiver on my desk hehe.

Thanks again guys.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks again for all the advice.

One more thing - I am going to be using these for nothing but LISTENING to music, not mixing/recording. I realize that these are studio monitors and wonder if their quality will actually ruin the listening experience since its only going to be MP3's (i have much of it 256-320kbps) but not much FLAC.

In response to PYLE amp being garbage, why? Isn't there anything more compact that I can use? It'd be a pain to have a big *** stereo receiver on my desk hehe.

Thanks again guys.
Audiosource makes a low cost amp and if you don't mind a building an enclosure you could also use a Sure amp.

If you'd like a receiver Panasonic HE's are pretty decent for the low end stuff. They go for around 70 on ebay

jinjuku

jinjuku

I don't know about that Pyle amp in particular. They just don't have the best reputation out there.

That amp is underrated for your speakers which means that you can clip the signal early on and damage the voice coils on the speaker if you really get on the volume knob.

I prefer to purchase an amp that has a higher rated wattage (RMS) than my speakers. You are also going to want a setup that allows for a sub. Trust me a properly integrated sub (or the ability to add one on at a later date) is a MUST for even music listening when you are just dealing with a pair of bookshelf speakers.

B

billcrosby

Audiophyte
Good point. So you think sticking with an older or perhaps newer legit stereo receiver is the way to achieve that?

So when you say that you prefer to purchase an amp with a higher wattage rating than the speakers, in my case I would want an amp/receiver with at least 150 watts per channel?

Also, any comments on the fact that I'll be listening to MP3's with these studio monitors?

jinjuku

jinjuku

Good point. So you think sticking with an older or perhaps newer legit stereo receiver is the way to achieve that?

So when you say that you prefer to purchase an amp with a higher wattage rating than the speakers, in my case I would want an amp/receiver with at least 150 watts per channel?

Also, any comments on the fact that I'll be listening to MP3's with these studio monitors?
With 320kbps MP's I believe that you will be fine. I would be surprised if 1 out of a 100 so called 'golden ears' could tell the difference from a 320kbps MP3 and it's loss-less counterpart.

You could try netting an older HK receiver also. But yes if you can get a stereo in the 150-200 wpc range you should be good to go.

The 2031p is a 4ohm speaker, the 2030p is 8ohm. You should be fine even with a 4ohm 2 way bookshelf.

B

billcrosby

Audiophyte
Perfect.

Should I be worried about 8ohm vs 4ohm?

These speakers will never be played LOUDLY.

They are in my office, in a condo, so, yeah.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
With 320kbps MP's I believe that you will be fine. I would be surprised if 1 out of a 100 so called 'golden ears' could tell the difference from a 320kbps MP3 and it's loss-less counterpart.

You could try netting an older HK receiver also. But yes if you can get a stereo in the 150-200 wpc range you should be good to go.

The 2031p is a 4ohm speaker, the 2030p is 8ohm. You should be fine even with a 4ohm 2 way bookshelf.
past 256 its really hard to tell. anything below 160 is when it becomes obvious imo. with aac 128 is hard to tell, and according to out of phase tests between the lossless and 256 aac theres hardly any information lost and most of it is not musical. if you have the choice between ripping or downloading mp3 vs aac i would choose aac in the future i.e. the itunes store vs amazons store.

Mika75

Mika75

Audioholic
Have u considered purchasing an active version, Behringer 1030A - 2031A ?

G

goonstopher

Audioholic Intern
I recommended the 2030p's to a friend and he raves about them. He drives them with some cheap 200 yamaha reciever

B

billcrosby

Audiophyte
What would you guys say about the Berhinger's vs Audioengine 5?

Soves my problem of amp and price would be around the same.

You think the Audioengine 5's are really that nice?

S

SJTrance

Audioholic
Wait just a minute... isn't it so that some of the Behringer speakers are active speakers with built in amps? Doesn't that mean that he may be able to bypass buying an amp all together?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis